Chinese Soldering Iron Driver (Warning/Info Search)

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Chinese Soldering Iron Driver (Warning/Info Search)

Postby sleemanj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am

Bit of a warning, bit of a quest for anybody who might have more information.

So a while back I bought one of these on Taobao...

T21Dx0XnVcXXXXXXXX_!!59070758.jpg
Chinese Soldering Iron Driver

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=8686679296

68 Yuan, which with the shipping and agents etc came to about $17 USD in a larger order, worth a punt. Subsequently I found that these are also sold on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Soldering-Iron-Station-Temperature-Controller-For-HAKKO-936-T12-T1-T13-Handle-/170969190905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ce8ed1f9&_uhb=1#ht_7058wt_1399

The Taobao seller also has a mini version of it, and sells built up in cases also...

The silkscreen (and a display on the 1602 LCD) says it is "BG2001_V2" "By_LET".

Anyway, supposedly (in so far as Google translate would allow) this supports standard Hakko 936 irons (and the T12 type which seem to be the most common in China for some reason), also supports 4 presets, automatic sleep, DC input in a wide range, input via encoder or buttons. I have finally got around to wiring it up as best I can figure from the diagram. It detects a Hakko 907 handle as a 936 ok, and drives the element, unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be able to read the thermistor at all, the iron temperature readout seems locked to the ambient temperature (but the iron heats up in a matter of seconds, it's not a delay thing, the element is being driven flat out at 100% PWM).

It DOES know the thermistor is there, if I disconnect it, it reverts to T12 mode. I tried putting a pot in place of the thermistor connection and twiddling that flips between 936 and T12 mode around 300 Ohm I think (more becomes T12 and the iron temperature indication changes, less becomes 936 and the iron temperature display seems to lock to ambient [and drives at 100%]). So far as I know the handle's thermistor is working - at least, the resistance across it changes with the application of heat to the tip of the iron. I think the 907/936 irons are just a simple thermistor.

What I suspect, is that the controller simply doesn't support 936 handles (907 etc) properly, since it seems everybody in China uses the T12 based irons. All the images show T12 irons in use, none show 936. So yeah, a warning, if you want to use a Hakko 900 series handle, these controllers possibly don't work as best I can figure, despite what they sellers say.

I guess it could be a configuration thing that has to be twiddled - if you hold the encoder button when powering up you enter a config mode where there are 7 different options you can change, some of them I have worked out, but some are just a number without any sort of notion was to what they do (if anything). So, if anybody has bought one of these (I see the ebay seller has flogged off a few of them) and had success with a 907 handle, please post below!
sleemanj

Re: Chinese Soldering Iron Driver (Warning/Info Search)

Postby sleemanj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:58 pm

I posted a question to the eBay seller asking if they had wiring instructions for 907 handles, the response:

"HI, it dont work with 907"

I thought the 907 handle was the usual handle for the 936 station. I don't think there actually is a 936 handle.

....oh...wait...a...second....

I wonder if by 936 they actually mean the Atten (and various other chinese brands) 936 handles, they have an inverted connector (where the Hakko has male, the Atten ones have female), I had assumed that these would simply be Hakko copies, but perhaps they have different thermistor characteristics too...

Hmm, I bet that's it actually. Will try and add an atten 936 handle to my next order, or perhaps from ebay.
sleemanj

Postby sparkybg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I suspect it is made for a thermocouple, not thermistor. And thermocouple "simulates" a changing thermistor pretty good when you measure the resistance with a multimeter. Since the thermistors used by Hakko/Weller/etc are more expensive than a thermocouple, it is possible that this is the case.

Try using an iron with thermocouple and you will find out if I am right.

...also, I suggest you to try these T12 irons. The tips are very compact and well made. And 70W. I am using these (I am not from China :) ), and I don't want to hear about anything else. They heat up VERY fast and you can use them for anything from a TO247 to TQFP with 0.4mm spacing.
sparkybg

Postby sleemanj » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:03 am

sparkybg wrote:I suspect it is made for a thermocouple, not thermistor.

Yep. It definately is. I did some more research on the matter after my post, and actually there's a mention here I think by Arhi that there is a big difference between the thermocouple characteristics in the Hakko 907 and the knock-offs.

The knock-offs are N-type (from memory) thermocouple and can be identified by a resistance around 2 ohm, the resistance of the Hakko's is much higher (60 ohm from memory).

Anyway I'm going to order a couple of the knock-off elements ("A1322") (for a buck a piece or something) to confirm, later in the month. But 99% sure that's what the issue is.

PS: Anybody reading from NZ who might want one, let me know, loosely thinking about importing a few for resale if they prove to be decent enough.
sleemanj

Postby dtmf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Some settings.
Attachments
DSC_0839.jpg
dtmf

Postby dtmf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Chinese Ya Xun Hakko clone with J- type thermocople works Ok like 936 : ))
dtmf

Postby dtmf » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Missing parts for T12 accuracy. No more 50C error.
Attachments
DSC_0841.jpg
DSC_0840.jpg
dtmf

Postby sleemanj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 pm

dtmf wrote:Some settings.

The following are the setting instructions in Simplified Chinese which I extracted from an image and cleaned up. Unfortunately it's still too hard to get a very useful OCR of this to work well, let alone machine translation.

Perhaps somebody who knows somebody who can read Simplified Chinese could translate this.

Soldeing-Iron-Setup.png

This is the "best" machine translation I could get,
Code: Select all
Vibration Sleep
= TI2 mild control l do not change u
Coding or press
Type, 0 = imports TL2, non-0 = domestic T12
Potentiometer, non-zero
In seconds, the default time for the Chi cell
0: NC Sleep, Sleep: normally open, 2 setting [] = L0AD factory settings, non-0: Normal mode
Fixed temperature probe for thermal resistance, leave it 0
Type, 0 Single
Class l the seed storage Bu l group of people the m probe by the branded side deep sting Mian Mian temperature for summer and warm in normal operating doors ggg control recovery
The lie. The the L_ very few fq Shanzhunxunyan. Qiu

I believe that the first item (0) item 4 is to do with selecting the sleep switch, either microswitch or vibration sensor. And I can see there is some sort of temperature probe setting, adjusting PID perhaps.

soldering-2.png
soldering-2.png (97.37 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
sleemanj

Postby ivanko100 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:18 am

Hello, what are the factory settings from FIX0 to FIX6 for T12 tip? Can somebody explain the meanings of menu values for menu 0 to 7 in FIX0 and what are the settings for T12 tip in the FIX0 to FIX6 menues.
ivanko100

Postby sleemanj » Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm

Just a followup, I procured a chinese variety 936 handle (and a few A1322 elements, again the chinese variety) for crazy cheap, and they work with this driver fine (I havn't actually measured the tip for accuracy, but operationally it works). I did have to switch the polarity of my sensor connectors on the socket, don't know if that's because I initailly wired them backwards, or if the knock-offs use reversed polarity.

The handle cost me $1.99 USD + the various shipping & fees (the final price about $6.00 USD, part of a larger order)
The extra elements cost me $0.42 each + the various shipping & fees (final price about $0.91 USD, part of a larger order)

So ignoring my mistaken Hakko handle purchase, total cost to me was about $30 USD, plus the old laptop power supply from my junk drawer.
sleemanj

Postby Khaderah » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:36 am

Meanings of menu values for menu 0 to 7 in FIX0 and the settings for T12 tip in the FIX0 to FIX6 menues
The following are the setting in fix table
Attachments
Table.png
Khaderah

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions