Re: Really universal soldering controller

Postby canteen234 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:09 pm

@afedorov
Thank you for your answer.
canteen234

Postby ccb » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Sparkybg for a great project! - I had a lot of fun assembling it. Also thanks to tto44ka who I brought the kit from on ebay, it made it sooo much easier for a newbie to get the project off the ground. Also need to thank others that have posted pictures of their boards and their experiences, these helped alot.

I went through the BOM and soldered all resistors/caps etc in order but hunting for part numbers on the pcb wastes alot of time - I kind of wish there was software that could load the gerbers and search to speed this bit up?

The back board powered up fine first go but I've got a 5v U1 part so I'm waiting on arrival of a 3.3v U1. In the mean time I powered up the front board with my lab power supply and was a bit disappointed that it had a short. Took me a few of days trying to track it down. I finally got it though but not exactly sure where it was as I resoldered a few components/connections. But the front board is alive and firmware/software installed. It's displaying 21 power lost - I hope once the I have the back board connected it should all go.

One question - the oled board is using pin headers, is the oled board mounted hard to the front board with the plastic headers as spacing or is this positioned off the board at the pin header lenght? I'm going to mount it in a blackjack case the same as Sparkybg.

I also have to mention to other newbies that a hot air station is really handy - great for desolder/placing components back - would have struggled with just a soldering iron. I just have a Quick 957DW.

Thanks
Carl
ccb

Postby Bug82 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:21 am

ccb wrote:I went through the BOM and soldered all resistors/caps etc in order but hunting for part numbers on the pcb wastes alot of time - I kind of wish there was software that could load the gerbers and search to speed this bit up?
Carl

MadBekon has posted something like this:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7218&p=64756&hilit=chips#p64756

MadBekon wrote:For those that are going to solder this project, basic helper, helping find elements on PCB.
BOM is related on elements I used, is not exactly the same as original BOM.
This is just to help locating components on the boards.

Hope this will be usefull...
PS. Please don't browse the code. I'm totally not a JS / HTML programmer.
Code is not optimal or well organized. But should work.

Also available here: http://serwer1392854.home.pl/unisolder/
unisolder_chips.zip
Bug82

Postby sparkybg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:53 am

ccb wrote:One question - the oled board is using pin headers, is the oled board mounted hard to the front board with the plastic headers as spacing or is this positioned off the board at the pin header lenght? I'm going to mount it in a blackjack case the same as Sparkybg.

I am using collet type sockets on the front PCB and apropriate pins on the OLED board, cut to the proper lenght in order for OLED to be as close as possible to the front cover window. The front cover dark tinted glass is also removed.

12017-open-frame-collet-dip-wire-wrap-socket[1].jpg
12017-open-frame-collet-dip-wire-wrap-socket[1].jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 489 times
sparkybg

Postby ScotY808 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Finally my Mouser parts order arrived! I changed U8 EEPROM and tried it...it shows 21 for a brief moment and then the correct display!!! Thank you, everyone, for all the help! Now, hopefully, everything else works as I continue.
ScotY808

Postby ccb » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:14 am

My Unisolder seems to be all working apart from the calibration. When I try to calibrate the R value is doesn't go low enough, somethings not right? I've got a 9.98ohm resistor.

Anyone got any suggestions?

1.JPG
1.JPG (12.5 KiB) Viewed 362 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (13.53 KiB) Viewed 362 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (12.55 KiB) Viewed 362 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (11.52 KiB) Viewed 362 times
ccb

Postby sparkybg » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:25 am

Try replacing R57 and R59 (one by one) with next higher and next lower value (1.8k, 1.3k).
sparkybg

Postby Bug82 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm

I just replaced the 3V zeners. Now both pcb sets recognize the AC supply voltage.
Thanks for the help to figure that out. I would have never found that problem alone.

I could also test one set successfully with a JBC T245.

The second front board does not recognize when the soldering iron is connected. Iron ID shows: 0 0
I will check the board for shorts when i have more time during the next days.
Bug82

Postby minkok » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:26 am

Thank you sparkybg for the awesome project. I also met calibration problem and replacing the two
resistors R57 and R59 in my case with bigger value 1.8k solve the problem by increasing the temperature by 25 C, by the way , I needed only 5 to 10 C.
Answering to the ccb about OLED board connection, I attach a pic of my Uni Solder, not finally finished, but fully functional, I am waiting 1.3 inch OLED to arrive and I am using JBC T245A. I really can claim that Uni Solder is my favorite solder station.
Attachments
my unisolder.jpg
minkok

Postby Blackfinger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:16 pm

Hi all,

If I like to install a rotary switch with 3 or 4 pos. how many pol. schould it then have.

My ide is to have 3 solder handel connected to the Unisolder unit, and then switch
between them.

The 3 solder handel I like to switch between schould be JBC C245, JBC C210 and JBC NT-105.

Could this 4 pol. rotary switch handel the job, or should it be a 6 pol. ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-4pole-4step ... 0926193199

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4P3T-Single-Dec ... SwpLNX-E~R

How many amp. schould the contakt be able to handle ?
Blackfinger

Postby afedorov » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Connection of NT-105 is unknown for me yet.
If take into account only the first two of tools, for a fixed configuration, triple pole switch is sufficient: Vout-, Vout+ and SENSEA.
Vout-, Vout+ must sustain 6A continuous load. You could add some more poles and parallel them.
Not quite sure how the firmware would handle such a quick tool interconnection, especially if going from one end of switch to another.
Maybe it's better to implement an additional circuit with relay/fet switching and delayed direct tool selection.
As Sparky stated several times, the best way is to build separate controller for each tool.
afedorov

Postby Blackfinger » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:34 pm

afedorov wrote:Connection of NT-105 is unknown for me yet.
If take into account only the first two of tools, for a fixed configuration, triple pole switch is sufficient: Vout-, Vout+ and SENSEA.
Vout-, Vout+ must sustain 6A continuous load. You could add some more poles and parallel them.
Not quite sure how the firmware would handle such a quick tool interconnection, especially if going from one end of switch to another.
Maybe it's better to implement an additional circuit with relay/fet switching and delayed direct tool selection.
As Sparky stated several times, the best way is to build separate controller for each tool.

Thanks for your comment and your replay.

If it switch schould be able to handel up to 6A continuous, then a relay with delay may be a better solution.

Or best of all separate controllers.
Blackfinger

Postby minkok » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Reply to Blackfinger about handle extension ports.
Yes it is possible, but you have to do it yourself and bear all negative consequences that could be happened. I can give you just an idea. You can follow afedorov advice and separate one extra pole for MCLR reset or go direct trough power cycle using the same switch. Bear in mind, that if you want fast response from the handles, you have to preheat them to 180 C using some current limiter.
minkok

Postby sparkybg » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 am

minkok wrote:Bear in mind, that if you want fast response from the handles, you have to preheat them to 180 C using some current limiter.

T245 need around 6-7 seconds to head up to 350 degrees Celsius. T210 needs around 4 seconds. I suspect NT105 will heat up even quicker, but I am yet to try it.

Absolute minimum is 4 pole - Vout1+, Vout1-, SenseA and SenseB. But you will have to switch the also the ID, so ID and Vout2- are also needed.

The firmware is not made for quick tool exchange. It needs at least 2 mains periods in order to detect that the instrument is disconnected, and after that in starts checking if another instrument is plugged in.

...and remember that you are measuring microvolts, and contacts of the switch/relay are with different metals, so it is quite possible for them to also become thermocouples. Small voltage drops here and there can also have impact on controller's accuracy and function.
sparkybg

Postby cbi7333 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 am

Received my kit from the RU Ebay vendor today (pm if you want the link) and thought I'd do a couple unboxing pics in case someone else is considering ordering there. It departed RU quickly but spent some time getting to Italy and through customs etc.. about a month travel in all but this gave me time to find a case, transformer, jbc panel plugs and other accessories aside from cleaning up the workbench so no big problem. Was convenient not to have to spend hours searching / ordering everything, then worry if I ordered the 'right one' of this and that. Price quite reasonable. You might note a few extra components. I asked for a few extra passives and threw in some extra beer money rather than search for hours for those that rapidly escape the grasp of the tweezers.. So... perfect Friday delivery timing and the fun can begin this weekend :) If the person who sent the kit is hanging around here feel free to ping me - and a big Thanks!!

Unisolder shipment.jpg
IMG_0586 (1).jpg

IMG_0587.jpg
IMG_0588.jpg

Edit: The person in RU who was selling kits won't be offering them for the foreseeable future. He has other work commitments that are taking all his time. I asked him to let me know if he starts selling them again.
Last edited by cbi7333 on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbi7333

PreviousNext

Return to Project logs