Dangerous component/part tester

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Re: Whats next for dangerous prototypes

Postby arhi » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:37 pm

I try to avoid ebay when I can, 'cause I have paypal and bank account in .us linked to my address in Chicago but I want them to ship me stuff to this god forsaken country and both paypal and ppl sending goods tend to have issue with that discrepancy .. So seeed / itead and similar companies are where I get most of that type of stuff ..
arhi

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:15 am

arhi wrote:I try to avoid ebay when I can, 'cause I have paypal and bank account in .us linked to my address in Chicago but I want them to ship me stuff to this god forsaken country and both paypal and ppl sending goods tend to have issue with that discrepancy .. So seeed / itead and similar companies are where I get most of that type of stuff ..

You can alter the address in paypall to an,alternative. Dunno if you may add a foreign address. I found the hard way as I had a typo in one of those addresses. Stuff got send wrongly to a couple of blocks away.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby arupbsk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:34 am

The AVR based tester looked so attractive and simple that I couldn't resist building one myself. I had all parts like mega8, lcd etc lying in my floor.
A couple of hours and it's ready in perfboard. No work though, I think firmware issues as double checking connections proved they are ok. I saw the source files does some UART operations which I can't figure out why. Guess I have to sit down and study the source in next weekend than I can get it working.
Attachments
100_1702.JPG
100_1703.JPG
Still learning
-Arup
arupbsk

Postby ian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:40 am

Nice work Arup!

I would be really interested in building a component tester if I can find the right DP spin for it. Maybe being public domain is enough :)

Edit - should I split the part tester to a new thread?
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:18 am

ian wrote:I would be really interested in building a component tester if I can find the right DP spin for it. Maybe being public domain is enough :)

I really need one, as I have lots of unknown, hard to read transistors/fet lying around. We could whip up a simple (PTH?) pcb for it and add it to the pcbstore/seeed. I would prefer also a smd receptable for sot23 and sot 223. the receptable can be just a pcb area.

Edit - should I split the part tester to a new thread?

I guess so :)
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby arupbsk » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:20 am

Splitting this to a new thread to the project ideas/development forum would be good as this is deriving a new project idea.

I also need such a tool.
A (DP made) tool that have both the functions of the above tester and the superprobe would be the greatest thing. Guess what, both devices are made with less external components and one central uC. A larger PIC(32KB) would be enough to do all these operations that is done by Superprobe and the above tester.
Additional features that we may include,
1. Resistor value estimator.
2. A function generator subroutine.
3. A USB interface for visualizing ADC data and logic status. (Like as in DSO , logic sniffer) Yeah channels will be only few, but we can add that feature easily.
4. Zener value estimator. (A small SMPS generating 100V@5-10mA and zener-resistor junction will tell the voltage).

Anything else comes in anyone's mind?
Still learning
-Arup
arupbsk

Postby ian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:02 am

I would prefer also a smd receptable for sot23 and sot 223. the receptable can be just a pcb area.

Nice! C and R too...

This solves a problem we were having with the super probe - how to make a usable device. Inst4ead of packing it into a pencil, we have a central box and regular banana plug probe cables from a multimeter.

This is also great for fair demos - a box of parts and you identify them :)
ian
Crew
Crew

Re: Dangerous component/part tester

Postby ian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:30 am

And a sketch. Part Pirate, or is it time for the Part Ninja?

I have to go, I'm supposed to be making a video about developing on the Bus Pirate :P
Attachments
ninja.png
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby ian » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:39 am

Adding - the small bread board area could be complete wired to a microcontroller for 74xx discovery too, or updated to test various ICs (USB scripts?). Depends on if we can get breadboards with through-hole connections on every row in our typical quantities.
ian
Crew
Crew

Postby Pisami » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 am

I don't know what there is on Asian markets, but I have never seen solderless breadboard with (through hole) tabs on backside. Maybe something like this http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MDM2OTg0OT ... YB_46.html and normal female headers would do the job? Or one can tear the tape off and solder bb to the board?

(Searching for the part number brought this: http://www.keifo.com/product.asp?pro_type=85)
Pisami

Postby arhi » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:18 am

Ian, maybe the DP can recombine the semiconductor tester with superprobe...
- use bigger mcu
- combine all options of superprobe and semiconductor tester
- pack in a nice case with nice lcd
- add serial / usb to send data to computer too

Sounds like a very doable and DP like project .. the only question is if you have resource (manpower/time ..) to make it
arhi

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:30 am

asdf wrote:I don't know what there is on Asian markets, but I have never seen solderless breadboard with (through hole) tabs on backside. Maybe something like this http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MDM2OTg0OT ... YB_46.html and normal female headers would do the job? Or one can tear the tape off and solder bb to the board?

(Searching for the part number brought this: http://www.keifo.com/product.asp?pro_type=85)

if you peal off the sticker, the pad are exposed (at least on my breadboard). Not a good option for large production run though :) I would suggest using female header (i.e. http://iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=199) or zif sockets for this.

I've seen a 74xx tester based on a reflashed epromprogrammer. That had some fpga/cpld for changing pins and applying power. http://openschemes.com/2010/04/29/turni ... est-bench/

However i would split this project into a superprobe + transistor part and an IC tester.
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby fcobcn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 am

I did my AVR transistor tester some time ago, it has been a great addition to my toolbox.
I couldn't find an available pcb layout for a DIP atmega8, so I did my own version, as you can see in the pictures, there's a missing trace.

A couple of things:
-The auto off feature is really good.
-Adding a rechargeable battery and circuit (MCP73831) would be great .
-Footprints for different packages would be also great, like in Ian's sketch, I had to create a SOT-23 adapter.

AVR transistor tester 1.png

AVR transistor tester 2.png

AVR transistor tester 3.png

AVR transistor tester 4.png

AVR transistor tester 5.png

I can look for the eagle files if needed.
fcobcn

Postby Sjaak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:53 am

nice build!

that adapter looks cool, is that workable? I'd guessed that it needs a solderblob on the contacts to make easier contact or some springs..
Sjaak
Fellow
Fellow

Postby fcobcn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:03 am

Sjaak wrote:nice build!

that adapter looks cool, is that workable? I'd guessed that it needs a solderblob on the contacts to make easier contact or some springs..

It does work, but a spring or clip would be a good improvement for it.
fcobcn

PreviousNext

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions