Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby bjornsundklakk » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanx to Sparkybg You and myself I now have 2 X unisolder 5.2 up and running.
I just successfully flashed the bootloader in the two boards with MPLAB X IPE V5.10, and MPLAB X IDE V5.10 in the background. then firmware via *.exe file.
What`s left is some calibration and testing of different Soldering irons/elements.
It`s strange, when you think you have done everything right - I forgot to solder C27 on one board and one end of R47 was not soldered at all -- hmmpfff. Except from that, I got everything right in the first try so far.

PS: I used Pickit3 (guess its a clone) to flash the bootloader. Then I installed the firmware file `US_Firmware.X.production.hex` via the program UniSolder.exe. The firmware is dated 03.04.2017, I guess its the latest compilation from sparkybg ?
Last edited by bjornsundklakk on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjornsundklakk

Postby db9mat » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:43 am

afedorov wrote:
minkok wrote:Check P2/ pin2 to GND.

You're completely right, it should be the reason! GND is back powered periodically by SPI pins and while current consumption is low, charge of the capacitors is enough to provide power until the next update.

Thank you both so much. This was the culprit - while the solder joint looked good, the OLED PCB didn't have a proper connection to GND. Resoldered and now it's working perfectly :) Next up is a case and a replacement middle button which I abused a bit too hard with my hot air station :/

Again, thanks a lot!
db9mat

Postby Morpheus1979 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:52 am

I received the vinyls for the aluminum case yesterday - so i was finally able to finish my unisolder case:

Image Image Image

The touch sensor board inside the holder seems to work as well. But i have the same calibration problem as described by 'minkok'... so i'll try to replace R57 & R59 too.
Morpheus1979

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 am

Hi! Morpheus1979

Make ventilation holes in the housing.
The temperature in the housing rises by a few degrees!
Do not forget about U4 and its purpose.
Replacing R57 & R59 is a good idea. I did the same.
Tony
Tony

Postby Tony » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:50 am

Morpheus1979 wrote:I received the vinyls for the aluminum case yesterday - so i was finally able to finish my unisolder case

The housing is beautiful, I congratulate you.
HNY 2019
Tony
Tony

Postby Doomedahab » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 am

Morpheus1979 wrote:I received the vinyls for the aluminum case yesterday - so i was finally able to finish my unisolder case:

as described by 'minkok'... so i'll try to replace R57 & R59 too.

Very nice work! Where did you order the vinyls if I may ask? Would you be willing to share the design files?
Doomedahab

Postby Morpheus1979 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 am

I ordered from arcadeartshop.de. They did an amazing job in terms of print quality and plotter cutting the transparencies of my PNG files:

Image Image
Last edited by Morpheus1979 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morpheus1979

Postby Doomedahab » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 am

thanks a lot!
Doomedahab

Postby bjornsundklakk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 am

Nice - it works !!. I`v just programmed the sensor board with the `US_sensor.X.production.hex` file. The Hakko T12 tip cools down when i block the the sensors, and heats up again when iron removed.
My wishes for future firmware upgrades is some text or symbol that indicates what state the Unisolder is in, for instance; "standby" ,"holder", just as when it goes to Zzzzz. Not just the temperature falling or rising.
The set temperature in small fonts, would have been nice to have in one corner.
I think the software jumps too soon out of the settings mode when I try to change the settings. There could have been dedicated "EXIT" in the settings.
It would also have been perfect to wake up the Unisolder from sleep with the push of a button.
i`m not a good programmer so i doubt i can manage to do that myself . This is my first project with a microcontroller, and so many SMT parts, ever.

I find the Stand-by/sleep/Holder settings a bit confusing, but it works with the sensor.

A couple of questions:

1 is "SLEEP TIME" and "STAND-BY" all measured is minutes ?
2 I understand that the Unisolder is totally switched off when in Sleep (Zzzzz) mode.
Does the setting "SLEEP TEMP" keep the temp up to the settings when its switched off and in sleep mode anyway ?
3 is it so that the "STAND-BY" fall out of function when you have the holder with sensor connected ?
4 I guess "HOL" means holder temp ?

I must honor this project an all the work you are doing. Thanks.
I`m planning to advance to a JBC iron further on in time, and then try to build the other sensor.
Last edited by bjornsundklakk on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjornsundklakk

Postby Morpheus1979 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:37 am

I still got some leftovers here: 3 fully assembled and preprogrammed optical sensor pcbs and 5 touch sensor pcbs (3 empty ones and 2 fully assembled):

Maybe someone is interested in some of them...
Morpheus1979

Postby nicoluccio » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi,

I have finished populating the unisolder boards. I have some problems with Oled display (black most of the time but if I wiggle a bit the pcb it turns on, but doesn't stay lit). I have to check voltages when I will have some spare time...

In the meanwhile thanks to Sparkybg for this amazing project and to all the community for the support.

I'll be back soon,

Nicola

EDIT: solved the problem with Oled display, it was a bad solder joint in one of the jumpers (Ra).
Last edited by nicoluccio on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nicoluccio

Postby salavat » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:21 pm

I have received 2.42' OLED display from the link which was posted earlier (it is diymore made OLED). Have tested it quickly with UNO and some Adafruit SSD1306 test scetch. Looks like it is SSD1306 compatible display, but what is more interesting that it does work without (GND and VCC) power pins attached)), I was using only digital outputs on UNO board and disconnected temporarily power pins while uploading scetch, to my surprise screen showed different images as per scetch.

Does this OLED screen actually needs powering on Unisolder station at all?))
salavat

Postby Doomedahab » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:11 am

Morpheus1979 wrote:I still got some leftovers here: 3 fully assembled and preprogrammed optical sensor pcbs and 5 touch sensor pcbs (3 empty ones and 2 fully assembled):

Maybe someone is interested in some of them...

I sent you an email
Doomedahab

Postby zed65 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:17 pm

First batch of Unisoder1206 PCB has arrived, started to populate one and the PIC programmed without any problem :)

To be continued..

unisolder5.jpg
zed65

Postby Doomedahab » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:18 am

Looks very easy to solder on to, good job! But why no mounting holes?

PS: U11 and U15 are awkwardly positioned, you'd have to fiddle with at least one of them when soldering, drag soldering seems to be impossible on one side of one of the chips with the legs facing each other
Doomedahab

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs