problems with upgrade

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

problems with upgrade

Postby hyOzd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

I have an OLS purchased from seeedstudio. PCB version is 1.04. I don't know what version of firmware it does have. Metadata section in OLS client doesn't work. So I thought I would just upgrade it in any case. I tried using https://github.com/robots/ols-fwloader tool. But I'm getting this error:

Code: Select all
>> sudo ols_fwloader -f BOOT -n -P /dev/ttyACM0 -W -w OLSv1.firmware.v3.0.hex
Found OLS HW: 72, FW: 70.2, Boot: 66
Error - unknown flash type (02 ef 30 13)
Is OLS in update mode ??
Unable to read Flash ID
Unable to open OLS

I don't think version numbers are correct :)

I also tried a windows upgrade tool, olswinloader on VM. It didn't work either.

At this point of writing this post; I remembered someone saying something about shorting the PGC-PGD pins and reset. I don't remember what for. I thought I should try that as well. I did. This time, OLS started as a HID device. And I was able to upgrade the firmware and FPGA image using olswinloader.

Now metadata works and it shows this;
Device type Open Logic Sniffer v1.01
Firmware 3.07
Protocol 2

Well, that looks like a downgrade :S But is it?

At least it seems to solve my problems with pulseview, the reason I get into this in the first place was this bug http sigrok org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=611 .
hyOzd

Re: problems with upgrade

Postby sre71 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi hyOzd,

Device type Open Logic Sniffer v1.01
Firmware 3.07
Protocol 2

that doesn't mean downgrade, they are the latest available releases.
Please take note that v1.04 hardware compared to previous v1.01 only consist on a minor update with a few changes for better production and easier sourcing.
I guess it isn't recognized from firmware only.
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Ope ... list#v1.04
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Ope ... list#v1.01

Regards,
sre71
sre71

Postby hyOzd » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:13 pm

That's a relief. Thanks for response : )
hyOzd

Postby nickandrew » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:59 am

Hi hyOzd,

The error
unknown flash type (02 ef 30 13)
is caused by a synchronisation error reading the response from the OLS. The "ef 30 13" are the correct first 3 bytes of the flash id.

I have submitted a patch to ols-fwloader which solves this synchronisation error as it initialises the device.

You should also make sure ModemManager isn't trying to access your device each time you reset it, with this udev rules file:

# Rules for Openbench Logic Sniffers. Creates a nice link to the ols
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04d8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="fc92", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OpenBenchLogicSniffer", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Shorting the PGC-PGD pins then pressing RESET puts the OLS into bootloader mode. Bootloader mode is required to read or write the PIC firmware.

Holding down UPDATE while pressing RESET puts the OLS into FPGA update mode; ols-fwloader can move the device from update mode to bootloader mode with the "-n" option.
nickandrew

Postby hyOzd » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:20 pm

Nick, thanks for the info : )
hyOzd

Postby gaguilar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:53 am

nickandrew wrote:Hi hyOzd,

The error
unknown flash type (02 ef 30 13)
is caused by a synchronisation error reading the response from the OLS. The "ef 30 13" are the correct first 3 bytes of the flash id.

I have submitted a patch to ols-fwloader which solves this synchronisation error as it initialises the device.

You should also make sure ModemManager isn't trying to access your device each time you reset it, with this udev rules file:

# Rules for Openbench Logic Sniffers. Creates a nice link to the ols
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04d8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="fc92", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="OpenBenchLogicSniffer", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Shorting the PGC-PGD pins then pressing RESET puts the OLS into bootloader mode. Bootloader mode is required to read or write the PIC firmware.

Holding down UPDATE while pressing RESET puts the OLS into FPGA update mode; ols-fwloader can move the device from update mode to bootloader mode with the "-n" option.

I was having write error all the time and thought the chip was broken. But this did the trick. I was able to update it and now is working!!! Finally!!! Truly scared until this post...

Thank you.
gaguilar

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer