HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron driver

A place to document your own projects.

Re: HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron dri

Postby arhi » Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 am

pjkim wrote:One thought is that perhaps the hex file is for an encoder input rather than for buttons? Is this selected by #defining USE_ENCODER (or not) in the main.c file? Do you expect the debounce code will work with an encoder?

yes, if USE_ENCODER is defined buttons are handled as encoder input, if not defined they are handled as buttons ..
arhi

Postby pjkim » Wed May 23, 2012 3:55 pm

Programming the correct EEPROM data sure helped a lot. When I started the SID, the display was a menu that I had never seen before to select and calibrate the temp sensor. Unfortunately, the + and minus buttons still don't work. Once I exit this screen, the numbers on the main screen make sense and are related to reality. The "current temp" is actually measuring the PTC in the Hakko handle, ~38 at room temp (no it is not that hot in reality). When I hold a flame to the tip, the temperature rises appropriately-- I took it up to 190 deg. The "set temp" is 5 so the iron doesn't turn on right now.

I am going to try an older version without debouncing to see if everything else is working correctly with the corrected EEPROM. If things work with the pre-debounce firmware, I think that the debouncing fix might have mangled the + and - buttons.

I also need to troubleshoot the triac part of the circuit-- I don't think it is turning on properly. Separate problem from above.

Will keep you posted.
pjkim

Postby arhi » Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

As I said, I tested it on a pcb just now and it works perfectly with debouncing routine. Check your buttons, maybe you lost ground connection (buttons are pulled up with resistors and your buttons should push them down to ground). Also, please check exactly what pins buttons are connected to, it could be that Filip messed something up copying the schematic, or I changed something later on (iirc you are using DP's version of the board) so make sure

EB (menu button) should be pin 21 (RB0)
E1 (encoder 1) should be pin 22 (RB1)
E2 (encoder 2) should be pin 23 (RB2)

There are 2 additional inputs for buttons on pins 11 and 12 that firmware for now ignores.

So please check if your button is pushing RB1 and RB2 to gnd when you press + and - buttons, as latest firmware must work (the latest one from sourceforge, I will attach it to this message too)

As for the room temperature, the firmware is set to read temperature from specific NTC so if one is not connected .. or if wrong one is connected the temp will be off. I use 204-GT NTC and the source comes with a table for it. If you want to use another NTC you have to change the table in main.c to get correct values for NTC. Note that NTC is not important for you if you are using HAKKO handle.
Attachments
SID_Firmware-buttons-latest.zip
(63.61 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Last edited by arhi on Wed May 23, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arhi

Postby arhi » Wed May 23, 2012 4:39 pm

p.s. note that REV's are now smaller since I moved the project to sourceforge, it's because I used single repo locally for many projects, I moved to sourceforge just this one and renumbered revisions so we are on rev 32 or 33 now :)
arhi

Postby arhi » Thu May 24, 2012 8:38 pm

rev34 now supports bootloader (more here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=3269&p=40918#p40918 )

I removed the "-latest" on the hex files on sourceforge and replaced -latest with r34 (release), so you can get hex directly and know what release it is without having to compile it yourself.

If someone who built SID have a few moments, I'd appreciate a review on https://sourceforge.net/projects/arhimed-sid/reviews/

(yes I know .. but .. :D )
arhi

Postby pjkim » Sat May 26, 2012 4:09 am

Tried the new firmware. Didn't go particularly smoothly but eventually got things working. The bootloader file you sent didn't work for me-- the OS never recognized the board or I couldn't get it to go into bootloader mode. I pressed reset (bring MCLR low), tied PGC to PGC (method used in the diolan bootloader) but could not get bootloader mode. I flashed the bootloader for the LCD backpack-- which you have to compile yourself after editing the PID and VID codes in usb_desc.inc. After flashing the bootloader, I could not enter bootloader and the USB device was enumerated on my computer. I followed the instructions for flashing the firmware and it worked (sort of). I say sort of because the EEPROM values were again corrupted. The PID values were all really off. I tried changing them using the menu but that was a non-starter -- the starting value was 32.124, my target was 3.500 and I was stepping by 0.001 per button press (no repeat) and debounced to 0.2 seconds. Would have required 28624 button presses or over an hour and a half at 5 presses per second! I used my JDM PIC programmer to burn only the correct EEPROM values and then things were good. A bit round about but things work.

Any idea why I am having the same problem programming the EEPROM using a serial PIC programmer and a bootloader?

Here is a pic of my board and the case I cut for it.

The LCD works, the iron gets hot and I can solder stuff with it! What do you call the first functioning of a soldering iron? First solder? First smoke? First joint?

Will have a more thorough writeup and more pics on my blog soon. And thank you Arhi and Arakis. And Ian too.
pjkim

Postby arhi » Sat May 26, 2012 4:33 am

do you mind if I add this pictures to the project "screenshots" ?
arhi

Postby arhi » Sat May 26, 2012 4:49 am

pjkim wrote:Tried the new firmware. Didn't go particularly smoothly but eventually got things working.

I didn't use diolan earlier, I put hex that I used myself, now, it behaves kinda weird, sometimes bootloader loads, sometimes don't ... but in anyhow hex for the SID don't really have anything to do with bootloader, so you can compile whatever diolan bootloader you like and .... I also could not get diolan's fw_update to run from linux .. something weird ... anyhow I'm not really a big fun of bootloaders on the projects like this one, you get way more control using pickit

pjkim wrote:I say sort of because the EEPROM values were again corrupted.

When you attach pickit and read values (after you update firmware with bootloader) does the eeprom show values that I posted on that picture?

pjkim wrote:Any idea why I am having the same problem programming the EEPROM using a serial PIC programmer and a bootloader?

no clue ... what I did notice is that by default fw_update does not update eeprom at all, there's
Code: Select all
-m -memory  <MEMMORY TYPE>
   Memory type for read, write and verify operations.
   Possible values: flash, eeprom, id, all.
   Default: flash

so if you do not specify -m all diolan will only update flash (eeprom should stay untouched but .. who knows)

also it's weird that using direct programming you have this issues too .. maybe it's something wrt your programmer? I use pickit2 for this 18F chips, never had a problem.

pjkim wrote:And thank you Arhi and Arakis. And Ian too.

thank you for debugging it :)
arhi

Postby pjkim » Sat May 26, 2012 5:15 am

arhi wrote:do you mind if I add this pictures to the project "screenshots" ?

Please feel free.
arhi wrote:When you attach pickit and read values (after you update firmware with bootloader) does the eeprom show values that I posted on that picture?

After I used the bootloader, the values I read were not correct but not FF so they must have been changed. They were burned previously using my serial JDM programmer with the correct values.

I was not aware of the default behavior of fw_update programming only the flash. I will try turning on the EEPROM option to see if this fixes things.
pjkim

Postby arhi » Sat May 26, 2012 5:56 am

obviously some experience with diolan and fw_update is required :D so please keep us posted on the progress :)

What worries me is that your JDM sometimes put wrong data in the eeprom .. maybe it has to do with application? What kind of app you use with it? Does it show you (like pickit2 sw for e.g.) what will be the content of the ram, eprom..
arhi

Postby ian » Mon May 28, 2012 3:53 am

Fantastic build. I'm really glad to see these coming online. That for testing and sharing.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby TitanMKD » Tue May 29, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi,

I'm very interested in Soldering Iron Board but my need are a bit different,
I have hacked(disabled thermostat because it stop at 190°C instead of 250°C) a Hot Plate to use it for PCB Reflow Soldering.
I use my Extech EX330 in T°C Probe mode with a PT Probe to measure temperature and at 230°C I switch off the Power (to reach about 240°C), and I will like to add an automatic mode with Reflow Profile integrated and I think I could use the Soldering Iron with some modifications to add Reflow Profile (loaded from an EEPROM ...).
The requirement are accurate PID with Relay 240V max 16A (in fact it's 2000W max).
I will like also a CMS version of the Soldering Iron PCB to have a little board in order to even integrate it in the Hot Plate.

Do you think it will require minor modification ?

Best Regards

Benjamin
TitanMKD

Postby arhi » Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 pm

what is CMS version?

As for the "lot of minor" modification, donno. Mine plan was to make SID first and then to make a separate controller for the reflow oven / hot plate. For reflow oven I want graphics LCD so that I can show the profile and monitor where we are currently during the process and compare with profile set. I also want to be able to load profiles on SD/MMC card, to be able to edit them on PC, I want USB connection etc etc etc so mine plan was
- pic32mx or dspic
- usb host (so you can push files from PC to oven via usb directly without frisbee net)
- graphics lcd
- lot stronger power (basically bigger triac with proper cooling)
- 2 controls (fan and heater)
- 2 measurement points (both thermocouple)

In theory you could hack SID, there's few extra pin where you can attach MMC and then read data from the MMC and control everything, problem is that you reaaaaaly want to be able to real time monitor data on some lcd. I already have lcd's I will be using for this project (thanks to Sjaak I now have good and cheap lcd's chosen, my initial selection was terrible - I will also use these for mine other project - dual stage electronic load)
arhi

Postby TitanMKD » Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 pm

CMS is french sorry it means SMD (surface mounted device).

About your project it is exactly what I want and PIC32MX seems also very good choice (I have some spare chip).
2 Measurement points is also a very good idea and the LCD is just a must !!
Could you contact me when you will have some schematic+board ready for a prototype ?
I'm also very interested by good shop to buy cheap and good LCD.

Best Regards
Benjamin
TitanMKD

Postby arhi » Tue May 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I will post the whole project here on DP when I start it, no worries. It's just that attm I'm super busy and it will last for another ~30-45 days after which I should have free time (and space) to work on that project
arhi

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs