Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby Swiety » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:48 am

I will replace Q1 today. Luckily I got it :).

Minkok there is no 3,3 and -0,6V on J2. I checked it at the very begining.

U1 seems to be okey. I will let You know in the evening.

Thanks!
Swiety

Postby Swiety » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:58 am

Hey,
D5 on back board was the problem.

Sadly the front board got roasted too. Probably a pick of ~34V went on 3,3V rail to front board.
PIC32 was roasted for surel. It was causing circuit short. I don`t know if anything more got roasted. After desoldering PIC no more short. A lot of elements on the path.

At the moment I am going to replace PIC32, and if that won`t help I will probablly build new front PCB.

Simple zener on front board could save it. I beleive it is worth to add it.
Swiety

Postby minkok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 am

Swiety wrote:Sadly the front board got roasted too. Probably a pick of ~34V went on 3,3V rail to front board.
PIC32 was roasted for surel. It was causing circuit short.
At the moment I am going to replace PIC32, and if that won`t help I will probablly build new front PCB.

Nobody can say what could be damage from the beginning, but what I can see, more sensitive are pic32 and TC1047A , the others are questionable. If you are going to assemble new board with old components - no sense. It is better to fix the old board, just to check the parts and don't connect the cartridge the time all is ok.
minkok

Postby Swiety » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:38 am

Thanks Minkok.

I will also replace TC1047A.
Of course I prefer to repair the board, but it may take a lot of time, which I beleive won`t be worth, because I can`t be sure if it will work in the end.
If I would build new front PCB, I wouldn`t use old parts. They would go to trash.
Swiety

Postby minkok » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 am

Swiety wrote:If I would build new front PCB, I wouldn`t use old parts. They would go to trash.

Keep them for spares, chip capacitors are rated at least to 50V, resistors and fets on affected areas you can check.
When you remove Q2 and Q8/ from back board, you should check their driving, without them station should get handle ID. Not easy job
Actually you can check both fets driving without removing them, but do not touch their gate and always without cartridge.
You have to be sure they can be driven correctly.
minkok

Postby joey120373 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:33 pm

I've got most of the soldering done,
Its not as good as i would like but I am doing all of the soldering inside a work truck with a T100 portable iron and no optical help at all ( no magnifying glass or microscope ), so it's probably not too bad considering.

I did make a couple of errors on my BOM, I ordered 100k ohm instead of 100 ohm resistors, and i forgot to add 2k ohm resistors to the order for the .004 ohm shunt.

So ill have to wait a few more days on those.

The JBC iron i ordered was not in stock, so waiting on that as well, should be here in a week or so. I did get one of the tips though, it looks really nice, but actually smaller than i was expecting.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_54.jpeg
joey120373

Postby joey120373 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm

and the rear :
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_57.jpeg
joey120373

Postby joey120373 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 pm

And here it is mostly completed.

I managed to loose a diode ( D14) somehow, so ordering another one of those along with the other odds and ends.

I am impressed with the little TS100 iron. I'm using it with a 19volt supply, so not even up to its full potential ( that requires a 24 volt supply ) and it managed the job fairly well i think.

* edit * yes, i still need to install R4!
* edit #2.... * I had to use my butane powered iron with a heat-shrink tip ( terrible hot air field substitute..... ) to get L3
on there. the inductor i ordered completely covered the pads. that's why its not aligned very well, I only kept the hot air on it just long enough to see it move, then I called it good-nuff. The butane torch isn't regulated ( obviously ) and i did not want to overheat U19... hope it works....
Attachments
MyUnisolder.jpg
joey120373

Postby Evgeny1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:03 am

Good afternoon!
I have already assembled my station for a long time (I showed it on page 47 of viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218&start=690 )
I asked for the latest firmware at that time, there is no CSS support, are there any new firmware today? Is there support for USB and PC software or mac?
What's new since that moment?

Thank you!
Evgeny1

Postby joey120373 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:16 am

Hmmmm....

well, initial tests are not good!

I powered up the back board with ~ 20v DC, just to test the 3.3v and -0.7v rails.

i have the -0.7 volts, but no 3.3v.

further testing, i have a short to ground somewhere on the 3.3v rail.

I removed C2, C3, and C4, short is still there. looking at the schems, that leaves C21, U3 and U1 as likely candidates..

I am also wondering if i may have a solder bridge to ground under L1. None of those remaining components will be easy to remove,

Wondering where you all think i should start, jas anyone else had this issue?

Thanks Joe
joey120373

Postby joey120373 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:07 am

Ok!
I was afraid U3 was the culprit, so I removed it, no luck, still a short to ground on the 3.3v rail.

So I pulled L1 off the board and that was the culprit.
It was what I had thought, the large pads on the bottom of the inductor were allowing a path to ground through the stitching vias that are under Ruth the inductor. I will put a piece of caption tape under it defore I solder it back down. Hopefully I didn’t damage the controller (u3).
joey120373

Postby joey120373 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:53 am

Got it all put back together, now i have 3.3v and -0.6 volt, great!

JBC 245 iron should be showing up in a day or two so I'm getting close to testing it. OLED is on a slow boat from china, not sure when that will show up, but if i get impatient i may just rob one from an Adafruit display board, I have a few of those, as well as a few cheep knock offs laying around.

I also ordered a clone Pic Kit 3 off of Flee-bay, I have never tried to program a Pic before, so that should be interesting.
joey120373

Previous

Return to Project logs