Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby crashtest84 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Has anybody used a stencil/hot air to assemble their board? Was thinking about trying that and I'm not sure I have the right stencil file the gerber zip.
crashtest84

Postby Osmodia » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Without reading all 117 pages, can someone recommend an enclosure?
Would this OLED work? https://goo.gl/oCK2mp

Thanks in advance.
Osmodia

Postby afedorov » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 am

Sparky designed UniSolder boards to fit into the BK2000+ soldering station enclosure. I saw some people here bought this cheapo just for the enclosure.
If the description is correct, this OLED should work fine. I've used such a display module to get the display for my board.
Readings the thread is a good idea, however, as you will know some of the pitfalls you may encounter while sourcing the parts and assembling the boards.
afedorov

Postby Andy99 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:19 am

Hello everybody,

I have a question about the PCBs for this station. Is there any way to buy them for this station?

Thank you :)
Andy99

Postby minkok » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 am

crashtest84 wrote:Has anybody used a stencil/hot air to assemble their board? Was thinking about trying that and I'm not sure I have the right stencil file the gerber zip.

Hello crashtest84, one guy reported using hot air creates soldering issues and instead of resolder again the all board, do it with iron.
Some board manufacturer offers also creating stencils and parts soldering, but I cannot give you direction to them, I made mine by iron.
minkok

Postby Bug82 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:32 am

Bug82 wrote:Hi, i am still looking for a desoldering Iron for my unisolder build. Does anyone know if the Weller DSX80 could work with the WSP80 profile?

I gave it a try and it works sufficiently good. Wiring of the DSX80 is similar to the WSP80, i had to do a little change to separate the hand piece button from the unisolder. There seems to be a slight temperature offset(temperature of the iron is lower than displayed), and the temperature is overshooting and oscillating a little bit.

I guess it possible to correct that by adjusting the PID parameters, but unfortunately i dont really understand those parameters and i dont know how to compile it. But for me it is good enough to use it anyway.

Is anyone in contact with sparkybg? Is he ok?
Bug82

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:43 am

DO any of the chips need to be programmed before being soldered onto the board?... or can that all be done after the baords are put together via USB?

Also, I can't seem to find where the 0 Ohm 0402 resistors go (Ja, Jb, Jc, Jd, Je, Jg ).... My best guess is underneath U9... Also, is there any difference between using 0 Ohm 0402 resistors or just soldering the 2 pins together?... Either way, seems confusing, why this would be needed and not already connected in the circuit board... unless they can be something other than 0 Ohm.... (ALSO, if I am wrong about them being underneath U9... what is that under U9?)
progrock

Postby minkok » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 am

progrock wrote:DO any of the chips need to be programmed before being soldered onto the board?... or can that all be done after the baords are put together via USB?

Also, I can't seem to find where the 0 Ohm 0402 resistors go (Ja, Jb, Jc, Jd, Je, Jg ).... My best guess is underneath U9... Also, is there any difference between using 0 Ohm 0402 resistors or just soldering the 2 pins together?... Either way, seems confusing, why this would be needed and not already connected in the circuit board... unless they can be something other than 0 Ohm.... (ALSO, if I am wrong about them being underneath U9... what is that under U9?)

None of the chips required to be programmed before soldering, the board has ICSP for pic32 to be programmed with a full flash or just boot loader for ease serving through USB. If you have stand alone programmer supported that IC you can program it before soldering.
Do yourself a favor and read the thread from the beginning, everything is already explained many times with pictures, not only for the assembling, but also for the common mistakes, faults and alignment.
minkok

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 am

Thanks for the response, and the info... and yes I know I should read the thread.... just A LOT of pages to go through, and I seem to never make it far enough for the details I am looking for.... tho some instructions would be useful, just been winging it from the circuit diagram / BOM. Though already wishing I did some of the harder components first, I was simply going surface mount to through hole... but in reality, should have picked a better order for the surface mounts. Started with the small components, when more likely should have started with the bigger ones (with regard to surface mounts only)... But so far I think I've done alright... but got a few hard parts left. PLUS, there are A LOT of small components, and I'm still far from an expert at soldering these little guys.... so even tho most of it looks good to me, still at the very least a 10% chance something is not gonna work... probably closer to 50%... luckily I bought enough parts to build at least 2, hopefully 1 of them works).

Anyway, I definitely appreciate the answer, and from what I could tell on the circuit diagram I was right about the 0 Ohm 0402 resistors (THO I really wish they were not needed... The 0603 capacitors were about as small as I'd ever like to solder... and when I tried to jsut bridge the gap with solder, could only get 4 of the 6 done that way.. then realized the solder was taller than the 0402 resistors soldered in place.... so had to redo it, and after enough attempts, and repeated checks with my multimeter, I finally got it... and even then, the U9 chip as still lifted off it's pads a little, took a few tries to get all the legs soldered in correctly).

I'll do my best to read through more of the thread, hopefully can find some useful info that I haven't already mucked up.
progrock

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:42 am

Anyone know if the ADG1434 can be used in place of ADG734?

I apparently ordered the ADG1434, since at the time Arrow had that, but not the ADG734..... For the most part, I'm pretty sure any replacements I had ordered were mentioned as a viable replacement here... BUT, I can't seem to find where I read this one. All I've found so far is on page 61 where it says there is no replacement for the ADG734.... of course there's a chance the ADG1434 was found later.. but I can't seem to find any reference.

Luckily, Arrow does have the ADG734 in stock now... so I might order it tomorrow (free overnight as long as I can find a few more things I need to order to hit $20).... but my gut feels like the ADG1434 is likely viable... THO it was much more expensive... more than 3 times the cost.... so maybe I'll order the ADG734 eitehr way.... tho I doubt I'll have another use for the 2 ADG1434's I now have anyway.

ALSO, anyone know od a replacement for the IRLML2502 ?... I ordered some IRLML6246's which seem very similar.... but not sure if they will work as a replacement or not. I also have some SSF2300's.... both seem similarly speced... but I might have missed something, and neither is exactly the same as the IRLML2502.
progrock

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 am

OK, I definitely wish the BOM was more detailed.... considering the 7 segment display apparently was never even implemented.. and I'm assuming the Buzzer also was not (does that mean no speaker is needed at all?). Apparently I don't need the IRLML2502's at all... 1 of them is for the 7 segment display.... 1 is for the Buzzer... both not implemented I believe. Also, just realized Ra - Rg should not be 47 Ohm, but actually 0/shorted (I already have the 47 Ohm resistors installed there... it's easy enough to replace with 0's... BUT, if the 47's are actually OK and won't cause problems, then I'll leave them).

Don't get me wrong, I can't complain since it's a very cool free open hardware design.... definitely appreciate the hard work. But considering it's at version 5.2... would expect these "past" feature's to have been removed from the board design and maybe a BOM with sections describing the parts you don't need (the 7 segment display stuff primarily... but also notes on the resistors that actually should be 0, etc). Seems like the 7 segment displays would not be very useful if you have an OLED display already... might be worth an update to the board design... I'm guessing if the unnecessary parts are removed, and the "0 ohm" resistors/shorts could be connected within the board already (unless this is not possible).... I know it wouldn't be much of a difference, BUT, it might be enough to give a bit more space for some of the tight/hard to solder components.... but just a thought.

EDIT: Can anyone confirm whether or not the buzzer/speaker has been implemented in the firmware?... I went ahead and installed one either way... but since I don't have an IRLML2502... I used a IRLML6246 for Q20.... hope that's a viable replacement... worse case I remove it I suppose.
Last edited by progrock on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progrock

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:24 pm

One more question... And I am sorry, I'm sure this is covered somewhere.. I've been reading through from the beginning of the thread as much as I can (skimming TBH, but how else am I gonna get through 117 pages)... I can't seem to find anywhere that explains the correct way to mount the OLED board. My best guess is that looking at the open spots for the three 7 segment displays, two 5-pin female headers should be placed on the top and bottom rows of the empty 7-segment displays. Seems like the only thing that makes sense based on the two 5-pin connectors on the OLED board (which I assume I should be putting two 5-pin male connectors).

I believe I also need to replace my 47 ohm Ra - Rg resistors with 0 ohm. Also, I believe there are 3 mount holes (in a line, all part of the 7-segment display mount points) on the back of the board that I think I'm supposed to short the pads that are around the holes to the inside of the holes (I know not very technical, but just wanna confirm this is correct, and that it's just the 3 I see).

EDIT: looks like I was right. Still couldn't find anywhere that explicitly stated this... tho I suppose there are not any other possible ways it would fit. But stil wouldn't hurt if there was a photo of the FRONT PCB completely populated without the OLED attached... would provide a clearer view of the whole board.
Last edited by progrock on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
progrock

Postby afedorov » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:33 pm

progrock wrote:but my gut feels like the ADG1434 is likely viable...

If you look closely in the datasheets of both chips you'd probably notice straight away that it is not.
progrock wrote:I believe I also need to replace my 47 ohm Ra - Rg resistors with 0 ohm

47 Ohm should be OK, I suppose. Even better than having a direct connection. Frequency is not that high.
afedorov

Postby progrock » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:48 pm

Haha, just finished switching the 47 to 0 ohm, oh well. And I guess I did not look close enough, both chips looked nearly identical in when looking at their internal structure... but clearly I missed a value or something (just surprised I ordered them then... must have been tired or something.. had been pretty careful going over every piece, especially those that were not exactly the ones in the BOM)... but guess it was entirely my own mistake.

Luckily I already ordered the ADG734 this morning, should have it tomorrow.... and for some reason can't find the 60V TVS diodes I ordered, so grabbed a couple of replacements as well. Then just need to find where I stashed my OLED displays, and should have pretty much everything complete in the next day or two, unless I run into major problems... got my fingers crossed
progrock

Postby puzzle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:03 am

@progrock:
You can start reading at page say 60. At page 63 I've posted some pictures with some explanations on what you do not need to solder. Note on front board some parts I have not yet mounted U10,the USB, the buttons, sockets, programing header and the display...everything else is mounted - if I remember correctly.

I would not change parts with a light hand, as it would be difficult to help you if something is wrong after the assembly!

Good luck whit this excellent project!
I'm a newbie at electronics and for that always take my words with a grain of salt - it is very possible I'm wrong!
puzzle

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs