Buspirate v3 VS v4

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby ian » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:25 am

You can change PPS on the fly, no problem. No reset needed. I never wanted to do a USB on-chip version, but tons of people pushed for it and I was stupid enough to follow the crowd instead of being the dictator of my project.

Its more these problems with v4 (all suck vs suck):
1. USB stack unstable, unmaintained open version vs closed unworkable undistributable microchip version
2. Speed sensitive things (SPI/I2C sniffing) take a huge hit on v4 due to USB overhead and lots of support questions about these
3. Development with active USB is a PITA, impossible to single step problems with any reliability
4. The extra flash in the PIC is (as i recall) not that easy to work with. You start to need stupid compiler tricks and stuff to address the top of it

We have a v5 with an ARM chip, but its so much more expensive - and - once we get enough flash to be useful, super more expensive (plus no PPS) :)

Currently, we are done with a redesign of the v3 using the cheaper, smaller FTDI x chip. It fits in a 5x5, and we're making a milled aluminum case for it. Slick, anodized black square with 1x10 pinout and laser etched labels on the pins.

I do like your idea of using a cheaper PIC instead of USB and making a parallel interface, that might get us somewhere, especially with a bigger, cheaper arm sans USB.
User avatar
ian
Crew
Crew
 
Posts: 10803
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby arhi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:55 am

yup, usb on mcp sucks big time :( .. didn't know you managed to solve the pps restart issues .. cool
arm is too expensive unless you go cm0 with some prc manufacturer but then you have to purchase gzilion chips and support is zero so really not sure if that's the way to go ..

as for the usb part, mcp is shooting their usb2serial that's 18f something .. you can get usb capable pic for peanuts, way cheaper then ftdi and since you control firmware (even if you go with semiclosed mcp usb lib) you can get waaaaaaaaay more out of it then from ftdi ... I'd go with parallel communication, 8bit or 4bit depends on the chips .. for e.g. PIC16F1454 is ~1$, has USB and enough pins .. even if you go with SPI it can do 12MHz SPI!!! that's 1.4 megabytes per second (11mbps so basically just as fast as usb)!!! I doubt you need faster then that :D .. and for 1$ :) it's imo way better then any ftdi .. on the business side of the device .. well, that you have more experience for bus pirate then I do .. depends on what you want to achieve .. I'd personally go with XMOS just for kicks of it, it's great and interesting chip :D .. I would not go with arm .. I'd go either with XMOS + external flash or some pic with enough flash to put a lot of code in I can call from scripts.. it's really all about how you want to improve on 3b and what additional features you want .. XMOS is faster and more versatile then most of chips you can put there... it's on the other hand not nearly as easy to use as pic
User avatar
arhi
Hero Member
Hero Member
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Belgrade, Serbia

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby Sjaak » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am

I did play with the 16f1454 recently and it is a great bang for buck. There is a great bootloader for it: https://code.google.com/p/pic16f1454-bootloader/
User avatar
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow
 
Posts: 3288
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:45 pm
Location: Hiero

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby s7726 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 am

ian wrote:Currently, we are done with a redesign of the v3 using the cheaper, smaller FTDI x chip. It fits in a 5x5, and we're making a milled aluminum case for it. Slick, anodized black square with 1x10 pinout and laser etched labels on the pins.


Any idea when these might be available?
User avatar
s7726
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby Coldblackice » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:07 pm

s7726 wrote:
ian wrote:Currently, we are done with a redesign of the v3 using the cheaper, smaller FTDI x chip. It fits in a 5x5, and we're making a milled aluminum case for it. Slick, anodized black square with 1x10 pinout and laser etched labels on the pins.


Any idea when these might be available?


Wondering the same.
User avatar
Coldblackice
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:05 am

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby alank2 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:36 am

So is the v4 a dead project at this point? It is the only BP I have and it works fine for most things I've tried on it. What does not work on it/is there a bug list for it? Sometimes I'm tempted to get a v3 BP just so I've got the more stable version to work with...
alank2
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby dsummerbell10 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:26 pm

I was wondering the same thing as well if I should hold off or not. Thanks for the advice.
dsummerbell10
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 pm

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby mikeb » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:13 am

alank2 wrote:So is the v4 a dead project at this point? It is the only BP I have and it works fine for most things I've tried on it. What does not work on it/is there a bug list for it? Sometimes I'm tempted to get a v3 BP just so I've got the more stable version to work with...

dsummerbell10 wrote:I was wondering the same thing as well if I should hold off or not. Thanks for the advice.

No, it is not dead anymore! There is a new community project to make a good working stable firmware for BP v4
Firmware v7.0 is already available! ;) Please look - http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8498
mikeb
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:50 am

Previous

Return to Bus Pirate Support