Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby joey120373 » Sun May 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks to all for the help. I’ve been working long hours at work, so I haven’t been able to sit down and start testing voltages. I did take a few min last night and look the front board over under magnification. I wasn’t happy with the way some of my solder joints looked, so I smeared a healthy dose of flux on the board and basically reflowed everything I could on the right hand side of the board. The OLED was covering some parts but I got in there as best I could with my hot air station. Only took a few minuets.
I let the board cool a bit and powered it back up with the CAL resistor in place.
Now the ADC reading is ~490 and I was able to adjust the pot to get exactly 1000. So I must have had a bad joint or a solder short somewhere.
Happy with the progress I called it a night, I’ll work on getting the ID working in a day or two.

Thanks again.
joey120373

Postby joey120373 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Success!
After i re-flowed the board, i re-soldered the ID resistors and gave it another quick test. seems to be working fine.

I tested the heat accuracy by melting some 63/37 lead solder on the tip, seems to melt right at ~184, goes solid at 180-182.

I do have an issue with the connector i am using. The connector mounted in the front panel was fine, however the cable side connector turned out to be a real pain in the rear to solder to, the solder tabs are also really flimsy. I bought them cheep on ebay, and now I'm regretting it. I managed to get the tip red hot once due to a poor connection at the connector. So i put in an order for some higher quality connectors.
While I am waiting on those i will clean up both boards and work on getting it all cased up.
joey120373

Postby vulkan35 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 pm

joey120373 wrote: seems to melt right at ~184, goes solid at 180-182

Very well!
vulkan35

Postby Doomedahab » Tue May 14, 2019 4:06 am

joey120373 wrote:
I do have an issue with the connector i am using. The connector mounted in the front panel was fine, however the cable side connector turned out to be a real pain in the rear to solder to, the solder tabs are also really flimsy. I bought them cheep on ebay, and now I'm regretting it. I managed to get the tip red hot once due to a poor connection at the connector. So i put in an order for some higher quality connectors.
While I am waiting on those i will clean up both boards and work on getting it all cased up.

Yes, those cheap e-bay and aliexpress connectors are crappy. Unisolder deserves a good quality connector. I used Amphenol C091B bayonet type connectors and they are really nice quality. Soldering the wires and the ID resistors to those is a breeze.
Doomedahab

Postby joey120373 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:04 pm

I have some better connectors on the way, in the mean time I soldered another cheep connector to the cable. This time I paid very close attention to pre-tinning the tabs on the connector. There appears to be 2 types of metal in the connector, the small strip that is for connecting wires does not readily want to accept the solder, but with some flux it will eventually. Down at the base of that strip it appears that the contacts are crimped to the strip, and that part at the base REALLY doesn't want to wet. A good dose of flux, heat and physical scratching with the iron tip it will eventually wet. After getting a good tin on all of the pins, I attached the cable and it seems to be good now. I still plan on replacing it as soon as the new connectors arrive.

Now i just need a project to start soldering..... another unisolder perhaps....
joey120373

Postby vulkan35 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 am

Last edited by vulkan35 on Mon May 27, 2019 12:14 am, edited 9 times in total.
vulkan35

Postby Stat1cV01D » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 am

G'day Unisolder community!
I'm currently planning on getting a Unisolder Station as well because my chinese station starts giving me trouble.
I've searched online for a source of affordable 0.1% 25ppm 0805 resistors but couldn't find any that fell in my price range and gave me a proper discount on larger quantities.
My Question now is if it is possible to replace the 0.1% 25ppm resistors with 1% 100ppm ones or if doing so will completly f'up the OpAmp configuration.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
Stat1cV01D

Postby Doomedahab » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am

Replacing the 0,1% resistors with 1% ones is a bad idea. Have you tried ordering from arrow.com? they have a free worldwide express delivery service with no minimum order quantity.
Doomedahab

Postby Stat1cV01D » Wed May 15, 2019 10:46 am

Cheers for the tip with arrow!
They do have the best prices for me so far and the free world wide delivery is nice to have as well.
I've ordered 100pcs of every resistor that needs to be 0.1% tolerance just because it had the best "bang for your buck"
Stat1cV01D

Postby modoran » Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 am

Where is that "free shipping" on arrow.com ?

https://www.arrow.com/en/support/contac ... t/shipping

I dont think is available free shipping. Maybe is like mouser.com, free shipping above 50€ orders ?
modoran

Postby Doomedahab » Fri May 24, 2019 3:16 am

It seems the free shipping offer has ended, what a shame.
Doomedahab

Postby TheAmmoniacal » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

I have built and assembled the UniSolder 5.2 for use with JCB C245, everything appears to work fine except the temperature reading and regulation. When I power on the UniSolder 5.2 the temperature reading is 22 C constantly and 126 W is being fed to the iron constantly.

I have checked all connections etc, but no luck. Anyone willing to guide me through troubleshooting this issue?
TheAmmoniacal

Postby Doomedahab » Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Doomedahab

Postby TheAmmoniacal » Fri May 24, 2019 3:08 pm

Anything I try to write on this forum is blocked due to being "too spamy". Awesome.
TheAmmoniacal

Postby roor » Mon May 27, 2019 5:18 am

TheAmmoniacal wrote:I have built and assembled the UniSolder 5.2 for use with JCB C245, everything appears to work fine except the temperature reading and regulation. When I power on the UniSolder 5.2 the temperature reading is 22 C constantly and 126 W is being fed to the iron constantly.

I have checked all connections etc, but no luck. Anyone willing to guide me through troubleshooting this issue?

check u16 for shorts

was getting same when accidentally shorted few leads there
roor

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs