Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby puzzle » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:54 am

@progrock:
Actually I have documented exact steps to program the chip somewhere between pages 63 to 69... well it is for windows but I think the MPLAB will work the same way on linux... and thanx to that exact list of steps I've been able to program my second controller almost an year later and not remembering anything from my previous attempt(first time programming a chip buy the way).
There are some specifics solely to Pickit3 when the device could not be found by the programmer - they are covered here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqYY_nOIn5c
I have published this link here already a year ago... wow, time flies :D
The important thing is to power the chip from the station - not the programmer...sparkybg mentioned why but now I can't remember exactly.

Cheers and Good luck

Edit: Found it at page 63... you may want to check it for the full discussion...

Test 2:
1. Connecting Pickit3 to PC and to 5 pin header on front board,
2.Powering the "soldering station" - I have the Iron connected but no heater in it.
3. Opening MPLab, and selecting programmer to Pickit3 - it has connected and found the chip, loaded correct firmware for pic32mx.
4. I chose "Import..." and browsed(UniSolder52_Software\front\US_BootLoader.X\dist\PIC32\production) to the "US_BootLoader.X.production.hex" and select "OPEN"
5. I select "Program" - it goes very fast true: " Programming... Programming/Verify complete" - And I IMIDEATELY have wiggling lines on the screen.
Now I will try to flash it true PC:
1. I remove Pickit3 from the board - not sure if I have to switch it off, but previously I did not and got nothing so now I will switch the board off.
2 Connecting USB cable to "Soldering station" - I use the cable of the programmer.
3. Open software - "UniSolder.exe" (UniSolder52_Software\PC\UniSolder\bin\Release\UniSolder.exe)
4. Switch the station on - I have wiggling lines on screen, no sounds, nothing on software or on the PC indicates that I have switched something
5. I press "Update firmware" and browse (UniSolder52_Software\front\US_Firmware.X\dist\PIC32_with_bootloader\production) to the "US_Firmware.X.production.hex" - I press "Open" - after 5-7 seconds I heard beep and now the station looks fine - it shows my iron and "Heater open" as it should.
So the only difference from my previous attempt was that I shut the station down this time. But still after flashing "bootloader" I had dose lines!
I'm a newbie at electronics and for that always take my words with a grain of salt - it is very possible I'm wrong!
puzzle

Postby Swiety » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Hey,
Is anyone here using UniSolder with JBC T245 handle and C245 cartridges? I mean long term especially.
I would like to build it with this setup, yet I would like to be 100% sure it is good investition.

P.S. My profile is being deleted each week. I don`t know why. I had to register it once more each week.
Swiety

Postby afedorov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:23 am

Swiety wrote:Is anyone here using UniSolder with JBC T245 handle and C245 cartridges

I've been using such a setup for almost 2 years (not as regular, though) with no problem. About good investition - yes, you build it by yourself, you know the hardware, have the schematics and the firmware sources, so you potentially can solve any problem that you may encounter in the long term, as opposed to closed source commercial product. But, I keeping track of the expenses that goes into this project and (for me) it is comparable to the retail price of CD-2Bx, though it's depends on your location and availability of electronics parts stores etc. Also, keep in mind that it's not a simple project, so you have to have some experience in electronics and soldering to successfully build this project.
Anyway, I really enjoyed building this awesome project that Sparky kindly bringing to us.

Swiety wrote:My profile is being deleted each week. I don`t know why. I had to register it once more each week.

It is antispam system or smth. like this. If I remember correctly you have to have at least one post in the forum to confirm your account.
afedorov

Postby Swiety » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Hey,
That`s some good info. You are right about schematic, firmware, etc. It is much more easier to maintain stuff for long time with all that information. You can basically build it from scratch, so repairing shouldn`t be a problem.
I know the prices. It will cost a bit, yet I believe it will be worthy.
For the stand I am going to use this one (I can`t post direct links due to spam possibility) -
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218&start=1755#p67301
Yet, I am not sure if sensor which is build in will work with UniSolder.

Most of the parts will be bought from Mouser. I am already waiting for PCBs (if someone from Poland, or it`s neighborhood would be interested let me know - the cost should be around few $ per set - no profit).

Do You use original T245 handle? Someone mentioned this one earlier (first one from list) -
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218&start=1755#p67307
It could be really nice alternative for less $$.

Second post - yay. If you are right my account shouldn`t be deleted anymore.
Swiety

Postby afedorov » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Swiety wrote:Do You use original T245 handle?

I'm using handle and cartridges bought from tme.eu, seems to be original, the quality is superior.
Making DIY handle seems to be not a trivial task for me, as making robust, high current contacts and ergonomic handle is not an easy job, also, original handle uses flexible heat resistant cable, and I didn't found such a cable yet (I still need it for another tool). Original handle well worth the price, imho.
afedorov

Postby vulkan35 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 am

Swiety wrote:It could be really nice alternative for less $$.

DI3000, AS600 handle

Swiety wrote:Yet, I am not sure if sensor which is build in will work with UniSolder

sensor
vulkan35

Postby projector42 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 am

original handle uses flexible heat resistant cable, and I didn't found such a cable yet
try this:
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-Sale ... 75415.html
projector42

Postby Swiety » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:52 am

vulkan35 wrote:
Swiety wrote:It could be really nice alternative for less $$.

DI3000, AS600 handle

Swiety wrote:Yet, I am not sure if sensor which is build in will work with UniSolder

sensor

Thanks mate!
Have You used them? I am a little bit worried aboout low price and further it`s quality.
I am sure I will get stand from there.
Swiety

Postby vulkan35 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:35 pm

afedorov wrote:original handle uses flexible heat resistant cable, and I didn't found such a cable yet

silicone flexible heat resistant cable JBC
vulkan35

Postby afedorov » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:51 am

vulkan35 wrote:silicone flexible heat resistant cable JBC

Thanks! But it seems to be this cable for T470 or similar tool, original T245 cable is 3.8mm in diameter.
And how do you buy from taobao? Through a middleman or using google translate? I mean it's all in Chinese.
afedorov

Postby canteen234 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:22 pm

afedorov wrote:
vulkan35 wrote:silicone flexible heat resistant cable JBC

Thanks! But it seems to be this cable for T470 or similar tool, original T245 cable is 3.8mm in diameter.
And how do you buy from taobao? Through a middleman or using google translate? I mean it's all in Chinese.

I'm not sure if this applies since you are in Russia and I am in the United States, but you can order directly off Taobao. I ordered the stand vulkan35 ordered, but it has not arrived yet. Be prepared to wait a long time.
I had to extensively use Google Translate.
canteen234

Postby phillygreg » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Thought I would add a few notes from my build here in case it is useful to someone.

PIC programming. I'm mostly an ATMEL user, and didn't have a programmer for the PIC32.
I was able to use the nanu-nanu software. (New user so it won't let me link to it) to get it programmed.
I had a spare Arduino Pro Mini, that ran happily at 16Mhz @ 3.3V. (Out of spec and probably wouldn't use it for a project, but to burn the bootloader it worked)

Currently working on a proper case, so no photos yet.

Also working on a profile for the JBC Nano. Really like this one, great under a scope, lightweight, short and makes 0201s with not the steadiest hands easy. Once I clean it up I'll post a patch. The polynomial seems very close to an S-type.
Overall creating a profile isn't too hard, most of the work is understanding the hardware and digging through the code.
phillygreg

Postby Swiety » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:26 am

Hey,
About this stand from TaoBao. I can`t find any connector in BOM for it. Did any of You have specified connector which would be suitable for it?

Because as I understand the schematic connection is like this
Handle T245 >>> Station
Stand >>> Station
and not like this
Handle T245 >>> Stand >>> Station

I am going to design whole case. I am Design Engineer, so it won`t be a problem, however I still have to generate 3D models from gerbers. If anyone have them, please let me know. It would save me some time.

Vulkan35 Your drawings disapeared.
Swiety

Postby minkok » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:33 am

Swiety wrote:Hey,
About this stand from TaoBao. I can`t find any connector in BOM for it. Did any of You have specified connector which would be suitable for it?

If you want to use Uni Solder as universal soldering station you have to tight to sparkybg's BOM and use 8 pin connector at least,
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1set-lo ... e6d8bffd95
and if you are going to use only specified JBC iron handle, you can use 3 pin connector and the rest of connections to leave them inside of the box, but wire them properly.
You can see some wiring at page 114. All is at your choice and convenience.
minkok

Postby afedorov » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am

Swiety wrote:I still have to generate 3D models from gerbers. If anyone have them, please let me know.

Check these models, it's not 100% tested, but PCBs seems to match enclosure parts that I already have.
PCBs with key components. OLED is sitting on a thick double side tape (foam type).
Had to split into several volumes, sorry. If using 7z, remove last ZIP extension (forum allow only well-known extensions) and open US3D.zip.001. Or you may simply concatenate all the files into one with ZIP extension and open it using any compression program.
Attachments
US3D.zip.001.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 105 times
US3D.zip.002.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 94 times
US3D.zip.003.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
US3D.zip.004.zip
(195.78 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
afedorov

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs