HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron driver

A place to document your own projects.

Re: HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron dri

Postby arhi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:07 pm

you got gerbers for mine mixed smd and trough hole version? (I think you better use the DP's trough hole version, it is routed nicer :D )

On mine gerbers ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/arhimed-sid/files/ ) all layers have board outline, look at them with gerbv, I just checked it and the outline is there (on every layer)
arhi

Postby arhi » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:34 pm

btw I added proteus sources to the http://sourceforge.net/projects/arhimed-sid/files/
arhi

Postby Thorontir » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:32 am

arhi wrote:you got gerbers for mine mixed smd and trough hole version? (I think you better use the DP's trough hole version, it is routed nicer :D )

On mine gerbers ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/arhimed-sid/files/ ) all layers have board outline, look at them with gerbv, I just checked it and the outline is there (on every layer)

If I have understood it correctly, seems that oshpark expects board outline to be in a separate file. That seems to be the problem.

I will look at DP version, but seemed to me that the firmware was not the same, and was not ready (My fault, readed when I should have been sleeping for hours...)

Thanks again!
Greetings from Spain!
Thorontir

Postby arhi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:39 am

exactly same schematic so same firmware. only difference is dp version is drawn usin eagle and is fully trough hole.

as for gerbers noone i ever worked for wanted outline in separate file, usually is "outline on at least one layer", anyhow if you want to use mine pcb, i uploaded proteus files to sourceforge so ou can export any type of gerber you like
arhi

Postby Thorontir » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:50 am

Must be some problem on them: tried the DP version gerbers and again same error, but with the eagle file there was no problem.

Seems that I would have to start with eagle... I used Proteus when I was in University, and later in work some crappy 15 year old software, but recently I was triying to get used to KiCAD, but seems that eagle is the most widely used program with this companies...
Greetings from Spain!
Thorontir

Postby arhi » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 am

I very much dislike eagle so I'm not a proper person to talk with about it.
I also dislike KiCAD but at least KiCAD is open source.
For paid EDA IMO Proteus is the best there is for hobby (bang for bucks) since Altium and Cadence are just too darn expensive
arhi

Postby jaunedeau » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:26 am

Hi,

I was also planning a pic based soldering iron / reflow oven driver. Afer I hade a rough idea of how I'd do, I looked at what other people did (and what problem they encountered), and find your already working project :)

I have a few question about your choices (not critic, really just question : my domain is java coding and I'm only beginner hobbyist with electronic) :

-Why plan a pic18f2250 version ? The PIC18F25K50 is almost compatible, have same ram / flash / eeprom / instruction set, has cap touch, does NOT required external crystal for usb, and is half the price of the 2550. It drops one of the 16 bits timers for a 8 bit, and is not (yet ?) avaiable in QFN.
-Why is the line after the diode bridge labelled 35V ? If I remember correctly (from 17 years ago :) ), 24V AC (rms) after the diodes and capacity should give 24V DC ?
-Could'nt you make a simpler / cheaper PSU by using just a half bridge rectifier with a bigger capacitor (then getting a not perfect 12V DC), and then with this lower voltage and only 600mA needed just use a 5V regulator ?

Thanks you,
John.
jaunedeau

Postby arhi » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:55 am

jaunedeau wrote:-Why plan a pic18f2250 version ? The PIC18F25K50 is almost compatible, have same ram / flash / eeprom / instruction set, has cap touch, does NOT required external crystal for usb, and is half the price of the 2550. It drops one of the 16 bits timers for a 8 bit, and is not (yet ?) avaiable in QFN.

cause Ian wanted usb and 18F2550 was smallest USB enabled pic I had in a drawer. Also IIRC when I started this PIC18F25K50 was not readily available (at least not for me locally) while 18F2550 was available on every corner. Another reason is that I know 2550 pretty well while new PIC's have bunch of bugs and you really need to study both datasheet and errata before you design anything.

jaunedeau wrote:-Why is the line after the diode bridge labelled 35V ? If I remember correctly (from 17 years ago :) ), 24V AC (rms) after the diodes and capacity should give 24V DC ?

You do not remember correctly. 24VAC (RMS) will have peak of 24*SQRT(2) so 34V peak that will drop only by diode voltage drop after you rectify it and add capacitor so depending on the type of diodes and the current you will have 33-34V on the output.

jaunedeau wrote:-Could'nt you make a simpler / cheaper PSU by using just a half bridge rectifier with a bigger capacitor (then getting a not perfect 12V DC), and then with this lower voltage and only 600mA needed just use a 5V regulator ?

I tried, it was heating up too much, and no - you do not get 12V using half bridge only, try it out :D, if you use big enough cap you will have same voltage as with full bridge, you just get with smaller average voltage with smaller capacitor but you still have peaks at same 34V as with full bridge so it wil not really solve the heating problem .. it's way simpler to go with DCDC konverter
arhi

Postby arakis » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:25 pm

I think the 25k50 is pin to pin compatable, ad preaty much code compatable as well, If you're design your own board feel free to use our schematic, and simply connect the two OSC pins wherever you need them. You'd have to compile it yourselft, and chane the code to use the internal osc, but I'd love to see it done....

Just to give more insight about the DC/DC..it's only needed because we kinda forced Arhi to use only one tap of the transformer to power the electronics, and the iron....so you have to get 5V from the 30+V comming in....

thats a 25V drop, and at that voltage even 20,30 mA will heat up the linear regulatror beyond it's capacity. and the LCD by it self draws at least 100mA... so basicly a DC/DC was the only way to go...

There is another way to do it, and I think this was the way arhi did it in his Gen 1 prototype... simply use a second tap from the transformer with 5VAC and make a linear 5V regulator....This would eliminate the need for the whole 4 diode bridge and the Cap (on the 24V AC side) since the Iron is powered direct from AC... It's a more elegant design, but requires a Transformer with 24vAC and 5V(probably 6) ac taps..

ps the 5v linear regulator could use a single diode and cap, insited of a full bridge
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:02 am

Yes, btw all the transformers I initially ordered for this project were 24VAC + 6VAC and I used simple 7805 ... but then Ian and Filip had the idea to better design it to work only from 24VAC so that a transformer from old soldering irons can be used and in order to be able to use it from 19VDC computer power supply .. that together introduced DCDC into the mix (also pre this project I was not really designing DCDC controllers so it was really a time to try that out too :D ) ... so basically
- USB is because of DP (I would not put an USB there, for debugging I use UART) hence the choice of a chip (I'd probably use some other 18F from the drawer but this was the only one with usb capability at the time in my drawer)
- DCDC is because of DP (I'd go with 24+6V output on the transformer and 7805 like I did on original design)

I do not think those decisions were bad as this way board is more "universal"...

As for the "reflow oven driver" I will make one soon. I purchased new apartment and I'm in the process of moving from this one to new one and that takes time so I'm currently spending all my free time there instead on my hobbies ... but as soon as that's done I will be making a reflow controller that's going to be tad more complicated then this board and is probably going to be using 16bit pic or maybe even a 32bit arm, It's going to use a TFT (one of the tft's itead is selling, one of the parallel ones probably), will have control over door, 2 fans, 2 heaters and will read input on few thermo couples (NTC/PTC ain't going to be useful here) .. but .. that's probably going to start in January
arhi

Postby arakis » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:29 am

are you gonna bake brownies:)
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:35 pm

to be honest I think the hardest part of the job will be to find a good oven to modify :(
arhi

Postby Thorontir » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Well, finally my Soldering Iron and some spare tips arrived.

Soldador.jpg
Soldering Iron (Less than 7€, marked as 24V 50W)

Puntas.jpg
Spare tips (1€)

Boards should come soon, and I am going to buy at farnell the components I miss.

The Soldering Iron connector is this, it's the right one?

Conector.jpg
SI connector
Conector.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
Greetings from Spain!
Thorontir

Postby diogoc » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:05 am

Thorontir that iron have a PTC sensor?
I have a aoyue iron with the same appearance but it was a thermocouple sensor
diogoc

Postby neslekkim » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 am

That looks exactly like mine Hakko 907 clone (difficult to see if it is clone or not though, but for $8-9 I think so :))
neslekkim

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs