Bus Pirate - Community Firmware 7.0

Bus Pirate firmware and hardware development.

Re: Bus Pirate - Community Firmware 7.0

Postby USBEprom » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:25 am

Hi awokd.
Sorry for the very late reply.

awokd wrote:I was using Debian Stretch x64 so had to "apt install lib32z1" and chmod pirate-loader_lnx to executable before it worked

Thank you very, very much for sharing your experience and hint!
Based on what you wrote I have just improved the document "How to update with pirate-loader.rtf" (generic cross-platform instructions for Windows, Linux and Apple users) by adding your information.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
Attachments
How to update with pirate-loader.zip
New furthermore improved version of the document "How to update with pirate-loader.rtf" (generic cross-platform instructions for Windows, Linux and Apple users), many, many thanks to awokd!
(708.21 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
USBEprom

Postby mikeb » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:07 pm

USBEprom wrote:Until now I could not test your just released firmware v7.11 especially in order to evaluate if it does fix the problems while using I2C protocol (https://github.com/BusPirate/Bus_Pirate/issues/23 , https://github.com/BusPirate/Bus_Pirate/issues/18),problems that Bus Pirate v4 also has.
I would like to have the merged repository that you have created to get your new firmware v7.11 cause I suspect the ones you provided here in the forum have not all the features enabled and it would be useful for me to be able to evaluate the size of the firmware when compiled to have all the options enabled and 256 characters for the command line.
I hope that as soon as possible someone will merge the things in order to provide an improved repository directly on github.com

After reviewing a pull request (https://github.com/BusPirate/Bus_Pirate/pull/93) I have just cloned this forked repository - https://github.com/ChristopherSamSoon/Bus_Pirate and changed the version numbers of firmware/bootloader. Although he also changed README, so I took "README" from a primary https://github.com/BusPirate/Bus_Pirate repository. Compared to the primary repository, ChristopherSamSoon is behind by 2 commits - but these commits are not affecting a code, so my bootloader/firmware builds are still the latest and "fresh"

To see what features my BPv3 firmware build has, you could just look at this configuration.h file of forked repository - https://github.com/ChristopherSamSoon/B ... guration.h - and search it for things like " BUSPIRATEV3 ". I have not modified this "default configuration"

Please tell me if this "default configuration" is OK, or its missing some features that your version configuration.h is providing

Luckily agatti is back, so maybe he will merge this pull request to the official branch

See you,
mikeb
mikeb

Postby MrAureliusR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:27 am

Not sure how useful this will be, but I just flashed the latest firmware build on the linked post, with the 12062018 build, and everything seems fine on my bpv3:

Code: Select all
HiZ>#
RESET

Bus Pirate v3.5
Community Firmware v7.11- goo.gl/gCzQnW [HiZ 1-WIRE UART I2C SPI 2WIRE 3WIRE PIC DIO] Bootloader v4.4
DEVID:0x0447 REVID:0x3046 (24FJ64GA00 2 B8)
http://dangerousprototypes.com
HiZ>~
Disconnect any devices
Connect (Vpu to +5V) and (ADC to +3.3V)
Space to continue
Ctrl
AUX OK
MODE LED OK
PULLUP H OK
PULLUP L OK
VREG OK
ADC and supply
5V(4.98) OK
VPU(4.94) OK
3.3V(3.33) OK
ADC(3.34) OK
Bus high
MOSI OK
CLK OK
MISO OK
CS OK
Bus Hi-Z 0
MOSI OK
CLK OK
MISO OK
CS OK
Bus Hi-Z 1
MOSI OK
CLK OK
MISO OK
CS OK
MODE and VREG LEDs should be on!
Any key to exit
Found 0 errors.
HiZ>

I also want to give a HUGE HUGE THANKS to the people working on this. I have been very disappointed that DP abandoned what is likely their most popular project... always frustrated me that the scripting engine never worked. Instead of having to whip up a microcontroller board and write code to test a new sensor, I could have just used my BP with scripting.

So, so glad to see the community picking up the slack. No disrespect to DP -- I love Ian and DP, I have their stickers all over my lab notebooks, and I recommend the Bus Pirate all the time. I have an IR Toy and I definitely want to check out the Bus Blaster.

Do the community devs have a PayPal or other donation link? Cheers.
MrAureliusR

Postby MrAureliusR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:43 am

Just noticed entering anything into the script engine seems to reboot the BP:

Code: Select all
HiZ(BASIC)>010 PRINT "HELLO"

Bus Pirate v3.5
Community Firmware v7.11- goo.gl/gCzQnW [HiZ 1-WIRE UART I2C SPI 2WIRE 3WIRE PIC DIO] Bootloader v4.4
DEVID:0x0447 REVID:0x3046 (24FJ64GA00 2 B8)
http://dangerousprototypes.com
HiZ>
MrAureliusR

Postby mikeb » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:49 am

MrAureliusR wrote:Just noticed entering anything into the script engine seems to reboot the BP
Please try to collect as much info about this problem as you could, and raise a new issue at devs' Github repository - https://github.com/BusPirate/Bus_Pirate - with a full description of your technical problem. You could also ask them how to donate, maybe not by money but by ordering some parts to their domestic address (ask them what they would prefer). A donation might significantly increase the priority of your requests
mikeb

Postby marsfan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been out of the loop on the bus pirate for some time now (about a year). Looking over this thread, I see that someone linked to a change log saying what was changed with bus pirate v7.1, suggesting that there has been an official community release of v7.1, but I cannot find a link to a main release/hex file for the 7.1 version, could someone point me to this.

In addition, I am starting to learn C, so I might be able to help out with actually testing and development, so I will start exploring the repository and seeing what I can help with.
marsfan

Postby USBEprom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:04 am

mikeb wrote: Please tell me if this "default configuration" is OK, or its missing some features that your version configuration.h is providing

Hi mikeb.
Sorry for the late reply!
All the changes into the configuration.h file I make to get the firmwares I share are clearly described in related posts.
It is sufficient to make the changes reported to obtain a result equal to mine without the need to change anything or to intervene elsewhere.
Sometimes, in the provided by me archive, already is the configuration.h file I used to get the firmware.
Compared to yours, my configuration.h is very different, also because I always want 256 characters for the command line and enable all features (except those deprecated, for instance SMPS_SUPPORT for the management of the abandoned SMPS_BOARD) and lately I provide a UNSAFE version too with active the I2C hardware option.
As an example, please look here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8498&start=90#p67351

So said, yes your firmware version is missing some features compared to mine.
I will try to build myself a new firmware by merging the necessary changes into the current repository.
Thank you for your support.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
USBEprom

Postby USBEprom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 am

marsfan wrote: Looking over this thread, I see that someone linked to a change log saying what was changed with bus pirate v7.1, suggesting that there has been an official community release of v7.1, but I cannot find a link to a main release/hex file for the 7.1 version, could someone point me to this.

Hi marsfan.
For what I know normally it is only provided a repository with whose content the user can build the firmware on his own, the hexadecimal ready to use is rarely provided.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
USBEprom

Postby marsfan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Hey USBEprom,

So as long as I build from source with the slight tweaks you make in your "safe" builds, it can be considered a stable/release build?

Also, is there a page that documents configuration.h. I might have an idea I can help out with on the repo side to make the hex generation process more streamlined for people without a lot of experience doing this.
marsfan

Postby USBEprom » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:26 pm

marsfan wrote:So as long as I build from source with the slight tweaks you make in your "safe" builds, it can be considered a stable/release build?

Hi marsfan.
I am certainly not the right person to give an answer, however for me yes, it is, it can be considered a stable release built.
As far as I am concerned, within the limits of my skills and knowledge, all the firmwares that I share are tested and functioning by myself and a friend of mine of whom I have already written in the past.
Despite all, it is always possible that them hide bugs that I can not identify, also because, as it is easy to guess, as much as I can try I can not verify all the possible scenarios.
When I find problems I make it known to everyone, though.

marsfan wrote:is there a page that documents configuration.h

In my opinion configuration.h is quite explanatory by itself.
I do not know if somewhere it is explained in depth, it could also be, however I unfortunately can not add anything.
Usually when I have any doubts I ask for information directly on github.

Today I tried to build my v7.11 version of the firmware starting from the current repository by changing bitbang.c, bitbang.h and i2c.c with the same ones extrapolated from the Christopher Sam Soon repository (https://github.com/ChristopherSamSoon/Bus_Pirate), but no joy.
I could not compile anything due to errors in MPLAB as in attachment.
Evidently the thing is not as simple as I had believed it.
Maybe next time.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
Attachments
ERRORS.txt
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
USBEprom

Postby marsfan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:00 pm

Cool. I am thinking about looking into creating a build script that will allow for automatic hex file compiling for the github library when new commits are added, but I will need to skim through how to use MPLAB first, as I have not worked with PICs before.
marsfan

Previous

Return to Bus Pirate Development