Broken OLS after firmware and FPGA bitstream upgrade

A cheap logic analyzer. Get one for $50, including worldwide shipping. A collaboration between the Gadget Factory and Dangerous Prototypes.

Broken OLS after firmware and FPGA bitstream upgrade

Postby fabiomogavero » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 am

Dear all,

Today, I had the very bad idea of upgrading my working OLS v1.01 (an old one, with a 20Mhz PIC quartz) to the most recent firmware (v3.0) and FPGA bitsream (v3.07). I am still asking myself why I did this! Unfortunately, the OLS does not want to work anymore. After plugging the usb cable, indeed, the ACT led blinks twice (in the meanwhile the ARM led blinks just once; notice that the TRIG led stays off), then remains solid. As far as I was able to understand by reading all the related posts I found on this forum, this happens when something goes wrong while the FPGA tries to load its configuration. However, I do not see why this is happening as the entire process was quite smooth. I am working on a linux machine (Ubuntu 17.10), and I downloaded the appropriate software from the "OpenBench Logic Sniffer Downloads" page at gadgetfactory. Can anyone help me with this?

Below, you can find the command I executed with the associated output.

Code: Select all
sudo ./ols-loader -p:/dev/ttyACM0 -status -erase -write -wB:../FPGAROM/logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit

Logic Sniffer ROM loader v0.3 (November 9, 2010)
Opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' @ 921600 ... OK
Found OLS HW: 1, FW: 3.0, Boot: 1
Found flash: ATMEL AT45DB041D
OLS status: 9c
Chip erase ... done :)
Reading BIN file '../FPGAROM/logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit' ... OK! (binary size = 169314)
Will write 642 pages
Page 0x0000 write ... (0x0000 0x0000)OK
Page 0x0281 write ... (0x0005 0x0002)OK

sudo ./ols-loader -p:/dev/ttyACM0 -boot

OLS switched to bootloader mode

sudo ./fw_update -e -w -m flash -vid 0x04d8 -pid 0xfc90 -ix ../PIC_firmware/OLSv1.firmware.v3.0.hex

U2IO flash erasing: DONE.
U2IO flash programming: DONE.
RESET Device
Operation successfully completed.

This is the output of my dmesg.

USB disconnect, device number 111
usb 1-4: new full-speed USB device number 112 using xhci_hcd
usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=04d8, idProduct=fc92
usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-4: Product: Logic Sniffer CDC-232
usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Microchip Technology Inc.
cdc_acm 1-4:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

The only strange thing that I noticed is that the selftest fails because of the 2.5v line. This is very strange, since I checked the line on the extension wing with a meter and the reading was stable at 2.55v.

sudo ./ols-loader -p:/dev/ttyACM0 -selftest

done...
Failed :( - '2'
ERROR: 2V5 supply failed self-test :(

I also tried several combinations of older firmware and FPGA bitsreams without any success. In particular, with firmware v2.0, the ACT led blinks continuously while the TRIG led stays on and the ARM led remains off, but I am not able to connect to the OLS anymore. I can only enter the upgrading mode by pushing the RESET and UPDATE buttons together. If I do a selftest, however, it terminate with success.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Fabio
fabiomogavero

Re: Broken OLS after firmware and FPGA bitstream upgrade

Postby fabiomogavero » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:24 am

Dear all,

I was finally able to bring my OLS back to life by downgrading its firmware to version 0.2 and the FPGA bitsreams to version 2.0. This was the only combination that worked. I really do not know how other people were able to upgrade their OLS v1.01 to anything more recent than that. If anyone knows how to do this, please reply!

Best,
Fabio
fabiomogavero

Postby USBEprom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Fabio.
I know nothing but what you wrote is correct.
Firmware version 0.2 (OLSv1-firmware-v02.hex) is suited for 20MHz crystal.
For OLS v1.01 20MHz crystal you need one of these:

OLSv1-firmware-v02.hex
OLSv1-firmware-v05-20MHz.hex
OLSv1-firmware-v06-20MHz.hex

All the other firmwares, of course OLSv1.firmware.v3.0.hex included, are suited for 16MHz crystal only.
As rule of thumb the firmwares which have size about ~22kB (22-24kB) are for the 20MHz crystal only, the ones which have size 46kB are instead for the 16MHz crystal only.
You can not use a 16MHz version in your OLS v1.01.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
USBEprom

Postby fabiomogavero » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 am

Dear U.Sbm,

Thank you very much for your explanation. There is stil something strange though. I tried both the v05-20MHz and v06-20MHz versions of the firmware and, by looking only at its leds, the OLS seemed to behave correctly. However, by using sigrok and pulseview on linux I am not able to connect to the OLS!

Best,
Fabio
fabiomogavero

Postby USBEprom » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi Fabio.
I know nothing, sorry.
I saw using OLS only on Windows, never on Linux.
Though I know SIGROK and its GUI named PulseView have some limitations compared to other client, expecially the JAVA based ones.
Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion it should be better for you using on Linux the provided classic clients (Jawis-OLS-client or Jawi-ols) and only after making sure everything works take a chance with SIGROK and PulseView.
Among other thing Jawi-ols, which it does allows the 4-wire SPI protocol while instead SIGROK does not, provide metadata from OLS hardware that could be useful while troubleshooting any issue.

Be seeing you.

U.Sb
USBEprom

Postby fabiomogavero » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Dear U.Sb,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try the java-based clients as soon as I can.

Best,
Fabio
fabiomogavero

Return to Open Bench Logic Sniffer