Got any cool high voltage pictures? (56k)

Anything not related to a specific project.

Got any cool high voltage pictures? (56k)

Postby hak8or » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:23 am

I found some old pictures of me playing around with a flyback, and I wanted to test out this awesome gallery thing I found, so I mushed them together, and well, here they are!

http://archive.hak8or.com/projects/high ... e_flyback/

Feedback on the gallery would be most appreciated, as well as any requests for pictures!
Last edited by hak8or on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hak8or

Re: Got any cool high voltage pictures? (56k)

Postby AndThen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

I found your pickit! =D
AndThen

Postby hak8or » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:49 pm

AndThen wrote:I found your pickit! =D

I spent like five minutes trying to find where you saw the pickit2 in these pictures. :P
Now I know where my pickit was like 5 months ago at least. :P
hak8or

Postby voidptr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 pm

amazing pics !
no i see why we should NOT open a live CRT !
:o)
voidptr

Postby AndThen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 pm

The third one has a really nice effect, movie or video game quality flare.
AndThen

Postby ian » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 am

Very nice high voltage shots! I really like the ones to the screw.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby hak8or » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:57 am

Thanks guys! :)

voidptr wrote:amazing pics !
no i see why we should NOT open a live CRT !
:o)

Opening a circuit that is live and high voltage is never that much of a bright idea. :P
Though, in this case you should be fine if you open a crt that is on, just don't go poking around that much since the PCB has mains floating around in there plus a few higher voltages for the deflection assembly in the electron gun. The only really high voltage (higher then mains) parts of a CRT, I think, are the high voltage pins in the flyback that go to the electron gun deflection assembly (much much less than 30 Kv), and the really high voltage connection (30Kv+, higher if larger crt) to the mesh in the front of the crt. The high voltage wires that go from the pcb to the actual crt are fine, the high voltage traces on the pcb is what you watch out for. :P They are well labeled usually though, so you should notice right away.

AndThen wrote:The third one has a really nice effect, movie or video game quality flare.

Ah yes, I like the big fat arcs too! Though, on camera the other arcs don't look that cool, but that is because the camera's shutter was capturing only like 1/30th of a second, so in person it looks much cooler! Also, there are a few effects I can't get on picture, like all the ozone produced (mmmm, ozone ....) and the slight breeze the high voltage causes. It is really cool! Not to mention very fluid feeling in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn5jud4Bnk8 <-- in motion

ian wrote:Very nice high voltage shots! I really like the ones to the screw.

Thanks for the front page Ian! :) I personally find the first two and 2nd last one to be my favorites.
hak8or

Postby LongHairedHacker » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 pm

Moin

Nice pictures.
I also made some experiments with highvoltage a few years ago.
I build my own flybackdriver from parts I had scavenged from some old TVs and some computer psus.
Also I needed to wind a new coil on the transformer to get a decent feedback for the driver.

Here's the link : http://sebastians-site.de/homepage/elek ... trafo.html
(All the German stuff states that you SHOULD NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, and that I'm not responsible if you decide to touch the hot end of the circuit.)

The setup on my old workbench ... wouldn't set it up this way again.
Got some painfull 23kV arcs im my arm due to the chaos.

23kV AC (it's not a flyback tranformer with diodes in it) in a light bulb.
You could actually touch the bulb, and have arcs aiming for your finger, but it ionized the air around it, so it still felt really strange.

One important lessons was learn while taking this pictures :
When you work with HV in the dark make sure to have the kill switch in reach and make sure you have the light switch in reach.
Also make sure that light and kill switch are NOT located at the other site of the workbench, across the whole setup. ;)

Greetings
Sebastian
DIY-electronics ... eating all my money and free time since 1998
LongHairedHacker

Postby hak8or » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:53 am

Oh wow, very awesome pictures there Sebastian!

And I totally agree with you! messy desk + high voltage = some zaps here and there

Instead of using a "killswitch", I normally have a power strip on my desk and plug in all my "experimental" stuff like MOT's and whatnot. If something starts to go wrong, the power strip is very visible and the switch in the power strip has a led inside, so it is very easy to find it and quickly shut it off. The power strip goes into my "power panel" which has all the switches for each outlet, so if anything goes wrong and I cannot reach the power strip switch, I can just easily shut it off there. And even more, if there is a situation where my desk catches fire or something else equally as catastrophic and ridiculous, I can easily pull out the plug that my entire "area" is plugged in with.

Though, I do plan on eventually adding in a "kill switch" that is on the side of my desk. A big red "E-stop" button like this:
http://epub1.rockwellautomation.com/ima ... /32062.jpg
It would also automatically shut off if there is a sudden very bright light discharge or a very loud sudden sound. Though, I can disable those automatic alarms at any time so it does not turn off every time I take a picture with flash or hammer away at something.

But yeah, awesome pictures! I only have the modern flybacks with internal diodes. :( Also, I still need to start really messing with flybacks again, it has been so long!
hak8or

Return to General discussion