Microchip Arduino thing interview questions?

Anything not related to a specific project.

Re: Microchip Arduino thing interview questions?

Postby tcmichals » Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

For PIC32, I'm just going to move all of the PIC32 h, c, and startup files out from the open source compiler, with the verbal caveat from the interview with Ian, "Its all open source".

This way, there is a clear, PIC32 library, linker files, etc. Then move to CodeSourcery compiler. I have no idea at this time why create a different compiler?

The big issue I always had starting from scratch is all the darn processor files, files with all of the registers, p32xxxx.h

Also, since there is no libraries, it is a restart of what I was doing, but with OK to use the processor header files, (FYI, still have the old license agreement)

FileName: can.h
Processor: PIC32MX
Compiler: Microchip MPLAB C32 v1.06 or higher

Copyright � 2008-2009 released Microchip Technology Inc. All rights
reserved.

Microchip licenses to you the right to use, modify, copy and distribute
Software only when embedded on a Microchip microcontroller or digital signal
controller that is integrated into your product or third party product
(pursuant to the sublicense terms in the accompanying license agreement).

You should refer to the license agreement accompanying this Software for
additional information regarding your rights and obligations.
tcmichals

Postby voidptr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:27 am

it seems to be like i was thinking, still 2 sides for microchip with some grey places.
an open new market, with open compiler and some open stuff but no libs source !? (good start tho ...)
and the standard microchip development path still like old time not open with weird licenses ...

now! will be some debugger functionality added to the arduino IDE throught pickit3 or other emulator...
or in a way to debug ... will we be able to minimally link those unopen free arduino libs with the standart C32 compiler in a way to be able to debug with it, of course we will not see libs source code but we can trace our code at least ?!?!...

-----------------
web wrote:Here’s some answers from Jason Kajita, a compiler developer. Jason wants to us to emphasize that this is the current plan and subject to change. Thanks for the lengthy answers!

Is there any new open source code in the chipKIT compiler – files that were previously under a restrictive license but are now GPL?

At the moment, the source for the Standard C library is not provided. This is because it contains some code licensed from other companies. We decided to license this code because it had a better performance/size balance than the existing open-source solutions that we evaluated and we need to put our best foot forward for competitive benchmarking purposes. In short, we made the decision to go with the best technical solution, but that meant that we can’t provide source for the library.

-----------------
ian wrote:I got a follow up on the compiler questions from the compiler developer:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/2011/05/ ... ompiler-qa

Really interesting stuff there. Maybe a way to port the PIC18/24 compilers without the microchip libraries? I can't tell if this means chipKIT is currently in the same boat as the other Microchip compilers - open GCC but the processor library is still closed source. Has anyone found this (missing) at github?
voidptr

Postby jamodio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:34 am

Since I mentioned this forum I thought posting a reference here to an article I just posted on my blog about the chipKIT boards.

http://blog.ljcv.net/2011/06/chipkit-pi ... ds-by.html

Cheers
Jorge
jamodio

Postby ian » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 am

Thanks for the link, we'll post it up.

A note on the TM thing - all the TMs on my box were markered out. I think they might have been a bit premature, or didn't get past the patent office as quickly as they like/the first time.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby jamodio » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:31 am

You are right, the boxes I received the circle on the top right to chipKIT has been filled with a black marker.
The silk screen on the boards has it.
jamodio

Postby GeneApperson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:20 pm

jamodio wrote:You are right, the boxes I received the circle on the top right to chipKIT has been filled with a black marker.
The silk screen on the boards has it.

There was a miscommunication between Microchip and Digilent with regard to trademark registration of the chipKIT name. We mistakenly thought they were registering the trademark and so produced the box art and board silk screen with the registration mark (circle R, rather than TM) Unfortunately, no one caught the error in the reviews, and we had already built 4000 boards and had them boxed before the error was discovered. It's a big no-no to use the registration mark when the trademark hasn't been granted by the Patent and Trademark Office and so we had to paint them out on the first build. Future builds will have the TM mark.

Gene Apperson
Digilent
GeneApperson

Postby GeneApperson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:51 pm

Further comment about trademark: There is a lot of confusion around about the difference between the registration mark (circle R) and the TM.
Use of the registration mark implies that an application for registration of the trademark has been made to the Patent and Trademark Office, the PTO has researched and determined that the requested trademark is sufficiently distinct to not be overly broad and doesn't conflict with previously registered trademarks, and that the registration has been granted by the PTO. This gives pretty solid claim to ownership of the trademark.
Use of TM is a assertion of ownership of the use of the trademark in commerce, but does not require any registration. Essentially, anyone can assert ownership of any trademark they like by using TM. If a conflict comes up between multiple users of a TM, the one using it will generally win, and of course anyone trying to use someone else's registered trademark will almost certainly lose.
The PTO requires that the owner of a trademark defend it by preventing others from using it. A trademark owner can lose its ownership by not being sufficiently rigorous in it's defense.

Gene Apperson
Digilent
GeneApperson

Postby GeneApperson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm

I meant to say that in conflict between multiple users of a trademark, the one using it FIRST will generally win.
GeneApperson

Postby ian » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 am

Hi Gene,

Thanks so much for stopping by and giving us more info on the ChipKIT.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:57 am

This thread attracts 2 or 3 spammers every month. Probably because of the work Arduino. I'm gonna lock the thread so it doesn't happen any more.
ian
Crew
Crew

Previous

Return to General discussion