1-wire protocol analysis using OLS

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

1-wire protocol analysis using OLS

Postby sunny » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi all,

I was just wondering if i can use the OLS for analysing the 1-wire protocol (as i dont hv bus pirate), i see a menu option in the OLS client s/w. Any manual or docs on how to use as a protocol analyser.

Thanks in advance
sunny

Re: 1-wire protocol analysis using OLS

Postby arhi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:33 pm

yes it can. You grab the channel you want and then you select "Tools/1wire analyzer", select the channel where your 1wire data is and your done. You can see here for e.g. how 0xCC (skip rom) and 0x44 (start temp conversion) is sent to DS18B20
Attachments
screenshot7.png
decoded signal
screenshot6.png
grabbed signal
screenshot8.png
capture settings
arhi

Postby arhi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm

then you can turn on RLE to be able to capture more of the signal .. for e.g. here you see first 0xCC, 0x44 (skip rom, start conversion), then 0xCC, 0xBE (skip rom, read scratch pad)

Now, as you can see on the snapshot, after 0xCC, 0xBE there is a reply from DS18B20 that analyzer does not analyze properly. That's probably a bug in the client, jawi might have a look at it .. but you can decode that part yourself if you really need to.
Attachments
screenshot9.png
screenshot10.png
arhi

Postby sunny » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks arhi for your detailed steps, I appreciate it. Im getting lots of Bus errors on the client UI, however i know there are no errors and the device is working perfect.. I just suspect if my OLS firmware version could be old one.. how do i check the version of the OLS firmware.. Is there any 1to 1 version match required for the OLS firmware and the client software..

How do i check the version of OLS, what is the latest version and any links for it.
sunny

Postby jawi » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:21 am

@sunny: with the help of arhi I've confirmed that the 1-wire decoder indeed contains a bug.

I've pushed this fix already to the main repository, but there's no official release yet. I've to fix some other bugs before I can release 0.9.5, so you either have to wait for that, or build the latest unstable version yourself...
jawi
Developer
Developer

Postby sunny » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:09 am

Hi Jawi, when can i expect a new release with this fix
sunny

Postby ian » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:44 am

Jawi is pretty busy right now, and like all volunteer open source work the effort ebbs and flows. IMHO you can never expect a new release, but the source is available if you want to compile it with the fix on your own.

Edit: that is not to mean Jawi won't make a release, but that you shouldn't expect it because nobody does this development professionally on a schedule.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby aivs » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi guys, I make emulator of the ds18b20 sensor and I need 1-wire sniffer, so as sniffer I use a Arduino UNO and OLS 0.9.7.2 on OSX.
I testet it with with serial command, and it's works fine.

When I works with 1-wire I see impulses, but when I start Tools--> 1-Wire protocol analyser it shows the nonsense!
With simple arduino sketch I send next commands:
1) reset
2) 0xCC
3) 0x44
Code: Select all
#include "OneWire.h"

OneWire  ds(10);  // on pin 10 (a 4.7K resistor is necessary)

void setup(void) {}

void loop(void) {
  ds.reset();
  ds.write(0xCC);
  ds.write(0x44);

delay(1000);
}

1-wire-cc-44.jpg

On @arhi screenshot from Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:33 am pulsations are identical to mine. But 1-Wire protocol analyser says other:
1-wire-analysis.jpg

My settings:
settings.jpg

What the problem, 1-wire analyser not works? Or its my problem?
aivs

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer