Soldering

Get help, exchange designs for programmable logic chip dev-boards. XC9500XL and CoolRunner-II development boards available for $15.

Soldering

Postby oziphantom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:18 am

Hi

I'm having trouble soldering to the Board.

Normally when I solder the solder sticks to the pad and the pin. But on this board the solder seems to hate the pad and would rather stick to the soldering iron. I put the iron on, add solder, pull iron away and all the solder goes with the iron and leaves the pad mostly bare.

What am I doing wrong?
oziphantom

Re: Soldering

Postby tayken » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:14 am

Flux. Use lots of flux.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby oziphantom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:39 am

10% core is not enough? I need to get the liqud flux and spray it on this board first?
oziphantom

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:03 am

What solder are you using? Do you use flux?

On youtube there are lots of soldering tutorials that will guide you.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby tayken » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:32 am

oziphantom wrote:10% core is not enough? I need to get the liqud flux and spray it on this board first?

Not enough. You may be able to get away with it for through hole soldering but for SMD work, you definitely need flux. You don't spray the whole board, I have bottles with brush caps so I just cover the pads with some before soldering. Or there are "pens" you can use. You'll have to clean the board afterwards (depending on the type of flux, my favorite leaves a sticky residue) so some IPA is nice to have.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby oziphantom » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:52 am

The board is through hole. I'm talking about the holes on the edge of the board that you put pins throught. Not the SMD adding a crystal, sorry I wasn't clear.

The solder is 60/30/10.

I should also point out that I have had no trouble soldering other through hole breadboards but they are old tech, I thought maybe there was some new thing you had to use these days seeing as the electronics world has gone Lead Free.
oziphantom

Postby tayken » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 pm

The board may be a bit old and the pad a little oxidized. Or the pad is not heating up enough. Tin you tip with a little solder and hold it on the pad for a while. You'll observe the solder suddenly flowing onto the pad when it's heated up enough, then you can add more solder for a nice joint.
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby oziphantom » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:41 am

Holding the solder iron on the pad for a bit first did the trick. Nice and neat solder now. Thanks for you help.
oziphantom

Postby HeadAche » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Just solved the same issue, thanks for your advice.
HeadAche

Return to CPLD programmable logic