Dangerous component/part tester

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Re: Dangerous component/part tester

Postby arupbsk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:22 am

Another meter project found in the web: http://members.shaw.ca/Botgoodies2/Mega ... aMeter.htm

I'd be one of the active persons in development of this project if AVR is chosen the uC in this.
I have the following idea.
Microcontroller: Atmega32 (32K flash, 2K SRAM, 8-channel 10-bit A/D converter, 16MIPS)
LCD: General 16x2 LCD or if more space required 20x4. No GLCD as that would take much space for routines and fonts.
Modes:
1. Inductor : Sub-hardware will be built with the famous LM311 based designs for a LC resonant circuit (lying around the web).
2. Capacitor: -as above-
3. Resistor: Pullups through different value resistors(different range for better accuracy) to test point to get resulting voltage, measurement through ADC and thus calculating resistor value. The unavailability of tri state ports in AVR makes this complex as calculations for active range makes the selected resistor voltage pulled up but also makes the other range's resistors pulldown the voltage.
4. Frequency meter: Using timer
5. Frequency Generator: 50% duty cycle square wave, 0 - 5 VDC (easiest implementation)
6. Waveform generator: sine/triangle/saw using any I2C based DAC. (uC I2C interface used here)
7. Logic Probe: H/L/Hi-Z
8. Diode tester: Measures forward voltage as well as reverse voltage for zeners. (A pcb relay to separate HV supply from uC in the time of testing reverse)
9. Transistor tester (type, gain detection etc)
10. MOSFET tester (characteristics detection)
11. IR data receiver (Just receive and display value of simple protocols like RC5 )
12. UART projector: Projects predefined string to UART (as was in superprobe)
13. UART receiver: Receives text sent through UART and displays in LCD (scrolling text)
14. Discrete logic IC detector/tester. That requires 3/6/12 digital I/O pins. I am not sure how many I/O pins will be left after utilizing above features. :P

PC side features (if bridged with PC through FTDI or whatever)
1. 4(or more) channel logic analyzer
2. Single trace DC(0-5V) ADC visualization, useful for measuring analog factors like temperature.
3. Everything that was done in LCD.

As a starting, I've already started prototyping stage structures.
000_0013[1].JPG

I have connected LCD to port B, made power supply side, added inductor and best capacitor(atleast what best quality 100kpf I got here) in the analog section(ADC).
For rapid testing/development, I've built UsbtinyISP at one side, which will allow faster programming (least cable/connector free experience). Everything is built on a large perfboard. And I like the good things that happened. I got no errors and successful testing at first powerup for both the programmer side and development area.
Whenever the project will complete, my build board can be used as a development board. :)
000_0015[1].JPG

The first ADC testing is a great success. I got stable reading. An alkaline battery was put in test, and the voltage was shown in the LCD as 1.29V and it was 1.31V in my 2$ multimeter DT830D. If multimeter is correct then error is 1.5%. But I think the AVR is accurate than the 2$ multimeter.

Tomorrow's task: Make a subroutine for measuring resistance.

@ian, the login problem still there. In this reply, I added attachments, then before posting I clicked preview and it let me to the login page, and everything I typed, was lost. This happened twice this time. How annoying. !
Still learning
-Arup
arupbsk

Postby arupbsk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 am

fcobcn wrote:I did my AVR transistor tester some time ago, it has been a great addition to my toolbox.
I couldn't find an available pcb layout for a DIP atmega8, so I did my own version, as you can see in the pictures, there's a missing trace.
I can look for the eagle files if needed.

Please look for the source files. For my above development, your subroutines will come handy for me.
Last edited by arupbsk on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still learning
-Arup
arupbsk

Postby fcobcn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 am

arupbsk wrote:Please look for the source files. For my above development, your subroutines will come handy for me.

hi arupbsk, this is not my design,
you can find firmware source files in here: http://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles ... stortester
I only did my own pcb layout.
fcobcn

Postby ian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:59 pm

@ian, the login problem still there. In this reply, I added attachments, then before posting I clicked preview and it let me to the login page, and everything I typed, was lost. This happened twice this time. How annoying. !

Sorry about that. We had a major server crash tonight, I think that is the cause here. You typed while I was crying and pounding on the server :) Your login session was gone when you came back.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby BrentBXR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Oh man; now I cant decide to try and make one of these or wait for DP's prototype to come out. This would be a really fun one to be involved from the start with (not so much jumping in the middle like I did with the BP; though thats awesome as well; plus im here for the start of v4; I cant wait to see what that bad boy does in the future).

I absolutely love the idea of a protoboard area and the SMD connectors (Do you hold the CHIP on it and hit test? Or are you thinking its to be solider then tested?).

Dont forget a couple headers on the bottom or somthing so you can attach bananclip or female connectors to; then it could possibly be used to identify components on live circuits (if surroundings dont mess everything up)

and fcobcn, Great build man; that thing looks great!
BrentBXR

Postby BrentBXR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:52 pm

So I have not looked at the code for the AVR project yet but I assume what the device does is basicly loop through high/low/analog/adc through every pin and using that data figures out what part is going to be used.

My question is how are you going to do this for IC's? Or did I get ICs out of thin air?

Also what kind of price increase would you see by utilizing an OLED display instead of a char display? I ask because it might be better to use an OLED then a char; just because alot of parts will have a differnt number of needed lines to output the stats. It would be nice to see all that data at once; instead of flipping through screens and such.. Just a thought..

Edit2: What if you tossed the LCD completly and used USB? I mean even just terminal would be sweet.

What does everyone think? LCD or Terminal? I mean the thing has to be powered anyways; I would rather it be powered via USB then wallwart; just because USB is to available..

You know what I think I want to make? A Dangerous Prototypes terminal application; it would be a general use terminal but also with built-in tools for DP products. Like a BP gui and whatever else. Strap the DP logo on that bad boy; look sweet..

edit3: Oh and my vote on the name is Part Pirate, its becoming like a family of rapid development and hacking tools. Soon there will be even more BP Pirate Product line :D Like: Ethernet Pirate (lol i uno), Data Pirate, and the main new DP terminal app will be Pirate Ship :D
BrentBXR

Postby BrentBXR » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:13 pm

sorry i post so much but check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrQ5NwZH ... re=related

Man; that is cool.
BrentBXR

Postby ian » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 am

So I have not looked at the code for the AVR project yet but I assume what the device does is basicly loop through high/low/analog/adc through every pin and using that data figures out what part is going to be used.

Probably a small R and C network too, like the superprobe uses.
My question is how are you going to do this for IC's? Or did I get ICs out of thin air?

We have long discusses some sort of logic IC detector. It would have some patterns stored and twiddle pins until it found something that matched a known-profile. FOr storing stuff ike this, a PC app sending commands over USB is my favorite method to avoid FW bloat.
Also what kind of price increase would you see by utilizing an OLED display instead of a char display? I ask because it might be better to use an OLED then a char; just because alot of parts will have a differnt number of needed lines to output the stats.

Depending on the OLED, it could be the same (depending on mounting costs/difficulty).

Edit2: What if you tossed the LCD completly and used USB? I mean even just terminal would be sweet.

USB is great, but LCD can be done with 3 uC lines and a 595. It's no biggie to have both options on a PCB and populate what you want.

You know what I think I want to make? A Dangerous Prototypes terminal application; it would be a general use terminal but also with built-in tools for DP products.

There are a couple floating arund (pirate ship, others). I would like it too because most terminal apps are ancient, or total overkill.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby arakis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:05 am

I do not think IC testing will be possible, simply to many of them are out there, too many different pin configurations, maybe if the testing is delegated to a PC software over the usb, but even then there will be a huge database required.

Maybe some kind of a tester for their stats i possible. you select what IC is placed, and you test out some specs. like amplification, frequency response for opamps, or some sort of highest possible frequency for logical ICs. It would be useful because it would give us design constraints when using breadboards...
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby arakis » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:09 am

I second the option to toss the LCD and replace it with usb, the LCD will unnecessarily add to the cost, and some nice GUI is way better. I speak from my own opinion, cause I have access to a computer in my work area, as I am sure most of us here have.
best regards FIlip.
arakis
Crew
Crew

Postby Sjaak » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:49 am

arakis wrote:I second the option to toss the LCD and replace it with usb, the LCD will unnecessarily add to the cost, and some nice GUI is way better. I speak from my own opinion, cause I have access to a computer in my work area, as I am sure most of us here have.

I personaly like to see it on a small display (i.e. on the device itself) instead of a computer screen. Cheap lcds are ~5$, in bulk even less. I would also add an USB connector for PC control and firmware uploading.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby arupbsk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:59 am

arakis wrote:I second the option to toss the LCD and replace it with usb, the LCD will unnecessarily add to the cost, and some nice GUI is way better. I speak from my own opinion, cause I have access to a computer in my work area, as I am sure most of us here have.

Agree to Sjaak, Why make it non-standalone? A LCD (atleast a 3$ GLCD, or 1602) will make it standalone, and you don't need PC side interface.
USB/PC interface is obviously more functional, but the device shouldn't be made such that PC is mandatory. Basic functions should use LCD for this.
Still learning
-Arup
arupbsk

Postby arhi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 am

++for LCD
-- for OLED (oled's are nice but in most cases impossibly hard to mount for beginners)
-- for "only usb"

As for IC tester, here's one interesting:
http://electrofriends.com/projects/micr ... ic-tester/

Arakis, if you have time to search ES iirc there was one ic tester project based on 16F84 or '51, very old, was able to test/detect any 74* and 40* logic IC

I'm not too into ic tester as "detection" part is not that easy to make (as said the db is not small) and you can always use a good magnifying glass and goodle to detect it manually :) and it will always be better then ic tester. As for "Testing if it is working ok" then I'd say Ian's idea to make pc app and some script interpretter (like pickit2) on the mcu a better option ..
arhi

Postby Sjaak » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:19 am

arhi wrote:-- for OLED (oled's are nice but in most cases impossibly hard to mount for beginners)

There are several breakout for this, or we can ask seeed to mount it for us :) However with some flux and a steady hand it is a piece of cake. The only thing is you shouldn't fear it. I'll try to do a vid sometime :) I think a OLED is better readable, but smaller then a lcd.

arhi wrote:I'm not too into ic tester as "detection" part is not that easy to make (as said the db is not small) and you can always use a good magnifying glass and goodle to detect it manually :) and it will always be better then ic tester. As for "Testing if it is working ok" then I'd say Ian's idea to make pc app and some script interpretter (like pickit2) on the mcu a better option ..

I guess detection (out of the blue) would damage the chip as you most certain feed the chip through I/O lines. At least it will give strange results :)
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby arhi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:45 am

I don't have issues with OLED's myself, used them a lot with reprap project, but they are nasty .. either you have to solder them on board (and for that it's not "lot of flux" it's the very file iron, as I seen cable traces evaporate when using 350C soldering iron!!) or you need to use very complex easy to break and even easier to not work clamping mechanism ..

Wrt breakout boards for oled's - they are super expensive (at least all bb's I seen)

Now, one thing to remember with oled's is their pixels burn out !!! They behave like old hercules monitors, the material that glow burns out fairly quickly .. The reprap driver I used had some static text on oled while printing - that static text is unreadable right now as all pixels under it died. The part where "changing" text was is still there ... And note that this is after less then 1000 working hours (first pixels died after less then 200 working hours)
arhi

PreviousNext

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions