PSoC3 Custom Board

A place to document your own projects.

Re: PSoC3 Custom Board

Postby somun » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Thanks for sharing. I've been seeing this PSoC around but did not know what it was till now :) Looks quite flexible and powerful but for $20 a pop, it does not exactly fit in my price range to be honest (yeah I am cheap ;p).
somun

Postby kmmankad » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Yeah,the development kits from the company are rather costly.But thats precisely why effort is going into this project,so that the power of the PSoC can be made more affordable and hobbyist friendly :)
kmmankad

Postby royco » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:56 pm

First time I saw this post. This is very exciting as I was thinking of making my own too but this is would be perfect. Pretty new to PSOC3. If you are interested I have a couple of the 100pin CY8C3245AXI-166 that I can spare in case you are planning to use that package as you move forward. I have the a couple of dev boards and samples that I got for free from my supplier and Im just not going to use that $100 board with the experiments that we are used to. This custom board would fit the bill.

Bookmarked!
royco

Postby kmmankad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 pm

@royco Thanks for the support and encouragement :) I'll post a final version soon that you(or anyone interested) can use to get a board made for yourselves.
kmmankad

Postby Zeta » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 pm

is it posible to use your common JTAG cable to program a bootloader into the PSOC3s or PSOC5s?
Zeta

Postby kmmankad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:57 pm

Well,the chips support SWD and JTAG,and more info on that is here http://www.cypress.com/?rID=44327 .Hope it helps :)
kmmankad

Postby kmmankad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:59 pm

The bootloading is slightly different from other chips,and a nice video on that is presented here http://www.cypress.com/?rID=51084
kmmankad

Postby kmmankad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:48 am

I've checked the board one final time,and run the DRCs (the SparkFun DRU as well as Seeed's Fusion one,incase any of you folks want to get it fabricated via them.).

I've tweaked the placement and tracks to get maximum possible copper fill.Also,tried to make the text and labelling better.

Attached are the schematic and board files,along with the necessary libraries and above mentioned DRUs.

Now that the hardware is ready(well atleast for fabrication),I'll start on the software part,i.e the USB Boot loader,and a through hole version of the same board,as well as an ultra compact one(speaking of compactness,current dimensions stand at 2.7"x1.9") too,just for fun :)
Attachments
PSoC3_Custom_Board_PreFab.zip
PSoC3 Custom Board - Pre Fabrication Eagle files.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
(675.63 KiB) Downloaded 482 times
kmmankad

Postby kmmankad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:31 am

If someone does fab a board,do post your results here :) .Also note that you'll need a MiniProg3( http://www.cypress.com/?rID=38154 .Yes,its $89. ) to burn the bootloader.
kmmankad

Postby kmmankad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:54 am

There are a few third party programmer vendors too,but I havent tried those.Heres a link ( http://www.cypress.com/?rID=2543 )
kmmankad

Postby willemite » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Great!
thanks for working on this.
I was just going to ask what you were planning on using for the programmer, but it seems you will be doing it with the miniprog.
I seem to remember reading somewhere the SWD function was strange on these chips in that it needed the full jtag interface to get it going. Am I mistaken?
What are the chances the bus blaster or bus pirate can program these?
cheers.
willemite

Postby kmmankad » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Yes,I do have access to a MiniProg3 so I'll be using that.Also,I recall seeing an Appnote on the Cypress website that described how a PSoC5 bootloaded a PSoC3.I do plan to explore that further and ideally,come up with one EzPSoC3 board bootloading another.

As far as I know,(but I could be wrong) the SWD is supposed to be the best way(and fastest) to program these things.I've consulted the Cypress guys on this,and they say that SWD is the preferred interface for Programming and debugging. As far as connections go, heres a forum post ( http://www.cypress.com/?app=forum&id=2232&rID=53748 ) where those are described clearly by an employee for various configurations for programming.
kmmankad

Postby kmmankad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 am

About the Busblaster or buspirate programming it,since it can do JTAG(but not the board in the current state,cuz those pins havent been routed out) I guess it'd be a matter of implementing the custom programming protocol of the PSoC3 on any JTAG adapter.I have zero experience with those,so I cant say more.
kmmankad

Postby hak8or » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am

This is your first double layer PCB? Fantastic work! I have seen some people who don't use any ground planes for some odd reason even though they have double layer PCB's and barely anything on the back of the board. >_<

Also, yeah, I am watching this intently curious to see the outcome, and especially the PCB! :P Good job and good luck! :D
hak8or

Postby kmmankad » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:24 am

Yes,this was my first design.Hence the large number of changes and revisions(and errors? Hopefully not.) Actually I'm currently evaluating fabrication services for producing the prototype batch.The local ones are just too costly(for my student budget),at ~$40(domestic shipping extra) for 2 boards with no silkscreen or e-testing.
kmmankad

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs