Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby dumitruv » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 pm

I was asked about the LCD option and the modifications to the software. Any 128x64 LCD with a KS0108 or equivalent working at 3.3V should work. The modified OLED.c is attached. I will document the wiring later, maybe in the weekend.
Attachments
OLED.c
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
dumitruv

Postby minkok » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:28 am

dumitruv wrote:I was asked about the LCD option and the modifications to the software. Any 128x64 LCD with a KS0108 or equivalent working at 3.3V should work. The modified OLED.c is attached. I will document the wiring later, maybe in the weekend.

Good work man, it is really a huuuuge LCD, can you please upload some pictures of working one mounted to the station.
It is like mine 12864-Display-LCD for the 3d printer, but nowhere is mentioned the built in controller.
I found 2 kinds of:
Display module KS0107 KS0108 Compatible Controller
and 128*64 DOTS LCD Module 5V Yellow and Green Screen 12864 LCD with Backlight ST7920 Parallel Port
most likely is the second one, but blue-white, reversed screen.
Attachments
RAMPS-12864-LCD.jpg
Last edited by minkok on Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
minkok

Postby NECHTO » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:58 am

dumitruv wrote:I was asked about the LCD option and the modifications to the software. Any 128x64 LCD with a KS0108 or equivalent working at 3.3V should work. The modified OLED.c is attached. I will document the wiring later, maybe in the weekend.

Excellent! - great work :)

the forum has come to life again!

(it will be nice to have a connection diagram-pinout)
NECHTO

Postby SZ64 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 am

dumitruv wrote:I was asked about the LCD option ....

sounds very familiar to me ;) thank you very much !
SZ64

Postby dumitruv » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 pm

NECHTO wrote:(it will be nice to have a connection diagram-pinout)

Here you go, the connection diagram and more. Basically it connects in the place of oled. I have to mention though that the refresh rate of the OLED is very high and LCD cannot keep up very well with it so you'll see quite some ghosting. The results depend on the LCD module response time, some may be better than others but not by much.
I tested two LCD modules that you can buy on ebay or from http://www.buydisplay.com.
One is ERC12864-2 (2.6") and the other is ERC12864-4 (1.8"). They have different settings in OLED.c so you'll have to modify two lines that set the bias and the contrast :
ERC12864-2
0x81, 0x16, //set contrast
0xA3, //set bias 1/7

ERC12864-4
0x81, 0x05, //set contrast
0xA2, //set bias 1/9

One problem with these LCD modules, you can see a vertical line on the right side of the display. I didn't have time to see where is coming from, it is like the display has 129 columns instead of 128. Whoever figures it out, please let me know.
Attachments
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
dumitruv

Postby fero » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 am

hi guys,
first of all, i want to thank everybody here!
Nice thread and cool guys with skills!
finally i finished my station(wihout case) and its running fine.
My big wish is to add the jbc nano tweezer( i have already micro tweezer,but little to big for my pcbs)

i asked few months ago, but unfortunatly no update.
Maybe we can together figure out,how to add the nano-tweezer?
best regards
fero

Postby MadBekon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Hi guys.
I'm currently working on my second Unisolder build. This time, only DC power.
Seems to be working, except one thing, when I disconnect plug, it still sees it connected and screen shows current temperature, like 22-28'C degrees. For now I'm planing to use it only with JBC tips, but, doesn't look like it should.
Anyone have seen problem like that?

27939275_1802188429804993_494745202_n.jpg
Still have some Unisolder PCBs available... 12euro per set.
MadBekon

Postby hotdoc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi guys,

first of all thank you sparky for this great project,
I am just starting to do micro soldering and need a good iron for that.
As I don't want to spend thousands of bucks on one good set of equipment,
I stumbled upon this thread while looking for alternatives.

So here is my progress so far:

- Found someone who bought 10 UniSolder boards rev 5.2 and sold me one of them.
- Looked for/found a supplier for all/most of the components
- Bought a 1,3" OLED display with SPI & same resolution, because the exact 0,96" wasnt available and too small anyways

I have a little trouble to find all the components, I want to buy everything from one source if possible.
These are the parts that are missing so far:
Q2,Q8: SUD50P10
Q17,Q20: IRLML2502

Can someone say which part could be a feasable substitute to these both parts?
Maybe the DMN2075U-7DICT-ND could be used for the IRLML2502?
Also, for TVS1 I have chosen SMCJ60CALFCT-ND, is that correct?

Thank you

hotdoc

Edit: I've already found that SUD50P08 is a legit replacement for the SUD50P10, but what to do with the IRLML2502?
hotdoc

Postby puzzle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:23 pm

@hotdoc:
Hi,
I just want to repost some of my pictures of my almost populated board so you can see witch components you do not need... in your case Q17 and Q20 are not needed!
PUZZ1026b.jpg

and same picture without markings
PUZZ1026a.jpg

Note that some of the components were not populated because I did not had them at time the picture is taken.
Also I would suggest using ESD strap and heat sink for handling and soldering of the IC's and FETs ... last week I finished my second unisolder and both have started without major hiccups from first boot! It may be due to my handling of all components with elevated care to ESD protection and also using a small heat sink on top of IC's wile soldering them.

Cheers and Good Luck

Edit: here' link to Q2,Q8: SUD50P10 :
https://store.comet.bg/CatalogueFarnell/Product/681985/

For me 0,96in OLED is totally enough - sparkybg made the temp number quite large so it is fine for its purpose. biggest issue is that you cant find it easy enough.

As for the TVS1 - I used this:
https://www.tme.eu/gb/details/5kp60a-di ... or/5kp60a/
I'm a newbie at electronics and for that always take my words with a grain of salt - it is very possible I'm wrong!
puzzle

Postby dumitruv » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:27 am

puzzle wrote:@hotdoc:
For me 0,96in OLED is totally enough - sparkybg made the temp number quite large so it is fine for its purpose. biggest issue is that you cant find it easy enough.

You can find both .96" and 1.3" here

https://www.buydisplay.com/
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/data ... e-on-black
https://www.buydisplay.com/default/seri ... e-on-black

Very serious vendor in my opinion, selling on ebay as well.
dumitruv

Postby ScotY808 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 pm

dawiddoruch wrote:Hi guys!

I have some parts from unfinished UniSolder and maybe someone will be interested and would buy that stuff:

- UniSolder 5.2 power board - working properly
- UniSolder 5.2 main board - damaged and used as donor for parts (mainly resistors, maybe 1-2 caps as well) - the PCB is ok, can be used to rebuild, I dont know if processor is working and I dont know what was damaged
- UniSolder 5.2 OLED board - not tested, but should work
- Solid enclosure with AC-DC power supply 100-240V 50-60Hz 2A IN, 19.5V 6.66A OUT, power switch, JBC compatible connector and AC connector (like the one used in PC's power supplies)
- JBC T245-A handle
- JBC C245741 Cartridge Chisel 2,4x0,6
- JBC C245903 Cartridge Conical 1,0
- Some connectors, passives, IC... I don't know. There is a small box full of stuff.

Photos available here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nlDxrxJxIGPNgaNj1

I'm asking $100 shipped via USPS Flat Rate Medium Box to wherever in continental US.

EDIT:
Main board was damaged because I've soldered two resistors "vertically" where they were supposed to be "horizontally" and I assume something got fried. Anyway main board is NOT working, it has few parts missing but I think that if you know what you're doing you could rebuild it....

EDIT 2:
I will let it go for $100 shipped :P

Is this still for sale? The link to pics is dead.
ScotY808

Postby cj9 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:29 am

Hi,

I have soldered up three of these boards. Visually inspected but they all have the same issue!I'm using the JBC T245 following all instructions and are detected fine, however on boot they say "heater open".

Could anyone provide advice for troubleshooting?

Thanks
cj9

Postby afedorov » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:18 pm

cj9, measure resistance of the heater (between Vout1+ and Vout1- on J2) when the controller is powered down. It should be around 3 Ohm.
Check shunt amplifier (U13B) configuration, it should match resistance of the current shunt.
Also, there may be a problem with upper switch (Q2) or its driver, controller should switch it on for at least one period, check the voltage across the heater when powering on the controller, may be your DMM will catch it.

dumitruv, thanks for sharing!

MadBekon, great work, it so compact! I also thinking of building such a compact version for field use, after I complete the first one.
afedorov

Postby progrock » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm still having trouble programming my unisolder (well, TBH, haven't looked at it for a few weeks). I now have a Pickit 3, not sure if that'll help... the big problem is, I don't have windows. Well, I tech have windows running in a VM on a Unraid build, but was having an issue getting Windows to detect the USB programmer. Can anyone describe how you would go about programming the main chip (already installed in a complete board) using Linux?.. or, if not possible, confirm that Windows is required. Maybe I am missing something, but I see pretty much no instructions about how to program the board.
progrock

Postby DinikS » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm

progrock wrote:I'm still having trouble programming my unisolder (well, TBH, haven't looked at it for a few weeks). I now have a Pickit 3, not sure if that'll help... the big problem is, I don't have windows. Well, I tech have windows running in a VM on a Unraid build, but was having an issue getting Windows to detect the USB programmer. Can anyone describe how you would go about programming the main chip (already installed in a complete board) using Linux?.. or, if not possible, confirm that Windows is required. Maybe I am missing something, but I see pretty much no instructions about how to program the board.

Hi progrock, you do not need Windows. MPLAB-X IDE works perfectly under Linux. Just install it and use MPLAB IPE to flash your controller.
My system is Linux Lite. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
screenshot_2018-02-26_21-56-57.png
DinikS

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs