HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron driver

A place to document your own projects.

Re: HAKKO (907ESD) and SOLOMON (SL-10/30) soldering iron dri

Postby arhi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Yes I agree it is quite clever (had no idea there's a magnet in the tip :D), but problem is changing tip takes time. If they used tips like ERSA where you can change tip in a second without turning the iron off it would be ok but they don't (at least not on the iron I have, you have to wait it to cool off before you replace the tip)

Anyhow solomon irons are very good quality, the tips last long and have good thermal mass. They way it is designed it allows heat from heater to go to the tip super fast. The spare pencils/handles/irons are available for 10-20$ (Solomon, Elanco, Tenma ...) with a simple driver like this one (time to make 20min tops when you have pcb, cost to make below 20$ including ordering 5 boards from ITEAD, LCD and all other parts) you can utilize these cheap spare parts as a soldering iron, and this type of controller is basically better / more customizable then original drivers. Now, this all makes sense assuming you already have a 24VAC 50VA (or stronger) source at home or that you can salvage it from somewhere. I for e.g. have bunch of 24VAC 60-100VA transformers from some old 3com hub's and switches lying around .. so I utilize those... If you need to purchase transformer, depending on where you are you might better get a ready made knockoff of HAKKO or some other soldering station as they go for about 80$ on ebay... and when I checked 50VA 24VAC transformer was in the 40$ range so it's cutting it pretty close to make the whole device yourself compare to purchasing ready made one. Not to mention housing .. this is for e.g. the box I'm using now (made out of "the compressed wood, like the stuff on back of closets, 3mm thick" with al profiles on the edges)

so there is a lot of reasons to go with a ready made knockoff .. now, you can get a knockoff, remove the electronics and use the case, connectors and transformer and build a digital one :D for extra 20$ :D
arhi

Postby EasternStarGeek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 am

Oh boy... Now I want one of those!!
EasternStarGeek

Postby ian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:20 am

I like the idea of getting a "cheap" soldering station with the power supply and salvaging it. That is my plan. My Aoyue 968 has broken hot-air, and it is far too huge for just soldering now.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:22 am

IIRC AOYUE uses also HAKKO compatible pencil. Just be sure to locate heater and sensor wires properly :D. Heat the iron and then disconnect and measure it. middle pin is ESD/EARTH, 2 on each sides should have 12R on heater and much more (if iron is heated up) on the sensor. Don't measure cold iron as you will get wrong results :D (on my iron's cable left 2 are sensor and right2 are heater), sensor goes from few R cold to ~50R hot, heater is few R cold and as soon as it gets heated it's 12R and holding that resistance.
arhi

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 am

this would be an awesome board to have in the store!
sqkybeaver

Postby arhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:42 am

sqkybeaver wrote:this would be an awesome board to have in the store!

I'm finishing the final version tomorrow, added the switching psu for logic part so you can safely power all from 25VAC as 7805 burns up after few minutes even with huge heat sink. On my test rig pic, moc and lcd with backlight use <200mA but still 30+VDC on the input of 7805 is just too much. BA05T works better then 7805 but it gets too hot too (does not die like 7805 but heat sink get too hot to touch) so I designed (copied from datasheet) a switching supply with mc34063. It's not the best switching chip out there but it is cheapest and easily accessible (for me at least, it's ~0.5EUR and they have thousands on stock in local stores, at least that's what they say). Anyhow I will be testing it tonight on breadboard and if it works I'll finish up the pcb

I will post it as soon as I'm done testing it and then Ian can rebrand it, put DP logo on it and add it to his pcb drawer or even a fully assembled product at seeed .. I have no issues with that :)... It would just be required to make a pcb in some foss app (I made schematic in KiCad, but I use proteus as main app so original schematic and pcb are made in proteus) as I don't think many ppl use proteus.
arhi

Postby tayken » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:52 am

arhi wrote:I will post it as soon as I'm done testing it and then Ian can rebrand it, put DP logo on it and add it to his pcb drawer or even a fully assembled product at seeed .. I have no issues with that :)... It would just be required to make a pcb in some foss app (I made schematic in KiCad, but I use proteus as main app so original schematic and pcb are made in proteus) as I don't think many ppl use proteus.

If Ian decides to put it on sale as a kit, I am willing to do all the Eagle conversion from the pictures. I used to use Proteus, but just for simulation purposes, never used it as a CAD. :)
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:53 am

the mc34063 has been around for a long time and is super easy to work with.

Dave @ the eevblog has a good video based around that chip. worth looking at if you have not seen it.
sqkybeaver

Postby arhi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:56 am

sqkybeaver wrote:Dave @ the eevblog has a good video based around that chip. worth looking at if you have not seen it.

ask me where I got the idea to use that chip :D :D :D
arhi

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 am

arhi wrote:ask me where I got the idea to use that chip :D :D :D

if i was not into electronics, i would watch his videos just because of his energy and hilarity.
sqkybeaver

Postby ian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:20 am

*cough* eagle conversion in progress *cough*

Not intended to be for sale or anything. Too dangerous. But I want to make my own version and you are welcome to the PCB :) It will be a little juiced up. Gotta do something with the extra power of the PIC24.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:40 am

ian wrote:Gotta do something with the extra power of the PIC24.

how about a pc control app.
sqkybeaver

Postby ian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 am

USB firmware upgrades for sure.

I want to automate all the settings as much as possible. Really 18F2550 is probably better choice because it has EEPROM, but 24FJis so much cheaper it is no issue to add EEPROM.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 am

Here is a schematic with a PIC 24fj64gb002 dropped on it. I added analog temperature sensor, crystal for time keeping (will need USB crystal too), and EEPROM. Probably all the extra pins will be used by this stuff, so there is little pin advantage over arhi's setup.

One nice thing I see in the PIC datasheet is 5 PWM: backlight, contrast, thermistor sensor adjust, +2 more for some sort of fun stuff.

I'm trying to figure out a auto-detect for iron type.
Attachments
solderingironcontroller.png
SolderingIronController.sch
(359.8 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby arakis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 pm

I did a solomon control cirtcuit with pic16f1824 using a nokia 3210 for display, it has up, down and enter buttons and a menu, for saveing temperatures, and loading them, it also has the posibilito od usin an analog(pot) for seting temperatures, or digital up/down for fine tuning.

if anyone is interested I could post it here, although, the PID is not coded yet, and the code is not the cleanest of all, for that matter neither is the pcb.

Ian if you have extra pins, add breakouts so I could hookup nokia LCD insted of 2X16, these nokia 3310/3210/3330 lcd are cheap as dirt over here around 3$ a piece ,

BTW, I used a MAX6675 for temp sensing, its now discontinued but the replacement part MAX31855 , is pin and code compatable, wth added options.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/7273

it worked within 0.25c accuracy for 100c boiling watter test, and 1c for Ice test
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs