Little Wire - "Minimal AVR programmer and more"

Hardware incubation. See also our in development projects wiki.

Re: Little Wire - "Minimal AVR programmer and more"

Postby erdabyz » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 pm

kehribar wrote:Hi,

Can anyone test whether this driver works for 64bit win machines or not? : )

https://github.com/kehribar/Little-Wire ... p?raw=true

Best,
ihsan.

The driver gets installed without errors and I've been ableto succesfully program an ATMEGA328p. So yeah, looks like it works. Thanks for the support!
erdabyz

Postby Bluebie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:08 pm

I made a googly eyed LittleWire - internally it's all deadbugged - no PCB, and covered over with Sculpey and baked (my favourite kind of enclosure). It's been working great - I've been using it as my main avr programmer for about a week and had no trouble. :)

I can't post an image though apparently. Lame. You'll just have to imagine what it'd look like if you entered MGGzC on imgur's site

I also made a ruby library for using LittleWire for all the nonprogramming stuff! I can't yet post the actual url on the forum (says it's spam?) so you have to get to it's homepage via the link on it's github repo for now: https://github.com/Bluebie/littlewire.rb I'm pretty confident SPI works fine (I tested writing but not reading), but I haven't yet tested if One Wire and I2C/TWI work (In fact I'm pretty sure One Wire won't work seeing as I haven't implemented that yet :P) If anyone uses it for stuff I'd love to hear about it. The library requires ruby 1.9 and libusb, which are easiest to install on Mac OS via Homebrew, and in the usual ways on linux. It supports wiring-style calls like digital_write (or even digitalWrite) as well as more rubyesque syntaxes documented on the site.

Hopefully I can edit this post once the forum program figures out I'm not a spammer :|
Bluebie

Postby kehribar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi,

I'm just helping @Bluebie at this post.

This version of the Little Wire is the probably best derivative work i have ever seen! So cute and beautiful! Well done : )

Also,

This is a link to the rubygem page for the 'littlewire.rb' library: http://rubygems.org/gems/littlewire - documentation: http://rubydoc.info/gems/littlewire/0.9/frames

My blog post about "Using littlewire.rb on Windows" http://blog.kehribar.me/?p=226

Best,
ihsan.
Attachments
MGGzC.jpg
googly eyed LittleWire
kehribar

Postby vaclav » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:46 am

As a new user of Littel Wire I would like to make an intial comments / observation.
Currently supplied red LED is way to bright and in this day and age. It should be an informative indicator, perhaps in green color, and not a bright alarm indicator. I'll be replacing both limiting resistor and the LED color. Maybe the color was choosen because it is the most common color and maybe the cheapest.
I would also like to have means to mount the dongle onto another board , maybe a break away "tail" with mounting holes could be added to next version of the PCB.
I am still unable to connect the Little Wire to the PC and program it. It seems that there are numerous ways to activate it, but the header files are typically intertwined and mostly without decent comments what they actually do. One is left constantly Googling for them.
I am not saying I need step by step directions, but ... connect to PC and run xxx... just does not do it.
Especially when "... after doing this ... so and so won't work... you need to do this..."
I got stuck with "blink" C sample and now I am going backwards chasing header files!

How about a real sample of using Little Wire to connect PC via I2C?
vaclav

Postby kehribar » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 am

Hi!

I agree with the LED brightness issue. I will change it at the next release.

For the connectivity part, there are many examples including I2C and etc.

Please investigate gitHub page carefully. Official repo: https://github.com/littlewire/Little-Wire My branch: https://github.com/kehribar/Little-Wire

You just need to go: ./Little-Wire/computer_interface/C for V1.0 or ./Little-Wire/v1.1/computer_interface/C and hit make at that directory to compile all the examples.

If you want to browse them online, please look at https://github.com/littlewire/Little-Wi ... c_blinkM.c and/or https://github.com/littlewire/Little-Wi ... c_blinkM.c for I2C examples.

If you are using Linux you have to open the programs with sudo command. Like ' sudo ./blink ' At windows, it is not needed.

What is your exact problem? Are you having problems at compiling the examples or you are compiling the examples perfectly but you can't use the device?

ihsan.
kehribar

Postby matseng » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:02 am

I got bored this afternoon and decided to solder up a Little Wire, but it turned out that all my available Tiny85's in DIP was the 10MHz version so I decided to use a SOIC instead.

My level of boredom was not enough to actually etch a PCB for it so I did a freeform version of it. With a fine tip on the soldering iron, 0.4 mm solder, a stereo microscope and a hour or two of soldering and bending wires even an old fart like me can get the parts together without a PCB.

It's not my finest soldering job I've ever done, but I'm not too unhappy with it. Next steps will be to cut an USB cable and solder the wires into the circuit and then I'll make a small mold so I can encase it all in clear epoxy for durability.

FreeformSMDlittlewire.jpg
Parts, wires & solder - We don't need no stinkin' PCBs!

FreeformSMDlittlewireDetail.jpg
"Ugly" but not "Bugly" :-)
matseng

Postby dolabra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:49 am

wow can I borrow a little of your free time!
dolabra

Postby matseng » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 am

After soldering the USB cable to my freeformed SMD LittleWire (shown in a earlier post) and testing that it's detected by my laptop it was time to make it a bit more sturdy by encasing it in clear epoxy.

I used a the aluminum part of tealight candle as a mold and put some cooking oil on the inside of it in the hope that the epoxy would not stick to it.

It all turned out rather bad. The clear 5-minute epoxy became half transparent yellowish with a lot of bubbles stuck in it even if I tried to mix the epoxy as carefully as possible. And it stuck pretty bad to the aluminum. I should have used proper clear resin specifically made for casting and also used a vacuum chamber to remove the air bubbles.

Well, It didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, but the Little Wire works and kinda looks cool anyways so I really can't complain too much :-)

LittleWire-Mold.jpg
Mold for the Little Wire

LittleWire-Epoxy.jpg
Little Wire In epoxy

LittleWire-Running.jpg
Ooohhh... Shiny light.....
matseng

Postby hahihula » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm

vaclav wrote:I am not saying I need step by step directions, but ... connect to PC and run xxx... just does not do it.
Especially when "... after doing this ... so and so won't work... you need to do this..."
I got stuck with "blink" C sample and now I am going backwards chasing header files!

I was solving almost the same problems as you are. But cause I already solved it and I want to really simplify it for others (I am planing to show a class of children as awesome the littlewire is) I have build a ubuntu live cd clone with all done and examples compiled so burning it, booting and writing "./sudo blink" is everything you need to do. If you want I can upload it somewhere. But it is live - cause it is meant for demonstration purposes.
hahihula

Postby vaclav » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:02 pm

There are several things I have a problem with.
Starting with the title of this thread - what the heck is "minimal programmer"?
I am looking at this device as a great USB interface to PC, that it uses AVR chip is pretty neat but "programming the AVR" is not the function. Or is it?
I do not understand where the "bootloader" fits in and HOW to download the firmware. Those are the "steps" missing from the gamut of "I have used this and that ... to make this work...".
So I have the Windows driver installed, I can compile the C "blink" program( after I find all the necessary header files!), I have a green ( I replaced the anoying red LED) on the dongle and still have no clue how to install the firmware!

These are the steps I am looking for and if anybody feels I am complete ignorant , so be it.
I need some help here, please.
vaclav

Postby kehribar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi,

* Little Wire will work as an USBTINYISP compatible AVR programmer designed with minimal component count and form factor. "Minimal programmer" comes from there. Mainly i designed this tool as only an "AVR programmer" device at the first place.

* Normally, you *shouldn't* need to change the onboard firmware unless I released an update and you want to install it.

* If you compiled the blink program just run it on your computer. It will communicate with your device over USB and will blink the led connected to its header pins.

* Programs will run on your computer, you won't be modifying the onboard firmware. It has a generic firmware installed in itself.

Please ask if you have any further questions.

ihsan.
kehribar

Postby kehribar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:18 pm

@matseng

Great job! I hope you enjoy your experience.

I guess i'll need to start a contest to choose "most creative derivative of the Little Wire" : )

ihsan.
kehribar

Postby vaclav » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:58 am

Ihsan,
I am back to compile my first program.
The sample i2s_blinkm.cpp has only one header littleWire.h.
That header "#includes" other headers - usb.h,lusb0_usb.h (depending on OS) and opendevice.h.
I have all of these, but the compiler is complaining - missing "usb_dev_handle".
I am currently doing "search" for that structure definition.
Am I on the right track, or am I missing something?

I am pretty green using libraries. Perhaps I missed some files?
Do I have to build my own library from source?
I do not use Make, using old VC6.0

I also have problem copying source files from your site. The lines do not have CR/LF and it is a pain to fix that.
Vaclav
vaclav

Postby vaclav » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:09 pm

I did figure out how to download "raw" files. I think I can compile all soon.
vaclav

Postby kehribar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi,

I don't use Visual Studio for C programs therefore i can't be too much helpful.

Also, there are really only 4-5 files specifically related with the Little Wire and all of them can be downloadable from the gitHub account.

On the other hand, i don't deploy a copy of libusb release with the littlewire library, but you should separately download that. You can use that link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb- ... s/1.2.6.0/ That release has pre compiled lib files as well as necessary header files.

ihsan.
kehribar

PreviousNext

Return to Project development, ideas, and suggestions