Re: "Capture Aborted! Device Not Found!" after update

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

"Capture Aborted! Device Not Found!" after update

Postby frank26080115 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:17 am

I got the sniffer back in July of last year, the lack of RLE back then made me never use it.

I just checked back, downloaded the latest windows installer, and ran all the upgrades. Now I can't capture any data. It says "Capture Aborted! Device Not Found!" when I try to start a capture.

The COM port is selected correctly (COM11, Logic Sniffer CDC-232). No other software is using the same COM port. VID is 04D8 and PID is FC92. The PWR LED is on, ACT LED is off, TRIG LED is on, ARM LED is off.

If I go into update mode, PUMO loader reports:
Opening serial port 'COM11' @ 921600 ... OK
Found PUMP HW: 1, FW: 2.1, Boot: 1
Found flash: ATMEL AT45DB041D

Downloading and re-installing the mchpcdc.inf does not help
I cannot find a way to re-assign the COM port number
Java is up-to-date
I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit with test mode enabled (driver signing disabled)

edit: oh sorry I didn't realize this was some sort of new client with a bug report thread already
edit: wow you guys need a bug tracker instead of one massive thread, I was going to repost this to the thread and ask you to delete this one but now I don't know what's a better idea so I'll let the mods decide

edit: I just ran the old "classic" client and the rocket button doesn't do anything, no error messages, the diagram and tools menu are greyed-out
Last edited by frank26080115 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
frank26080115

Postby ian » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:29 am

Hi frank -

Sorry about the problems with the Logic Sniffer.

The PIC looks to be in good shape, I'd guess there's a bitstream in the FPGA that doesn't work with the PIC firmware version. Which firmware and bitstream did you load? What version of the client did you test?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby jawi » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:18 am

frank26080115 wrote:I got the sniffer back in July of last year, the lack of RLE back then made me never use it.

I just checked back, downloaded the latest windows installer, and ran all the upgrades. Now I can't capture any data. It says "Capture Aborted! Device Not Found!" when I try to start a capture.
I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit with test mode enabled (driver signing disabled)

Hmm, I've got a Win7 64-bit installation on another laptop as well; I'll check whether the client still works there.

frank26080115 wrote:edit: wow you guys need a bug tracker instead of one massive thread, I was going to repost this to the thread and ask you to delete this one but now I don't know what's a better idea so I'll let the mods decide

*grin* actually, there's an issue-tracker on GitHub, but that is not (yet) being used. Probably it would be best to use that one instead of a major bug-tracking thread ;)

I'll let you know what the status of the Win7 64-bit issue is as soon as I've tested it.
when good software is not an alternative...
jawi
Developer
Developer

Postby frank26080115 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 pm

New client is version 0.9.0
Classic client is version "OpenBench Logic Sniffer 2.1"
PIC upgraded to "OLSv1-firmware-v2.1"
the Xilinx is loaded with "Logic_Sniffer_dynamic_depth.mcs"

The upgrade all went through and I can keep upgrading to the same firmware.
frank26080115

Postby rasmus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:01 pm

Have you tried the 0.9.2 version of the client? Upgrading from 0.9.1 to 0.9.2 fixed a problem I had that I was sure was a hardware problem.
rasmus

Postby frank26080115 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:30 pm

oh the 0.90 version shows this at startup
Auto-deploy install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle symbolic name and version are not unique: nl.lxtreme.ols
.api:1.0.1.SNAPSHOT
Auto-deploy install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle symbolic name and version are not unique: nl.lxtreme.ols
.tool.base:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.client:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.tool.i2c:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.export.image:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.logging:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.device.logicsniffer:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.tool.measure:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
Auto-deploy install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle symbolic name and version are not unique: org.apache.fel
ix.log:1.0.0
Auto-deploy install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle symbolic name and version are not unique: org.apache.fel
ix.prefs:1.0.4
ix.shell:1.4.2
ix.shell.remote:1.1.2
Auto-deploy install: org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Bundle symbolic name and version are not unique: org.rxtx:2.2.0
.tool.spi:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.tool.state:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.device.test:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.tool.uart:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
.util:1.0.4.SNAPSHOT
.export.vcd:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT
[16/01/11 10:19:59 PM - INFO  -    nl.lxtreme.ols.client.Host]: LogicSniffer v0.9.0 started ...

the new 0.9.2 does not show the same errors and now it works, sort of, data captured at various settings display data that is obviously wrong and sort of patterned, sometimes it starts and never finishes capturing

ps, why are we using CDC and not USB bulk transfers?
frank26080115

Postby rasmus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:14 pm

Is RLE on or off? Try turning it off. RLE on the 2.12 version doesn't really work.
rasmus

Postby frank26080115 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 am

actually interesting note, it is off, but i turned it on once in v0.9.2 before and it worked, successively, and then do a reset to double check v0.9.0, and then it started doing the bad data thing and won't stop doing it.
frank26080115

Postby rsdio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 am

frank26080115 wrote:ps, why are we using CDC and not USB bulk transfers?
CDC allows the PIC firmware to be very basic, and it allows the SUMP client software to be written in any language that can open a generic serial port.  Given the nature of the open community, it's difficult to find the resources for a "better" solution.

I also believe that it (CDC) allows Windows users to get by without needing a custom driver for the OLS.  I'm a little uncertain about this, because I don't know when a USB driver is needed in Windows, and I'm uncertain about how universally available libusb is or whether it is a complete solution.  All I know for certain is that OSX does not require a custom driver for any user application to access a custom USB device, but I don't think it's that simple under other operating systems.

If you'd like to develop support in the OLS for USB Bulk transfers, then you're welcome to give it a try.  The firmware for the OLS is open source.  The problem is that you'd also need to modify the SUMP client software to deal with a USB Bulk transfer instead of a generic serial port.  I happen to think this is a worthwhile effort, and it shouldn't be impossible since the clients are usually open source, too.  However, I would suggest that USB Isochronous transfers might be a better choice because of the guaranteed, negotiated bandwidth.

The $150 8-channel Saleae logic product suffers because it uses Bulk transfer, where the necessary bandwidth is not guaranteed.  The result is that logic captures often fail in the middle for no good reason, simply due to random USB events.  Bulk transfers get last priority after other types.  I've suggested that logic should use isochronous to alleviate that product's issues, but it's a huge development effort.

It would be really cool if the OLS had support for USB Isochronous transfers, although with RLE it might be difficult to predict the amount of bandwidth to allocate.
rsdio
Developer
Developer

Postby robots » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 am

CDC ACM uses bulk transfers as well. USRP (gnu radio) uses bulk transfers as well (example).

Isochronous transfers are not reliable in case of errors - no packet retransmission. In audio small glitch is introduced, that does not matter.

Today usb has bandwidth of 480mbit. OLS uses "just" 12mbit at most. I don't see any problem why couldn't the rate be maximum, unless you use the same roothub for HDD/streaming video/webcam/... , while trying to capture some data on OLS.

Libusb is used in few commercial projects. Version 1.0 creates "inf" file that will bind libusb driver to the device of your choice. In windows any device needs driver - (except for few that are included in "class" drivers - CDC acm, uvc video, etc). In linux libusb sees device directly. Not sure about macos.

I think CDC was used for compatibility with SUMP and ease with drivers. Compared to serial port used on original SUMP, CDC is a good choice for usb replacement.
robots

Postby ian » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:36 am

ps, why are we using CDC and not USB bulk transfers?

What everyone else said. We were developing a new hardware device to go with the SUMP client, which was serial. It just made sense to use USB serial to get going fast and with minimal effort. There was a lot of push to use another protocol, but that would have lengthened and complicated development. In order to test the hardware we'd have needed to update the client too, and I'm not a Java programmer at all so it is beyond my abilities. Everything is open source though, so anyone is welcome to add that feature to a firmware and client.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby honken » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:14 am

robots wrote:Today usb has bandwidth of 480mbit. OLS uses "just" 12mbit at most. I don't see any problem why couldn't the rate be maximum, unless you use the same roothub for HDD/streaming video/webcam/... , while trying to capture some data on OLS.

The 480mbps is for hi-speed devices the pic on ols is a full speed device and limited to 12mbps. So it would take a new hardware to get to hi-speed.

But I agree on that the communication path can be optimised if another (ie vendor) protocool was used.
honken

Postby robots » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:50 am

honken wrote:But I agree on that the communication path can be optimised if another (ie vendor) protocool was used.

CDC does not use any protocol at all. The descriptor just says "I am cdc" and that's all. All data that should go out of Uart TX goes to one endpoint and data comming in goes to different endpoint.

It would be possible to write libusb application that directly writes to these endpoints with no effort at all, and no hw/fw modification.

I am not sure about throttling on the CDC line. I know that linux does have (only) output data rate throttling to the rate set as baudrate. Other than that its "max" speed.
robots

Postby honken » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Yes, the datapath in cdc-acm is unaltered, but there is some signaling taking place, there is something like two extra usb packet transfers for every packet with data.
This is to support old hardware signaling with RTS/CTS.

A vendor protocool could fill every usb packet with data and ignore signaling.
If we eventually also got the ping-pong buffer mode of the pic usb engine implemented we would minimize the average latency of each transfer, because then there would always be data ready to be shipped.
honken

Postby frank26080115 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:58 pm

I just wondered about the CDC stuff because I have a genuine Saleae Logic, and a Saleae Logic clone from ITead Studio called Mini Logic (which also works as an USBee and Altera USB Blaster). ITead Studio was able to reverse engineer the Saleae Logic and USBee so that he can make a clone that is compatible with their software (which wasn't hard, I think the Cypress chip is basically a USB FIFO bridge in all three cases, configured via EEPROM, the clone just had several EEPROM settings to load). I do have a software USB packet analyzer. I would like to see if it is possible to achieve the same thing with the OLS.

Great work with the open source stuff, but the USBee client software can analyze USB packets at a low level, which I hold in high regard
frank26080115

Next

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer