O(B)LS is abandoned?

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

O(B)LS is abandoned?

Postby cutterline » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for a logic analyzer since I'm looking for saleae clone replacement or an upgrade. (Yes, I'm feeling guilty about it, although I can use sigrok for that matter)

I was searching info and found Open bench Logic Sniffer (OLS) is what I'm looking for but with known RLE bug with sigrok which is kinda a bummer as I'm getting familiar with sigrok.
Somehow I stumbled upon an article (I can't put any url link as I'm a new user, you can search with an article from sigrok website with the title "A newer, better Openbench Logic Sniffer") stating that this project is abandoned so new features won't be added.
Is it true?
It's not like I'm going to buy the pipistrello as unfortunately I don't have that much of a budget. I'm looking for more info before doing a purchase.

Thanks before.
cutterline

Re: O(B)LS is abandoned?

Postby Qwlciguk » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:46 am

cutterline wrote:Hi there,

I'm looking for a logic analyzer since I'm looking for saleae clone replacement or an upgrade. (Yes, I'm feeling guilty about it, although I can use sigrok for that matter)

I was searching info and found Open bench Logic Sniffer (OLS) is what I'm looking for but with known RLE bug with sigrok which is kinda a bummer as I'm getting familiar with sigrok.
Somehow I stumbled upon an article (I can't put any url link as I'm a new user, you can search with an article from sigrok website with the title "A newer, better Openbench Logic Sniffer") stating that this project is abandoned so new features won't be added.
Is it true?
It's not like I'm going to buy the pipistrello as unfortunately I don't have that much of a budget. I'm looking for more info before doing a purchase.

Thanks before.

I don't know as I'd call it abandoned. Maybe "mature" or "stable" would be a better description. You can still purchase it from Seed Studio. The client software is occasionally updated.

I'm not sure what the "newer better Openbench Logic Sniffer" refers to. There was someone that used the core OBLS and added external dram storage. Even got the client program modified to use some high speed transfer mode. As I recall, it was based on Pipistrello. Bit pricey, but may be worth it if you need the trace length.
Qwlciguk

Postby cutterline » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Qwlciguk wrote:
I don't know as I'd call it abandoned. Maybe "mature" or "stable" would be a better description. You can still purchase it from Seed Studio. The client software is occasionally updated.

I'm not sure what the "newer better Openbench Logic Sniffer" refers to. There was someone that used the core OBLS and added external dram storage. Even got the client program modified to use some high speed transfer mode. As I recall, it was based on Pipistrello. Bit pricey, but may be worth it if you need the trace length.

Yes, it is the Saanlima pipistrello. ~3x of OLS price and maybe around ~4-5x importing it to my place, not really a viable option for me and most probably I'll never use it to the maximum.

Thanks for the explanation, I'll sniff around some more for more options.
cutterline

Postby nickandrew » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:23 am

The github repository GadgetFactory/OpenBench-Logic-Sniffer hasn't been updated in 4+ years and is broken in respect of upgrading the firmware on Linux platforms.

However, the FPGA firmware in that repository is the latest and so is the PIC firmware, and both of those work well.

The ols-fwloader tool can be used to upgrade firmware under linux, given the files from the former repository.

The java OLS client application is still being updated (now 0.9.7.2)

So yes, the device is mature and everything works, although not out of the box. Some fiddling is required and a lot of the instructions floating around the Internet are now obsolete.
nickandrew

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer