Loki: A new PSoC based development board

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Loki: A new PSoC based development board

Postby matseng » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:10 pm

nickjohnson wrote:I ordered both the PCBs - all five! - and the Stencil from Hackvana. I'm delighted with both so far.

I must be getting old, I remember chatting with you, but I couldn't remember where, how or when. But now I realized that it must have been at the Hackvana irc. http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hackvana
matseng

Postby nickjohnson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:27 am

matseng wrote:
nickjohnson wrote:I ordered both the PCBs - all five! - and the Stencil from Hackvana. I'm delighted with both so far.

I must be getting old, I remember chatting with you, but I couldn't remember where, how or when. But now I realized that it must have been at the Hackvana irc. http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=hackvana

Yup, that'd be it alright.

I'm now having a frustrating time. The original board's stopped responding, and none of the ones I've built since respond to the debugger either. Occasionally - very occasionally - the original board will start working for a short while.

I can't see anything wrong - all the power pins show the relevant voltages, and the lines from the debug header to the IC seem fine. Argh.
nickjohnson

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:17 am

nickjohnson wrote:
matseng wrote:

Yup, that'd be it alright.

I'm now having a frustrating time. The original board's stopped responding, and none of the ones I've built since respond to the debugger either. Occasionally - very occasionally - the original board will start working for a short while.

I can't see anything wrong - all the power pins show the relevant voltages, and the lines from the debug header to the IC seem fine. Argh.

Perhaps the debugger is faulty? :D
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby nickjohnson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:37 am

Sjaak wrote:Perhaps the debugger is faulty? :D

I considered that, but before the board died I programmed it with something that lights up the onboard LED, and that isn't happening either, except intermittently. Same result on both USB and debugger power.
nickjohnson

Postby matseng » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:21 am

Have you checked the power lines with an oscilloscope? If multiple boards get flaky at the same time I'd suspect the common denominator - the external power.
matseng

Postby nickjohnson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:56 am

matseng wrote:Have you checked the power lines with an oscilloscope? If multiple boards get flaky at the same time I'd suspect the common denominator - the external power.

I don't have an oscilliscope, unfortunately.

There's one flaky board (initially mostly working, now mostly not), and four not-working-at-all ones. In all cases, I've tried powering them from USB (the onboard 3.3v LDO then powers the MCU) and directly from the debugger's power (which provides 3.3v straight to the MCU) - neither works on the broken boards, and neither seems to be more reliable than the other for the flaky one.
nickjohnson

Postby nickjohnson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 pm

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a mechanical issue. I can flex the board one way and have it consistently work, and flex it the other way and have it consistently break.

I've redesigned a v0.2 which uses the TQFP version of the PSoC (along with a few other minor layout improvements) which I'll send off to the fab shortly. Unfortunately, I'll have to buy some processors, too.
nickjohnson

Postby nickjohnson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:40 am

I received the PCBs for version 0.2 yesterday, and soldered the first one up. I'm really pleased with it:

The TQFP part proved a _lot_ easier to reflow. It came off the skillet with a few minor solder bridges, almost all of which were easily solved with a fine tipped iron and some flux. Other than that, there were a couple of minor issues where I'd gotten a little too enthusiastic about packing components in close and they'd reflowed into each other, something I can fix in a subsequent revision. The greenwire you can see in that photo is because of an 'improvement' in how I hooked up the programming header's power bus that turned out to be anything but.

All in all I'm delighted with how it's come out, and I think this is the run I'll send out to interested alpha testers.

I also experimented with a new approach for doing solderpaste stencilling without panelizing, adding snap off 'wings' to the board:

Unfortunately, the stencil came back from the factory with holes that are marginally too small, but I think it would have worked well if not for that.
nickjohnson

Postby CBJamo » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:52 pm

I haven't had any luck with the v0.1.1 that you sent me. Have you tried anything else on the bga boards to fix them I should I just wait for v0.2 to be available?
CBJamo

Postby nickjohnson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 pm

I did get a second one working with some careful rework with a fine tipped soldering iron, but it's far from a reliable process.

I'm happy to send you (and anyone else who's interested) an 0.2 once I've finished debugging the bootloader.

Remind me, what plank(s) did I send you?
nickjohnson

Postby nickjohnson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:15 pm

I've set up a blog for Arachnid Labs, the name I'll be releasing the Loki and other projects under, and written up an initial post about Loki. I'll be writing more in the days and weeks to come, including a lot of technical details, and my progress - I'm getting really close to being able to send out alpha units for feedback!

I've also set up social medai profiles on Twitter and Google+ - please follow and reshare them if you're interested.
nickjohnson

Postby Zeta » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Have you released schematic/pcb files of v0.2 ?
Zeta

Postby nickjohnson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 am

Zeta wrote:Have you released schematic/pcb files of v0.2 ?

Yup - they're in the repository at https://github.com/arachnidlabs/loki/. That's where I do my active development, so they're always up to date.
nickjohnson

Postby sanandak » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 am

Very nice - I like this direction!

How about an SD card plank?

When are you expecting to have boards available?

Sincerely,
sak
sanandak

Postby nickjohnson » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 am

sanandak wrote:Very nice - I like this direction!

How about an SD card plank?

The Loki has an onboard uSD slot. :)

When are you expecting to have boards available?

Sincerely,
sak

I'm about to start sending out Alpha boards to a few testers. Once I have their feedback, I can start working on getting a production run going. It'll be a big effort - I need a lot of preorders to make it worthwhile, much less getting planks made as well.
nickjohnson

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs