Completed my Mini 7-Segment Clock

A place to document your own projects.

Completed my Mini 7-Segment Clock

Postby ryemac3 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:52 am

I finally got in my OSH Park PCBs for my mini 7-segment clock. It's using the DP5050 PCB layout.

mini7seg_build_0118-2.jpg

I used the SparkFun 7-seg display, but unfortunately, they screwed up the pinouts on the footprint and pins 10 and 12 are pin-swapped. I had to jumper the pins on the back to get the colon to work.

mini7segerror1_0029-2.jpg

I also had some weirdness with the way I routed Vcc to the Atmega. I had to throw another jumper on the back to fix that.

mini7segerror2_0029-1.jpg

Although it works, it's not perfect. It's going to look rather ugly with a clear acrylic back and those reworks. I'd like it to be perfect. So I'm going to fix those 2 things and get a rev 2 made. I also want to swap out the buttons for some 10mm tall ones so it's easier to press then once the acrylic goes on. 10mm buttons should be enough to clear the acrylic.

I just put the wraps on the laser file for the acrylic too. I'll upload that at some point this week to be cut.

laserfile.jpg

All in all, it came out pretty good. If anyone's interested, all the source files are on my hobby site, as well as a full write-up of the project: KevinRye.net
Last edited by ryemac3 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ryemac3
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Completed rev 1 of my Mini 7-Segment Clock

Postby matseng » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

Looking good. And SMD! ^_^

The Sparkfun libraries are to be avoided - or at least be thoroughly checked before using them. Both I and (I think it was) Systemstech have been burned by them. :-(
User avatar
matseng
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:29 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: Completed my Mini 7-Segment Clock

Postby ryemac3 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am

UPDATE: I finally got in my rev 1.1 PCBs from OSH Park. I fixed the pin-swap problem with the display as well as rerouted Vcc to the Atmega a little better than before. Rev 1.0 was a little convoluted.

I also got in my custom laser-cut acrylic from Ponoko.

I put everything together and it works great! So glad to finally see this guy assembled and complete!

The image doesn't do it justice. The display is super bright!

Image

Image

All the source files are available on my hobby site: Mini 7-Segment Clock
ryemac3
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 pm


Return to Project logs