Buspirate v3 VS v4

Hacking multi-tool. Get one for $30, including worldwide shipping.

Re: Buspirate v3 VS v4

Postby zeptonow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:02 am

Hello
i am new too, or at least i think i will be.
ian wrote:I would wait. There's still lots of little things about v4 that can make you miserable.

What for example?
Are there going to be hardware changes, or just firmware issues?
If there are no hardware changes planned, why not purchase v4?
I assume you can help fixing bugs in v4 firmware without additional hardware (besides a computer), if you run into any problems, right?

bye

PS: The development bus pirate v4 kit at seeedstudio is assembled, right? I am not particularly good at soldering smd with my big shaking hands...
zeptonow

Postby arakis » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:10 am

So far we haven't run into any hardware issues,the HW is fairly simple, and not much that can go wrong there, the plan is not to change the hardware much, we might change the PCB size etc...but the schematic or IO header pinout are not planed to be changed. If you'd like to play with it and try and help us develop it further, then defiantly go for the v4. there are still functions that have bugs in them, and some are not implemented yet side, but that's only the firmware.
IF you need the Bus Pirate as a reliable tool then go for the V3.

Yes the one that is on sale from Seeed is a fully assembled version..
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby zeptonow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:18 am

thank you!
arakis wrote:IF you need the Bus Pirate as a reliable tool then go for the V3.

i definitely dont. Just thought it would be nice to play around a bit with controllers, flash roms, ...
arakis wrote:Yes the one that is on sale from Seeed is a fully assembled version..

I think i will try it out then.
bye
zeptonow

Postby MichaelChen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Well, same question as always. I've finally decided to buy a bus pirate, so I am debating between v3 and v4. I know that v3 is still the officially recommended one, but well, v4 is newer.

Anyways, I was wondering if the v4 can program an AVR and a CPLD (via JTAG), as those are the features I see myself using soon. Are these features working in the v4, or should I go for v3.
MichaelChen

Postby ian » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:00 am

Both are not working in v4, best to go with v3
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby cohabo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:56 am

myMaidenPost: • Total members 2116 • Our newest member cohabo

Can't wait for the V4.
Excited about SDR.
cohabo

Postby torwag » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:28 am

To all the V4 waiters...

Seriously, do not wait!

I know all those smartphone and tablet releases is poisoning peoples mind when it comes to release cycles and features releases. However the buspirate is NOT a smartphone or a tablet.

The V3 will always be functional and I assume that all features which will fit in the V3 will make it into the V3 even if V4 is officially out. It might has a few hardware-based features less compared to the V4, however, at the moment it is the stable reference platform, which even the V4 has to measure against.

Ian said it already, it will take the V4 a great amount of time to get close to the V3.

Early buyers might have to fight with bugs on the BP V4 rather then tackle bugs on there projects with the PB V4. Serious, having a buggy project and trying to tackle it with a buggy dev-kit is really frustrating! So stability and well tested performance is something you have to add to the V3 feature list !!!

This is open hardware, V4 is not a "Let's add a few more features and sell it again"-release. Its in many aspects a redesign and hence it will introduce its very own problems. The same problems and time consuming debugging it took the V3 to get as stable and useful as it is today.

And even if you are going to upgrade to the V4 anytime later, and do not see any need for having two buspirates in your toolbox, you can still hook-up the V3 permanently to a project to provide terminal-based low level access to your project.

We are talking here about $27.15 and not $300 or $600 dollars. If you wait a year for a more or less stable V4, you wait to save <$2 a month...

GET A V3 ITS AWESOME !!!
torwag

Postby ian » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks Torwag :)
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Sleepwalker3 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks Torwag, I had been wondering myself whether V4 had got to being reasonably stable yet, so this is a great explanation of why you should still stick with a V3.x I've known about the BP for ages, but only really realised today that it can program AVR's. I had been thinking about perhaps getting a USBtiny, but if a BP can do the same thing, then better to get that :)
Sleepwalker3

Postby ibshadow » Thu May 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Hey guys can you tell me if Buspirate v3 or v4 can clone a DS1963 ibutton? I have some equipment that is no longer supported by the manufacturers that i would like to make a backup copy of.
ibshadow

Postby hftzfhz » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:05 pm

So what is the current status of v3 vs v4? Which device would be recommended for a noob?
hftzfhz

Postby tayken » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:41 am

v3 as it is stable. v4 is still "in development"
tayken
Developer
Developer

Postby Rubi » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 am

I prefer the v4 version but it has a big drawback unfortunately.
The buspirate app does not really work with the v4 version.

Cheers
Rubi
Rubi

Postby ian » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:37 am

I say go with v3. My plan is to make a polished "final" firmware for v3 soon, abandon v4, and then move to an all new v5. I'm frankly sick to death of dealing with USB on PICs.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby arhi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:31 am

so v4 is dead ... as expected, bp uses pps to get needed hw on same output pins and to change pin setup you have to reset, when you reset you kill usb connection ... has nothing to do with usb on pic but with design decision and way pps works ..

v5 will be ftdi again? maybe use some cheaper pic instead of ftdi for usb, then parallel connection to another pic for the work .. you get both fast transfers, full control and ability to use pps they way it works on v3 just with more flash and more speed and greater umpf
arhi

PreviousNext

Return to Bus Pirate Support