Really universal soldering controller

A place to document your own projects.

Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby afedorov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:57 am

Ok, you're right, cartridges are more expensive than the controller.
Unfortunately, pin 30 is not 5VT, according to the datasheet. Supplying 5V to it will abuse ESD diodes.
3.6V zener greatly affects ADC readings on a higher R values, makes it just on the edge of the range, not reliable. But it can be fixed in the firmware. Also, instead of zener steering schottky diodes may be placed.
afedorov

Postby minkok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

afedorov wrote:Ok, you're right, cartridges are more expensive than the controller.
Unfortunately, pin 30 is not 5VT, according to the datasheet. Supplying 5V to it will abuse ESD diodes.

From where you got that info? Because in my datasheet on the first page is written in short, the parameters for IO ports!
And also pin 30 in TQFP package is AN15 - analog input.
Attachments
PIC32MX5XX.png
minkok

Postby afedorov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:37 pm

minkok wrote:From where you got that info?

It's on the pinout map. 5VT pins are marked by dark boxes, while 3.3VT ones are white.
Attachments
PIC32MX.png
afedorov

Postby minkok » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 pm

afedorov wrote:
minkok wrote:From where you got that info?

It's on the pinout map. 5VT pins are marked by dark boxes, while 3.3VT ones are white.

You are right here, not all IO are 5V tolerant.
Isn't it funny, just for a 30p is not 5V tolerant, cannot be created cartridge protection that way.
minkok

Postby afedorov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 pm

It can be created in a such way, but it requires tuning ADC values map in the firmware.
afedorov

Postby minkok » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 am

afedorov wrote:It can be created in a such way, but it requires tuning ADC values map in the firmware.

Can you do all, write the desired code and change the ADC value map, or to wait for a sparkybg to come back?
minkok

Postby afedorov » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:53 pm

Besides of the fact that it's Sparky's project, my knowledge of PID and accompanied code is not enough, sure I will disturb normal controller operation that will lead to a greater disasters. I can only adjust ADC table, but zener leakage current on Vr close to breakdown voltage greatly varies. And the main pitfall is the large current passing through the zener when feeding 24V through 150 Ohm (and, potentially, 100 Ohm) resistor. When I experimented on the breadboard with PTC protection (direct feed, no ID resistor, though), zener voltage raised up to voltages close to 5V on 3.6V zener. If throw away 1wire compatibility, a high value series resistor may be placed between R24 and pin 30, say 3k, followed by a small capacitor (about 100pF, maybe, to buffer against ADC's sampling capacitor) and a low leakage steering diodes pair (preferably schottky, BAT46WH is already in the BOM). Also between VDD and GND an 3.6V zener, since about 20mA current through R24 may lead to raise in VDD voltage. This should be better than just a zener.
afedorov

Postby minkok » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 pm

afedorov wrote:It can be created in a such way, but it requires tuning ADC values map in the firmware.

Isn't it much easier, just to rewire new 5V tolerant pin 4 and justs have replaced 30p with it in all firmware.
minkok

Postby afedorov » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:47 am

Easier, if pin 4 would been an analog pin. )
Moreover, it requires bodging or respining the board. Additional protecting circuit may reside anywhere in between the iron connector and the front board, and it consists of a jellybean parts.
Tested this simple resistor-diode protection and it works quite well (4V because of regular 1N4148 are used) and LTSpice simulation completely matches.
Attachments
idprotsimple5u.png
idprotsimple5u.png (3.61 KiB) Viewed 456 times
idprotsimple50n.png
idprotsimple50n.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Last edited by afedorov on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
afedorov

Postby minkok » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:04 am

afedorov wrote:Easier, if pin 4 would been an analog pin. )
Moreover, it requires bodging or respining the board. Additional protecting circuit may reside anywhere in between the iron connector and the front board, and it consists of a jellybean parts.

Yep, correct.
Solution is, more attention, genuine parts, small thermosink for the hot countries ( for Q2 only ). No other is worth to be done.
minkok

Postby afedorov » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 am

Yes, this is the best solution.
afedorov

Postby NECHTO » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:01 am

afedorov wrote:Got my SH1106 OLED.
Seems like it's somewhat a rip-off of SSD1306 with truncated capabilities and BAD documentation. Controller cannot roll out column addres so it should be updated each time before sending a page.
But to make it work with Sparky's code only requires changing some of the initialization parameters and the update function. Command/data interleaving makes display update slightly longer, but it's OK I believe.
Can't build the sources though. Do I really need the `right` compiler or the free version can cut it?

I also have enough displays with a controller SH1106 (the Chinese themselves do not know what they send! - they write and say one thing, another comes).
I am very interested in solving this issue.
Recompiling the code is not a problem.
The problem is that it is not known what to change in the code. Above who wrote that you only need to change one line ... but I do not know what to change :)
NECHTO

Postby afedorov » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Hi NECHTO,
I can provide the patch to support SH1106, but I didn't tried it on UniSolder yet, since my OLED display already been desoldered from Chinese board and I really don't want to desolder and resolder it again. I've ordered the parts for the sole OLED board and will try later. I've managed to get it work on the STM32 devboard. I'm pretty confident that it should work on PIC32MX, but can't guaranty.
afedorov

Postby NECHTO » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 am

afedorov wrote:Hi NECHTO,
I can provide the patch to support SH1106, but I didn't tried it on UniSolder yet, since my OLED display already been desoldered from Chinese board and I really don't want to desolder and resolder it again. I've ordered the parts for the sole OLED board and will try later. I've managed to get it work on the STM32 devboard. I'm pretty confident that it should work on PIC32MX, but can't guaranty.

Would be great if you can make the patch. Alternatively, if you provide the code "the difference in the initialization of these controllers" - need to find only where it is written in this code and replace. I can recompile and check!

if someone can help - here is the Datasheet:
SH1106.pdf
SH1106
(715.51 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
NECHTO

Postby afedorov » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:08 am

NECHTO wrote:if someone can help - here is the Datasheet:

I've dropped the patches to the PM. Please check it and If it works OK, I'll update the post and put it here.

NECHTO checked support code for the SH1106 display and it seems to be working fine.
Here are the patches. Apply with -p1 from the root source directory of each firmware and bootloader.
US_sh1106.patch is for main firmware, while
US_sh1106_bl.patch is for bootloader.
US_SH1106_complete.patch - the complete patch, which adds new configurations to both projects, with appropriate options. By default exactly the same HEX files as provided by Sparky are produced. To build for SH1106 display you only need to choose required *_SH1106 configuration in the MPLAB and rebuild the project.
Apply with -p0 from the `front' directory of Sparky's archive.
Use with caution, since the code not extensively tested yet.
Attachments
US_SH1106_complete.patch
(71.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
US_sh1106_bl.patch
(1.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
US_sh1106.patch
(2.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by afedorov on Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
afedorov

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs