Re: Computer controlled PS/function gen/multimeter

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Postby wvdv2002 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:58 pm

It has been a while, but some progress has been made on my small mobile power supply. I have received the PCB and build both versions of the apparatus, one with the LM20323 and the other with the lm2596. Both versions function as expected actually.

The version with the LM20323 did not work, as it goes berserk when the current feedback kicks in, because it tries to compensate for what the chip thinks is an overvoltage problem. When it comes to voltage limiting capabilities it works very good, because it is much more efficient than the version with the LM2596, which above 2-2.5 amps gets quite hot.

The version with the LM2596 works quite well, although in current limiting mode there is some oscillation for the moment (I did not try to compensate for this yet). Furthermore it tends too make a high pitched noise in some load conditions. The voltage ripple is about 50mV and the current ripple 50mA. Which I think is still quite a lot, hopefully I will find some way to improve it.
So you can charge batteries with it, but it is not a laboratory supply (yet).

There were some minor errors, like the opamp apparently having two different versions, one with VDD and VSS reversed, of course I chose the most exotic of the two parts... Furthermore the Vusb detection pin was connected to a non 5V tolerant pin and started to supply 5V to the 3.3v rail via the PICs internal diodes, my bad.

So, now I need to start thinking about getting rid of the oscillations and order one of these babies, which will make it look way more badass. Let me know what you guys think of the design up till now.

On the computer control side of things. I first need to switch back to the C18 compiler instead of the XC8, too bad the USB stack does not work on the new compiler yet.

EDIT: Ok, I also found the solution to the oscillations and noise. The second coil added too much phase delay, thereby making the thing unstable. I removed the coil and now I only get 30mV of ripple while regulating a voltage and 50mV of ripple while current regulating :D
Attachments
IMG_6163.JPG
The underside
IMG_6162.JPG
The supply with the LCD removed
IMG_6160.JPG
The supply running in current limit mode
wvdv2002

Postby hybernaut » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:36 am

This looks sweet--nice work!

[My first DP post]
hybernaut

Postby garak » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 pm

Wow its great to see someone took this idea and ran with it. I had long forgotten about this project idea. Looks great, keep up the good work.

Thanks
--
Chris "Garak" McDonald
garak

Postby popol » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice work! I'll keep looking for updates. Thanks for sharing.

Popol
popol

Postby diogoc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:43 pm

Are you thinking to share the schematics?
diogoc

Postby diogoc » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 am

If anyone want, here is almost the schematic for the chinese ZXY6005S power supply
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzkDuD ... sp=sharing
diogoc

Previous

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions