Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby afedorov » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Wow! I didn't bother to check what FZT705 is and assumed that you're know what you're doing. )
I'm seeing two cases:
Q1 is already dead and just shorted.
It's BE acts like a 12V zener and through R2 provides enough current for regulators to work. But the resistor should be glowing then.
afedorov

Postby Doomedahab » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:31 pm

With Q1 shorted the whole thing would not work I presume? I soldered quite a bit yesterday with this death trap :) r2 seems fine, no discoloring or anything. Anyway, I ordered the correct part now and it will arrive tomorrow.
Doomedahab

Postby minkok » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:36 am

Doomedahab wrote:Hi Minkok,

I am aware that I can select different resistor values 1.3K/1.8K for R57, R59, to improve the range up or down if you cannot match the resistor value. In my case, I am juuuust able to get to the resistor value at the end of the range of the digital pot.

But it was unclear to me whether this same mechanism would apply to get the range you want from the tips you use (e.g. bigger tips run cooler, so if you use a lot of big tips you could adjust RC2 accordingly). But thanks for confirming this is the case :-)

Hello Doomedahab, you dont need to adjust each time RC2, the time you cange the tip with the same brand (JBC) and same series, but you may be need to do that in the other cases.
On page 85 I had similar problem and you can read what I did.
minkok

Postby Doomedahab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:09 am

minkok wrote:Hello Doomedahab, you dont need to adjust each time RC2, the time you cange the tip with the same brand (JBC) and same series, but you may be need to do that in the other cases.
On page 85 I had similar problem and you can read what I did.

I had bookmarked this page already, I did not realize this was you :-) Looks like changing R57 / R59 to 1.8K should get me the temperature I need, thanks Minkok!
Doomedahab

Postby Doomedahab » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Doomedahab wrote:With Q1 shorted the whole thing would not work I presume? I soldered quite a bit yesterday with this death trap :) r2 seems fine, no discoloring or anything. Anyway, I ordered the correct part now and it will arrive tomorrow.

I ordered some NZT605, they came in today and I replaced the wrong part with this. Works perfectly. Nothing seems so have been damaged by using the NPN part, which continues to puzzle me. There is a difference in the operation of my unisolder now however: calibration is spot on at the melting point of 63/37, while previously there was a 6 degree offset between the display and the actual temperature. I will test at higher temps to see if this holds true.
Doomedahab

Postby Doomedahab » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:53 am

I managed to calibrate my unisolder to within a few degrees celcius after replacing R57 and R59 with 1.8k resistors. I found some pure lead (on my roof haha) and it starts to melt at a display temperature of 326 degrees. Taking measurements with my biggest tip (4.8mm) on my hakko temp probe shows the temperature is accurate from 250 to 400 degrees, give or take a few degrees up or down. I'm happy!
Doomedahab

Postby db9mat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:34 am

Hi everyone,

I've almost finished building my UniSolder controller. Unfortunately, the OLED is behaving strange. As long as it's in the "default" mode (Currently showing "No instrument" as there's no instrument attached), all is fine, but it's flickering heavily whenever I change the temperature or go into the menu. A video of the behaviour can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sxLYt6KYHAuNwHra7
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might cause this?

Thanks a lot,
Mathis
db9mat

Postby afedorov » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:14 pm

db9mat, did you see the flickering exactly as in video, or camera sync adds to the distortion?
Please share some information about this screen and where did you get it.
afedorov

Postby db9mat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:51 pm

Flickering is exactly as seen in the video, unfortunately.

I got this display: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-0- ... 4c4dPkQMaA

It was recommended by a fellow user in this thread. Doesn't mean that I got the exact same hardware as he got when he ordered though...
db9mat

Postby afedorov » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:32 pm

Maybe there is a power outage on VDD or VCC, since as long as pixel fill is low it works OK. Or the screen is just defective.
Are Q14 and Q16 OK? I see that Q18, Q19, Q21, Q22 is not installed on your board and are of the same type as Q14 and Q16.
I've noticed, that some times the controller looses current regulation and the brightness of some parts of an image becomes much higher. It's really weird.
afedorov

Postby Doomedahab » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:31 pm

I received my sensor pcb and I am building it up right now. I always assumed the sole connection would be via the rj11 connector, but there's also a 6 pin header. What is it for? I cannot find clear pictures of it being connected to anything, and I am not able to figure it out from the schematics unfortunately
Doomedahab

Postby db9mat » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:06 pm

afedorov wrote:Are Q14 and Q16 OK? I see that Q18, Q19, Q21, Q22 is not installed on your board and are of the same type as Q14 and Q16.

You're very observant! Correct, Q18-22 are missing. I forgot to order the IRLML6401s and replaced Q14 and 16 with NDS356As (also P-Channel MOSFETs, but with higher R_DS,on) as I thought they're "just" for turning on VCC and VDD to the OLED. But you think they might be the cause for this problem? The proper FETs are on their way and should be here tomorrow. I'll replace them and report back if it fixes the problem.

Anyways, thanks a lot so far,
Mathis
db9mat

Postby db9mat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:19 am

Just got the delivery for the missing parts and replaced Q14 and 16 with Vishay SI2315BDS-T1-E3 as suggested in this thread. Unfortunately, the OLED still behaves the same. I'll solder in Q18-22, but I don't quite think that this will make a difference. So most probably my OLED is broken?
db9mat

Postby DinikS » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:28 am

Doomedahab wrote:.....but there's also a 6 pin header. What is it for? I cannot find clear pictures of it being connected to anything, and I am not able to figure it out from the schematics unfortunately

This 6-pin header is for flashing the microcontroller on sensor board. The firmware for sensor is in the sensor folder in the software archive.
DinikS

Postby Doomedahab » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 am

DinikS wrote:
Doomedahab wrote:.....but there's also a 6 pin header. What is it for? I cannot find clear pictures of it being connected to anything, and I am not able to figure it out from the schematics unfortunately

This 6-pin header is for flashing the microcontroller on sensor board. The firmware for sensor is in the sensor folder in the software archive.

Thanks!
Doomedahab

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs