BP4 USB "CDC Test" missing firmware

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

BP4 USB "CDC Test" missing firmware

Postby dgarciacampos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:38 am

Hi,
I bought the BPv4 a year ago and did not have time to use it until these past few days.

Initially, i had a lot of problems using it because I couldn't get BP hardware to talk my machine.

So after spending a lot time reading and trying to figure out what was going wrong, I noticed the when the BP was connected on the USB it was being recognized as "CDC Test". Because my machine (imac/virtual box) was seeing the bus pirate, BP for short, as "CDC Test", I had read in another blog that BP had not had its firmware installed. So I decided to install it.

I cloned the repo and compiled pirate loader and then installed the combined hex fw7.0:

After a lot of tries i was able to successfully upload the combined hex (without using the pickit2; I short-circuited PGC&PGD)
./pirate-loader --dev=/dev/ttyACM0 --hex=/home/osboxes/Downloads/firmware/package_latest_18092016/BPv4/combined/bpv4_boot4.10_fw7.0_opt3_18092016.hex

HiZ>i
Bus Pirate v4
Community Firmware v7.0 - goo.gl/gCzQnW [HiZ 1-WIRE UART I2C SPI 2WIRE 3WIRE KEYB LCD PIC DIO]
DEVID:0x1019 REVID:0x0004 (24FJ256GB106 UNK)
http://dangerousprototypes.com

Can someone explain what am i missing by not using the pickit2 approach i.e. Bus Pirate v4 and Pickit2?
Using the pirate loader, both bootloader and firmware were updated. Is there anything else?

Please let me know if you need more info.
BR David
dgarciacampos

Return to Bus Pirate Support