comparing Adafruit and Gravitech microSD boards

Anything not related to a specific project.

comparing Adafruit and Gravitech microSD boards

Postby jbeale » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:46 am

I recently assembled a few systems that required SD storage, so I got some Adafruit micro-SD breakout boards. This week I needed to make some more, and Adafruit is out of stock just now, so I got some from Gravitech. For anyone interested, you can see them side-by-side in the photo below (both are connected to an Arduino Pro Mini 5V, so I made use of the 5V<->3V level converter both boards include).

https://www.adafruit.com/products/254
http://www.gravitech.us/micaad.html

The shape is a bit different, but both boards work as intended. Both have LEDs, but the Gravitech LED is on whenever a card is inserted (I think using the socket's mechanical card detect switch) and the Adafruit LED blinks while data is transferred to/from the card, which I think is the more useful function. Both have "push/push" type sockets (to release card, push in, it clicks and springs back out). They are from different vendors; the Gravitech sockets seemed to have a bit more friction and were more sticky overall, and tend to grab on to the cards rather than release them cleanly, but they seem to improve a bit after a few cycles.

(I also got one Gravitech full-sized SD card adaptor board, which is bigger but otherwise similar.)

jbeale

Re: comparing Adafruit and Gravitech microSD boards

Postby jersagfast » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 am

If I could also just add an observation of mounting holes on the Adafruit board. I can’t imagine trying to rig a push/push uSD without them. :)
jersagfast

Postby jbeale » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:36 pm

One way to mount it (ok, not so cheap) is to do a custom case with stops that just fit around the board:

Image Image

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HPpE_oALwPYrixXFc1TbYA?feat=directlink
jbeale

Postby svkatielee » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm a new guy here and can't find an appropriate post to comment on.
Please excuse me here.
Did you make this box/holder or is it software?

I mostly play with AVR chips and have just ordered my first arduino compatible to work easier with some custom 'shields' and use more of the downloadable shetches without having to modify thwm so much.
svkatielee

Postby jbeale » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 pm

That is a real, custom SLA (stereo-lithography) case that was fabricated for a prototype at work- they had the budget for it. It is like the 3D printed things made by a "reprap" type printer, except with finer resolution (I think the layers are each only a few thousandths of an inch).
jbeale

Postby sqkybeaver » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 am

jbeale wrote:That is a real, custom SLA (stereo-lithography) case that was fabricated for a prototype at work- they had the budget for it. It is like the 3D printed things made by a "reprap" type printer, except with finer resolution (I think the layers are each only a few thousandths of an inch).

i'd like to see an open source/hardware SLA

I had contracted a company to make some really small cases about 1x1x2.5cm, it cost $600 for 5 of them, if i had a maker-bot(5 years ago) it would half paid itself off after one job.
sqkybeaver

Return to General discussion