Idea of online schematics and PCB "old school" editor...

Anything not related to a specific project.

Idea of online schematics and PCB "old school" editor...

Postby Shaos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello, I just want to introduce my new project - "old school" online editor of schematics and PCB for simple digital electronics projects:

http://www.circuits.cc

Currently it's a shared sandbox with old good DOS ASCII and pseudographics "palette" (alternative Russian DOS codepage with some custom extensions) - everybody can do anything and anybody else can see it (be careful - I can see all activities and will blacklist IPs in case of any vandal actions).

Planned features: library of components, personal sandboxes, logical simulation, autogeneration of schematics from netlist, autotracing of PCB from schematics and even direct PCB ordering :)

It was tested on:

FireFox 16.0 and 17.0 (best results)
Chrome 23 (good results)
Safari 5.1.7
Opera 9.64, 10.63, 11.52 and 12.10
Internet Explorer 8 and 9
And even web-browser in Android v2.3.6 ;)

Any suggestions, ideas etc?

P.S. Currently only international style of logical gates representation is possible, no US style yet...

P.P.S. If web-page looks too small in your web-browser try Ctrl+ (ZoomIn) a few times to make it bigger ;)
Attachments
circuits2.png
Screenshot of Circuits.CC website
Shaos

Re: Idea of online schematics and PCB "old school" editor...

Postby Shaos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Also it will be 100% open source. Currently it's unusual mix of technologies: SQLite + Hope on the server side and JavaScript + custom bytecode interpreter (for now just JS, but custom VM will be added soon) on the client side. No canvas in JS! Just old style tables with sliced images in it. So technically it may work even in older browsers. Any thoughts?...
Attachments
circuits-3.png
Latest screenshot from Circuits.CC
Shaos

Postby matseng » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 am

It's a really neat concept from a programming standpoint, and I also would have loved using it on a dos machine 25 years ago.

But as today I'm not really sure why you choose to make it look like an old clunky dos program....?
matseng

Postby Shaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 pm

matseng wrote:It's a really neat concept from a programming standpoint, and I also would have loved using it on a dos machine 25 years ago.

But as today I'm not really sure why you choose to make it look like an old clunky dos program....?

It will work in more browsers than canvas ;)

Also algorithms are much easier to implement in such simplified system...
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:30 pm

Because of DP-blog I got bombed by many destructive users - DP-effect in action! ;)

P.S. Looks like the Moon surface :)
Attachments
cc007232.gif
DP-effect in action ;)
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Adafruit also added some traffic...

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2012/11/29 ... cs-editor/

Now I got visitors from 57 countries:
Attachments
cc019385.gif
battlefield
Shaos

Postby hak8or » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:16 am

Oh wow, this is amazing. :P

Thank you for open sourcing it too! Hopefully you will get a good following of people, and in a few years maybe, just maybe, beat Altium in PCB and schematic design! But first, we must get started with ASCII art of a few specific body parts, like what is getting started on the top right ish of the board.

Anyways, yeah, this is awesome! Are you referring to auto routing when you said auto tracing? I am excited to see any PCB's that might come of this!
hak8or

Postby Shaos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:29 pm

hak8or wrote:Oh wow, this is amazing. :P

Thanks!

hak8or wrote:Thank you for open sourcing it too! Hopefully you will get a good following of people, and in a few years maybe, just maybe, beat Altium in PCB and schematic design! But first, we must get started with ASCII art of a few specific body parts, like what is getting started on the top right ish of the board.

Actually I think about something just for hobbyists - with DIP, PLCC and SOIC support, but not smaller (for 99% hobby needs even Eagle is too heavy)

hak8or wrote:Anyways, yeah, this is awesome! Are you referring to auto routing when you said auto tracing? I am excited to see any PCB's that might come of this!

Right, I meant auto routing - for this approach it should not be too compex...
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Entire source code of Circuits.CC is released on GitHub:

https://github.com/shaos/circuits_cc

JavaScript framework is under LGPLv2.1
Future bytecodes will be GPLv3 (not used yet)
Server side CGI-scripts are public domain (they are too tiny)
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 am

Version 0.2 of Circuits.CC is available on http://circuits.cc and (because it's 100% open source) on the GitHub: https://github.com/shaos/circuits_cc

Finally I used my byte-code to implement a component library (with 200 components in it and most of them are programmatically generated on the fly). Now Circuits.CC is almost 3000 lines of code - 2% server side program in Hope+SQLite (public domain), 79% client side scripts in JavaScript (including LGPL libraries) and 19% client side scripts in my own Roberta programming language (GPLv3), compiled to the byte-code that is translated to JavaScript on the page load and it's working in all modern web-browsers.

P.S. Also Copy/Paste feature is there and linked to the library "Clipboard" where user may copy up to 99 items, but it's not saved anywhere - it will disappear after page reloading...

P.P.S. Next tasks:
- Gerber/Excellon generator
- Logic simulator with logging and visualization
- Plugins written in Roberta programming language to simulate complex components as microcontrollers/memory/displays etc.

P.P.P.S. Best user experience is for Chrome and Safari. For FireFox it is not so good because every time when it loads new images, it breaks HTML-table for a few seconds and it looks ugly. It also works on Konqueror, Opera and IE8, but slower.
Attachments
circuits-7.png
Circuits.CC v0.2
Shaos

Postby ian » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:06 am

Wow! This is insanely awesome! I really like what you shared about the construction, and I love "software as service" that is completely open source. Usually I see it as a trap because the backend is off limits. Really nice work!
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby AdShea » Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:07 am

Really someone should be able to code up a JS 8088 emulator to run EasyTrax in a browser. If it can run on a PC-Jr it should be able to run on anything you've got now.
AdShea

Postby Shaos » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:19 pm

ian wrote:Wow! This is insanely awesome! I really like what you shared about the construction, and I love "software as service" that is completely open source. Usually I see it as a trap because the backend is off limits. Really nice work!

Thanks! In my case the backend is a few dozens lines of a glue code to have an interface to the server-side SQLite database - there is no so much intelligence on the server-side yet, but client side code is already a little bit heavy...
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 pm

AdShea wrote:Really someone should be able to code up a JS 8088 emulator to run EasyTrax in a browser. If it can run on a PC-Jr it should be able to run on anything you've got now.

Is EasyTrax officially "freeware"?...
Shaos

Postby Shaos » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Now Lib/Brd/PLCC has 7 manually drawn "pre-wired" PLCC sockets (I think it's much easier to use PLCC if it has pre-routed SOIC-like wires which go left and right ; )

P.S. Lib/Brd/SIP already has all possible "single in-line packages" from 1 to 36 pins, Lib/Brd/DIP already has a good number of "dual in-line packages": 300 mil DIP2/4/6/8/10/12/14/16/18/20/22/24/28/32, 600 mil DIP24/28/32/40 and 900 mil DIP64 and Lib/Brd/SOIC already has SOIC8/14/16/18/20/24/28/32 packages listed with all popular dimensions (all three libraries are generated programmatically by the client-side script).
Attachments
circuits-plcc.gif
PLCC sockets in Circuits.CC
Shaos

Return to General discussion