Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby minkok » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 am

afedorov wrote:. In normal working conditions, with sleep temperature set to 230*C the holder heats up to about 10*C above ambient. Without sleep function, temperature will raise maybe by additional 5*C.
In your design, if the "fins" are close to the cartridge they will receive a fair amount of heat, since most of the heat passes throug the holder, and regular plastic probably would melt.
The ring on the T245 handle heats up to about 50-55*C, depending on working conditions.

Hello afedorov, you keep a sleep temperature 230. Mine is set 174, no evaporation from the solder, the speed of recovery to working temperature is near the same and less temperature to the plastic.
By the way very nice holder.
minkok

Postby afedorov » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:41 am

minkok wrote:By the way very nice holder.

Thanks!

Yep, at 174*C it may withstand the heat, but what if one forgets to connect the holder to the station?
If the handle is held by the top plate/ring with the sensor, what purpose of the fins? Doesn't it better to just leave a bigger hole with some perforation on the top side, maybe, keeping plastic as far from cartridge as possible?
afedorov

Postby badisan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello,
I would buy ready-made printed boards with parts,Does anyone sell?

Best regards
badisan

Postby minkok » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:02 am

Hello valerionew, I am agree with afedorov. You need better heat resistant plastic for the iron holder only, like asa or abs and
his advice for the shape of the front face. If you still want pla, you can make front face only from a different plastic or to make second insulation platform (air gap based), but that makes the project a bit complicated :)
minkok

Postby afedorov » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:57 am

I mean something like this.
Aluminum plate will take some effort to made, but it'll give more robustness and may be used as a touch sensor.

Also, there long cartridges exists, the original holder's tub have cutout for this.
Attachments
holder.png
longC945.png
afedorov

Postby unhollyone » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

hi guys. had the unisolder abandoned for some time due to lack of time and a working pickit , but i finaly started "finishing" this awsome project. the problem i'm having right now is that i cannot program the firmware. i can program the bootloader without any problems (screen come on with the moving lines, the computer detects it perfectly) but whe i try to program the firmware the unisolder app crashes, and on the screen i get "13". if i try to program it from mplab(pic standalone) i get the same thing. does anyone have a sugestion? thanks
unhollyone

Postby afedorov » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:34 pm

unhollyone wrote:and on the screen i get "13"

It's showed just before initializing of the I2C bus, so the problem is probably with pullups or I2C devices on the board, also check U5 pins 5 and 6 soldering.
The app is crush sometimes on updating FW, so you may try several times.
afedorov

Postby unhollyone » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:39 pm

afedorov wrote:It's showed just before initializing of the I2C bus, so the problem is probably with pullups

Yep. you are correct, it was one of the pullups(r28). thanks man
unhollyone

Postby Mihrz » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:44 am

Have anyone tried chinese compatible JBC cartridges like this ?
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/20-pieces-JBC-soldering-tools-C245030-welding-tips-2245-030-JBC-soldering-iron-tips-for-JBC/32570113527.html?spm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.420.ZVDU99
They are significantly cheaper, but I`m not sure about their quality.
Mihrz

Postby progrock » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:51 am

I take it the unisolder52_full gerber files is all 3 PCBs on a single sheet?

As far as ordering PCBs to be made, is there anything special to do... or just standard 1oz copper, 2 layer board? (Any recommended options)
progrock

Postby progrock » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:11 pm

I can't seem to find the info on PCB ordering anyw
here, while my gut says the default/common settings are likely alright, still wanna confirm before ordering some. Trying to make sure these settings are ok:

Thickness, 1.6 mm ?
Min track/spacing, 6/6mil ?
Min hole size, 0.3 mm ?

I'm pretty sure it's a 2 layer, 1 oz copper board... tho again, wouldn't hurt if someone could confirm this. Also, if there's any good tools to automate figuring out these values, please LMK... I installed kicad (I run linux primarily... but I do have a windows 10 VM on my unraid server, currently only for running Fusion360), but I'm not very familiar with kicad, not even sure if I can load in the gerber files as a project, so far can only look at 1 layer at a time in a gerber viewer.
progrock

Postby afedorov » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm

progrock wrote:I'm not very familiar with kicad, not even sure if I can load in the gerber files as a project, so far can only look at 1 layer at a time in a gerber viewer.

For viewing gerber files you may use ZofzPCB, it is the best tool I've found so far.
progrock wrote:Min track/spacing, 6/6mil ?
Min hole size, 0.3 mm ?

Min hole size is 0.7mm and track/spacing is 11mil/7mil if I remember correctly.
2oz copper is an overkill. Also with 2oz copper you're beyond spacing limit of 8mil.
Thickness is standard 1.6mm. Separate boards are rather small and rigid enough at 1.6mm.
afedorov

Postby progrock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:23 am

Great, thank you so much for confirming, prob gonna order some from pcbway... looks like all their default options are pretty much good to go.
progrock

Postby progrock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:59 am

Hmm, I was about to order 10 of the panel design from pcbway... but realized that individually, 10 of each pcb would be $5 each from pcbway, while 10 of the panel is $62... not sure if shipping will cost a lot more getting them 3 separate boards (of course it shouldn't, but definitely could be a lot more)... otherwise $15 vs $62.... not sure if there's much of a benefit of ordering as a panel.

Of course this is specific to pcbnew, I'm sure some pcb manufacturers it would make more sense. Tho I'm wondering if there's any other benefit of getting it as a panel?... I suppose with the tabs it would be a cleaner edge, that's all I can think of (but I am very new to ordering pcbs... which should be obvious)
progrock

Postby ccb » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 am

Don’t forget to check eBay as pcb’s are often for sale.
ccb

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs