Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby zed65 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi guys, i'm working on my version again. What do you think about the shell of the USB connector? Should it be floating as in Sparkys schematic or should it be tied to ground/vss?

I've managed to fit both vertically and horizontal USB connectors, a bit crowded but it works :)

unisolder12062.png
zed65

Postby salavat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:45 pm

jvolk wrote:HI guys.
I am trying to get my uni-solder working, but I have few problems and I don't know what is the problem. I checked all soldering and it seems fine.

When I power up unisolder it shows "21" for a 1/2 second and then goes to normal screen (showing no-instument, because I have nothing attached). I connected 10 ohm resistor for calibration, but readings are jumpy. It reads ADC: 540 (numbers are jumping around +- 5), but time to time it jumps to around 314 (few times a second, I recorded a video and checked).

I checked voltage on 10 ohm resistor and its stable around 3.5mV.

If I connect T245 without heater the temperature shows around 20°C, but when I plug also heater the iron heats up over 300°C but temperature on display shows around 26°C and heater is on (I had connected heater for max about 3-4 seconds, because I am afraid I will destroy it otherwise).

What should I check?

'iron heats up while 26 C is shown' - you probably reversed plus and minus wires for iron heater somewhere.
'jumpy readings' - read one my posts above - the reason could be in bad soldering, resolder again those mentioned in the post chips.
salavat

Postby salavat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:47 pm

zed65 wrote:Hi guys, i'm working on my version again. What do you think about the shell of the USB connector? Should it be floating as in Sparkys schematic or should it be tied to ground/vss?

I've managed to fit both vertically and horizontal USB connectors, a bit crowded but it works :)

unisolder12062.png

I (personally) would get it off the board, since firmware is not that often updated so that you need to have a handy access to it. I would put it somewhere on the back of the box unit.
salavat

Postby Wolfram » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:28 pm

zed65 wrote:Hi guys, i'm working on my version again. What do you think about the shell of the USB connector? Should it be floating as in Sparkys schematic or should it be tied to ground/vss?

unisolder12062.png

Personally i prefer an horizontal Type-C connector for reasons like:
1)It's very easy to mill the hole for it on the aluminum case
2)Type-C is replacing the obsolete connectors like the type-a etc ...
3)Type-C is becoming to be the standart as soon.
Wolfram

Erratic HOLDER temp

Postby salavat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:22 pm

My station is running and working as it should, however, HOLDER temp does not work as it should.

My solder setting is 250 C
HOLDER TEMP = 200 C
SLEEP TEMP = 150 C
SLEEP TIME = 5 min, STDBY = 10 min.

When I put iron to holder (I am using JBC T245 and JBC holder), temp goes down to 200 C. Then it stays there for couple seconds, trying to keep it at 200C, but then goes down to 150 C. Iron taken out of holder starts heating to 250 C. Sensor board is the one described around page 90 of this thread (not the opto one developed by sparky).

What could be a problem?
salavat

Postby salavat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 am

I have experimented with settings, to my surprise, everything works as I thought with HOLDER = OFF setting: iron in the stand goes to holder temp, then after set time it goes to sleep temp and shuts off at the set time.

Is that correct?
salavat

Re: Erratic HOLDER temp

Postby minkok » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:40 am

salavat wrote:My station is running and working as it should, however, HOLDER temp does not work as it should.

HOLDER TEMP = 200 C
SLEEP TEMP = 150 C

i use it for a year without a issue with that:
My iron T is 300-350 C
HOLDER TEMP = 174 C
SLEEP TEMP = 174 C
SLEEP TIME = 1-3, STDBY = 30 min
HOLDER - auto
I am glad that you have chosen my solution (based on touch sensing ) :)
Last edited by minkok on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
minkok

Postby minkok » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:47 am

jvolk wrote:HI guys.
I am trying to get my uni-solder working, but I have few problems and I don't know what is the problem. I checked all soldering and it seems fine.

When I power up unisolder it shows "21" for a 1/2 second and then goes to normal screen (showing no-instument, because I have nothing attached). I connected 10 ohm resistor for calibration, but readings are jumpy. It reads ADC: 540 (numbers are jumping around +- 5), but time to time it jumps to around 314 (few times a second, I recorded a video and checked).

I checked voltage on 10 ohm resistor and its stable around 3.5mV.

If I connect T245 without heater the temperature shows around 20°C, but when I plug also heater the iron heats up over 300°C but temperature on display shows around 26°C and heater is on (I had connected heater for max about 3-4 seconds, because I am afraid I will destroy it otherwise).

What should I check?

try to re solder with an iron ( not by hot air ) U11 and U15 and U5/ pin11
minkok

Postby salavat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:04 am

minkok wrote:
salavat wrote:My station is running and working as it should, however, HOLDER temp does not work as it should.

HOLDER TEMP = 200 C
SLEEP TEMP = 150 C

i use it for a year without a issue with that:
My iron T is 300-350 C
HOLDER TEMP = 174 C
SLEEP TEMP = 174 C
SLEEP TIME = 1-3, STDBY = 30 min
HOLDER - auto
I am glad that you have chosen my solution (based on touch sensing ) :)

Yes, your solution is better), thank you.
There are 2 pins on the sensor board which are not connected, is it because of the firmware support?
salavat

Postby minkok » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 am

salavat wrote:There are 2 pins on the sensor board which are not connected, is it because of the firmware support?

Different people, different demands, it is better always to have a choice.
The board is designed thankfully by DinikS. You speak about Tip_changer and Hibernation isn't it?
I connected J1 and J2 together ( I have 2 plates - iron holder and tip exchange ), to be able to use Off time of the heated iron for changing the tip of my T245 iron, the time it reaches holder Temp., but it works correct only for a cold tip plugged in, for hot one you need to off and on the station. Sparkybg mention that Unisolder 5.2 is not designed for quick tip exchange and need to pass the Off - On cycle.
Do not connect Hibernation pin, it is an output.
minkok

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 am

Hi, Doomedahab

it requires more knowledge in coding than I have - sorry. As far as I can
tell, your suggestion needs many lines to be rewritten.

Tony

Doomedahab wrote:Hi Tony,

Thanks for the change, but still it's not perfect. if you go 1 level deeper in the menu the "up" button still is programmed to decrease the value and vice versa. For instance if you want to change t1 value. Can you maybe change that behaviour as well so it is consistent?
Tony

Postby Tony » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:38 am

Hi, Doomedahab

it requires more knowledge in coding than I have - sorry. As far as I can tell, your suggestion needs many lines to be rewritten.

Tony

Doomedahab wrote:Hi Tony,

Thanks for the change, but still it's not perfect. if you go 1 level deeper in the menu the "up" button still is programmed to decrease the value and vice versa. For instance if you want to change t1 value. Can you maybe change that behaviour as well so it is consistent?
Tony

Postby salavat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

minkok wrote:
salavat wrote:There are 2 pins on the sensor board which are not connected, is it because of the firmware support?

Different people, different demands, it is better always to have a choice.
The board is designed thankfully by DinikS. You speak about Tip_changer and Hibernation isn't it?
I connected J1 and J2 together ( I have 2 plates - iron holder and tip exchange ), to be able to use Off time of the heated iron for changing the tip of my T245 iron, the time it reaches holder Temp., but it works correct only for a cold tip plugged in, for hot one you need to off and on the station. Sparkybg mention that Unisolder 5.2 is not designed for quick tip exchange and need to pass the Off - On cycle.
Do not connect Hibernation pin, it is an output.

Thanks for clarifying, so basically hibernation would not work in any shape or form unless supported by firmware?
salavat

Postby eldemo72 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey everyone,

I have taken the liberty to update the unisolder-chips web tool. Now it is much cleaner design and more informative (I have added some information from the unisolder-notes repository too in regards to some components). Feedback welcome.

Attachments
unisolder-chips.7z
(1000.87 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
eldemo72

Postby salavat » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:25 pm

eldemo72 wrote:Hey everyone,

I have taken the liberty to update the unisolder-chips web tool. Now it is much cleaner design and more informative (I have added some information from the unisolder-notes repository too in regards to some components). Feedback welcome.

Great tool, helped me a lot in assembling Unisolder. The first version had couple errors as compared to BOM (caps value was incorrect the one I remember), I do not remember which exactly. Have they been fixed in this one?
salavat

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs