IRToy stops working after pc resumes from standby

USB infrared remote control receiver/transmitter. Get one for $20, including worldwide shipping.

IRToy stops working after pc resumes from standby

Postby Hendrik » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi,

I received my IRToy V2 a few days ago, really nice and fun to play with :)
I updated the firmware to the latest version upon receiving and installed the latest driver.

I use WinLIRC and eventghost on Windows 7 x64 to control my IR receiving devices.

The problem I have is that the IRToy driver seems to be stuck somehow after resuming the
pc from standby.
WinLIRC freezes and isn't able to send signals anymore, when I restart WinLIRC it says "WinLIRC failed to initialize".
To get it working again I either have to replug IRToy or disable/enable the COM port associated with IRToy.

I'm not sure if it's a driver problem or a WinLIRC problem? Or is something wrong with my setup?

Any help is appreciated :)
Hendrik

Re: IRToy stops working after pc resumes from standby

Postby ian » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Hendrik,

It could definitely be a problem with the new open source USB stack in our latest firmware. First, please try to downgrade to v11 or v13 of the firmware. That could help. Also, I will talk to the USB stack author and see if there is anything he knows of that we could fix.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Hendrik » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi ian,

thanks for the tip, I flashed firmware v11 and v13 but unfortunately WinLIRC stops working completely with both firmwares.
It freezes when I click the send button, the IRToy LED does not flash when I click Send Code.
Hendrik

Postby dukey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 am

the sending code for the IR Toy changed in one of the new versions to work with the new firmware (and double buffered sending). You might have luck if you try an older winlirc with an older firmware.

I am not even sure my PC suspends so can't really test it.
dukey

Postby Doug » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:48 am

I also experience this. It wasn't a big deal for me as I just prevented my PC from going into standby.

Doug
Doug

Postby ian » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:52 am

Thanks Doug,

Do you know if it was with v15 firmware, or previous firmwares too?
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Doug » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi,
I'm using v21 of the firmware with a v2 IR Toy. Win 7/32 bit. And the latest versions of WinLIRC, EventGhost, and the EG IR Toy plugin.

I never noticed it with previous versions, but I never tried to enable standby with them. I won't be able to try any test of earlier firmwares until the new year.
Doug

Postby mba » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi,

I am having similar problems using the latest firmware v22 and windows xp. Same symptoms winlirc cannot initialize the device after resume from standby and I am unable to open a terminal connection with putty to the device. It need to be unplugged / plugged before working again.

Best regards
Martin
mba

Postby ian » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:16 am

Hi mba, Doug,

It sounds like we are not supporting standby correctly, either in our implementation of the USB stack, or in the USB stack itself. I'm sorry, but I do not know how to fix it at this time. I will continue to hack at it, but it could be quite awhile before there is a fix for this one.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby mba » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:44 pm

Any news on this issue?
I am sorry to say that this makes the ir toy unusable for any real world usage. I was going to use it for my htpc, but it will cost me a fortune having it on 24/7 just to make the ir blaster happy.

Best regards
Martin
mba

Postby Pisami » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:20 pm

Could you just unload & load modules/drivers/etc when resuming from standby? I know it is not a fix, but for now...?
Pisami

Postby ian » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 am

I can offer the older version of firmware based on the Microchip USB stack, but I'm sorry, I have no idea how to add that to the new USB stack.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby mba » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

@asdf that was also my initial idea. I tried "devcon restart" on it, the device was removed and the driver was reinitialized but after a short while the driver failed with an exclamation mark. This makes me guess that its an erroneous state on the USB stack on the device and not a bad state in windows.

@ian: the microchip usb stack was replaced for a reason? Maybe either JTR or Honken could comment on whether the stack is robust against host going into standby? And maybe they had an idea of how to solve this issue?
mba

Postby Doug » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:17 am

Hey, adsf.

Great idea to unload/load the drivers. I'm trialling that right now using EventGhost in one of my media players to detect the standby or resume event and run a batch file and a MediaPortal plugin in another. So far it looks like it's working. Below is the code in my batch file FYI for anyone else that may want to try. (%1 is the suspend or wakeup parameter passed by EventGhost or other trigger)

Doug

if "%1" == "suspend" goto OnSuspend
if "%1" == "wakeup" goto OnWakeUp
goto Done

:OnSuspend
net stop usbser
goto Done

:OnWakeUp
net start usbser
goto Done

:Done
Doug

Postby mba » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 am

net stop usbser gives me
"The requested pause, continue, or stop is not valid for this service."
And I don't think its a problem in windows.

I have experimented a bit and my current conclusion is that the problem only occurs when windows is in standby and IR Toy receives a infrared signal. If it does not receive anything during standby it works afterwards and I can succesfully send ir commands from winlirc.

Maybe my solution is to solder the receiver part off while I am only going to use the transmitter
mba

Next

Return to USB Infrared Toy