Problem with my new logic sniffer

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

Problem with my new logic sniffer

Postby vinko1990 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:20 pm

Dear all, my father bought for me a new Open Bench Logic Sniffer v1.04. I'm not luky at all since i cannot make it work on any of my computer. I'm gonna post my problem and i hope to find a solution:

The client that i'm using is the version ols-0.9.7 SP2 (windows and OSX) downloaded from lxtreme.nl

1) Desktop with Windows 10 -> Impossible to install the driver downloaded from gadgetfactory, So unable to use the device on my desktop. Is there an update version of driver for windows 10?
2) Second test, Macbook pro with last version of El Capitan -> i can see the device connected and the tty port, but when i open the client and i try to click on the button "Show device metadata" it say no device connected !null
3)Third test, Laptop of my brother with Windows 7 32bit -> After installing the driver 32bit with success, the device name its still Comunication Port COM5. Then when i open the client and i try the "Show device metadata" it's the same problem.

When i connect the board with the usb cable the led status are:
TRIG on
ARM off
ACT off
PWR on.

Then i've tryed to use the update script, the bin for the fpga it's written ok, but the part of the pic faild, it say that it's not possible to read/write the i2c flash.
Could someone tell me with version of binary i need for the fpga and pic with the version 1.04 of my board, and help me to make my logic analyzer work? I can use the laptop of my brother to flash everything but i would like to use the device on my desktop or macbook since i need it for the school :(
Thanks in advance!
vinko1990

Re: Problem with my new logic sniffer

Postby jawi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:53 am

Did you already try to upgrade the firmware of your device to the latest one? The OBLS are shipped with rather old firmwares out of the factory, IIRC...
jawi
Developer
Developer

Postby vinko1990 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:14 am

Yes i tried but the script cannot write in the memory of the PIC. But actually what is the last release for the FPGA and the PIC binary?
vinko1990

Postby jawi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:36 am

jawi
Developer
Developer

Postby vinko1990 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:09 am

The last version of the binary i guess it's:
PIC firmware v3.0
FPGA bitstream v3.07
Both called Daemon version?

And regarding the driver for windows 10 or OS X el captain?
vinko1990

Postby jawi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:20 am

The device is using the CDC profile, so as far as I know, no additional drivers for OSX or Win10 are needed...
jawi
Developer
Developer

Postby vinko1990 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:23 am

Thank you very much jawi for your support, i will try to flash fpga and pic again with the tool that you have suggest me!!
vinko1990

Postby vinko1990 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:27 pm

It sems that i made it work. With the tools posted in the link i cannot write the PIC firmware, so what i did is: With the tool i re-programmed the fpga bin selecting the logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit, then with a PicKit2 programmer i programmed the PIC with the file OLSv1.04-firmware-v2.3.hex (the file OLSv1.firmware.v3.0.hex doesn't work, the ide of pickit2 it say that there's no configuration settings).

Then i selected the speed 921600 for the COM and when i press capture i can see something. To test if it works i made a simple sketch with arduino to just turn on and off a led:

setup(){
pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
Serial.begin(9600);
}

loop(){
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
Serial.write("Led high");
delay(2000);
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
Serial.write("Led low");
delay(2000);
}

Now if i start the capture i can see just one line that go up or down. I don't see the full signal. The teacher in school ask me to make something like that for the assignment, ch0 led and ch1 the tx pin of arduino for the serial message:

Is it possible with this logic analyzer to see something like that? (and for me to check if everything works)
vinko1990

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer