Buspirate 3.6 alive?

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

Re: Buspirate 3.6 alive?

Postby KevinHai » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 am

Hi
We have reveived the return Bus pirate V3.6 from Brian, the product is no problem when we received it.
It could pass all test, it is a driver problem. Thanks Pieter's hard work for all of us.

Thanks
Kevin
KevinHai

Postby kamcm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:52 am

Pieter wrote:You might like to check this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6052&p=55828#p55827
It was a driver problem.. Hope this helps for you all too..

This is not a driver problem, the counterfeit FTDI chips is the main reason.

THE NEW DRIVER is a means to fight with counterfeit IC.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=173676

-----------
More case
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=181434.0
http://club.dx.com/forums/forums.dx/threadid.1314582
kamcm

Postby Samual » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:53 am

Why is Seeed using counterfeit chips ?
Samual

Postby kamcm » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am

Samual wrote:Why is Seeed using counterfeit chips ?

The counterfeit chips are much cheaper.

Bus pirate made by pirate chips. It's cool, isn't it?
kamcm

Postby Samual » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:19 am

kamcm wrote:

Its better we buy from sandbox electronics they sell it at a cheaper price.
Samual

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:38 pm

I don't think they know they are using them (well at least at production time) and I don't think they did it on purpose to save a few cents/dimes per unit sold.

My guess there went something wrong in the supply chain and they bought a batch of bad (rejects) or counterfeit products. I been a couple of times into shenzhen and it is terrible hard to distinguish between genuine and fake parts (and all the variations in between). The price of the part doesnt always tell the difference. Seeed (and I think most manufacturers) have a selected trusted sources for their parts, but sometimes it slips through.

Samual wrote:
kamcm wrote:

Its better we buy from sandbox electronics they sell it at a cheaper price.

That one is not a real buspirate (it has some changes to the v3.6 design) and is using a pl2103 and that one has also counterfeit-trouble. From my personal experience the (real) ftdi works better then the pl2103; after several insertation you need to reboot because of a frozen driver.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby Pieter » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:22 am

Sjaak wrote:

I don't think they know they are using them (well at least at production time) and I don't think they did it on purpose to save a few cents/dimes per unit sold.

My guess there went something wrong in the supply chain and they bought a batch of bad (rejects) or counterfeit products. I been a couple of times into shenzhen and it is terrible hard to distinguish between genuine and fake parts (and all the variations in between). The price of the part doesnt always tell the difference. Seeed (and I think most manufacturers) have a selected trusted sources for their parts, but sometimes it slips through.

For me the question is more: Should I ask for a return of the device (counting in the fact that it may cost me as much to return the device as to buy a new one ;-) and the weeks that past while the litte bugger is traveling by mail) or just move along with this Bus Pirate and the older driver.
Have not asked Seeed yet (or looked into into it) how they handle the postage.
So far Seeed and you folks here where very helpful!
Pieter

Postby KevinHai » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:23 pm

Sjaak wrote:counterfeit

Hi All:
We will provide the guarantee policy for clients before we get the analysis result, you can apply for the replacement from "QC@seeedstudio.com" now if you met similar communication problem.
Our QE and EE are analyzing the problem with supplier and authenticate lab center, we will updat the final result once we get it.

Thanks
Kevin
KevinHai

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:02 am

since the buspirate is by far the most popular DP product, SEEED will usualy replace without requiring the defective units to be sent back.

there was a recent discovery, that the newest drivers from ftdi had problems with windows 8. look here for more regarding this issue http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6052&p=55828#p55827

I am willing to troubleshoot any defective unit, to help fix manufacturing or design issues, etc.. but please check for known issues first if your able to.
sqkybeaver

Postby KevinHai » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:48 am

sqkybeaver wrote:since the buspirate is by far the most popular DP product, SEEED will usualy replace without requiring the defective units to be sent back.

there was a recent discovery, that the newest drivers from ftdi had problems with windows 8. look here for more regarding this issue http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6052&p=55828#p55827

I am willing to troubleshoot any defective unit, to help fix manufacturing or design issues, etc.. but please check for known issues first if your able to.

Thanks for your reply about troubleshooting defective unit.
We have received some defective boards from some clients, and we have rest of these batch board on our warehouse, they met the same problem. we didn't require all the clients to send the unit back because we are sloving the problem, but we don't want to waste client's time, providing replacement is a better way and service.
KevinHai

Postby Pieter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:57 am

KevinHai wrote:We have received some defective boards from some clients, and we have rest of these batch board on our warehouse, they met the same problem. we didn't require all the clients to send the unit back because we are sloving the problem, but we don't want to waste client's time, providing replacement is a better way and service.

Hi Kevin,
Have send you another follow up email about the drivers and the BP.
Thank you for the service!
Pieter

Postby KevinHai » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:01 am

Pieter wrote:
KevinHai wrote:We have received some defective boards from some clients, and we have rest of these batch board on our warehouse, they met the same problem. we didn't require all the clients to send the unit back because we are sloving the problem, but we don't want to waste client's time, providing replacement is a better way and service.

Hi Kevin,
Have send you another follow up email about the drivers and the BP.
Thank you for the service!

Yes, I see. I have replied you just now.
KevinHai

Postby devicenull » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:14 pm

In case anyone was curious, seeed shipped me a replacement (presumably without a counterfeit chip), and it works perfectly.
devicenull

Postby VolDel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:27 am

Hi all!
Received my BP this week via a german Distributor.
I exactly faced the same issue as described above by all the others.
Unfortunately the hint with the replacement of the FTDI Driver does not work in my case!
I need to return the device and ask for another one.
Regards
VolDel

Postby kamcm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm

genuine FT232RL, 4 number + country of origin at the back of the IC

Counterfeit FT232RL, CHINA marking at the back of the IC, marking is not clear
kamcm

PreviousNext

Return to Bus Pirate Support