I added in quite a bit of stuff, mainly the high voltage section of it. The reason it took so long for so little progress was because I have to work with what I have. I don't have much hardware tools, so it is very difficult and slow. :P
First, as always, pictures!
I started to think about the layout of components in the chassis, what I will want where, things like that. I decided that I will want a high voltage source from this (MOT, only 2 kV or so), which is also capable of reasonable current. Using a MOT with another MOT with a shorted secondary gives me enough impedance (?) to prevent the breakers from blowing. Problem is that it increases weight by a LOT. Each MOT weighs 20 or so pounds as a quick guess. I won't be moving this that often, so it is not a that much of a problem.http://8486.a.hostable.me/pictures/Power_supply_BIG/P1250100.JPG
As you can see in the above picture, there are a few noticeable components. The white cylinder at the top is a 15V cap, I forgot the capacitance but I think it was 68,000 uF. I will use that as a power source while the unit is shut down for the internal logic, such as a pic24F and the propeller. It should last a very long time with the PIC in the lowest power state and the propeller shut down, but I have yet to do the math and find out what the current usage will be in certain scenarios.
The PCB with components on the right is the psu that came with the original unit. It is a switching power supply, so I am hoping that it is efficient, more efficient than a mediocre transformer, as well as supplying a clean 5 volts. I will use that to drive the logic.
On the left, there is a MOT (Microwave Oven Transformer). These guys supply supply about 2,100 volts with a short circuit current of 16.5 amps usually. That is an excellent very high power high voltage power supply, but extremely dangerous. Only use these if you understand high voltage and all of the dangers/safety associated with it. If it does short with you in the circuit, you are most definitely dead. I will use this as a source of high voltage at high current for all my capacitor bank experiments. Charging them for a future TMS project I intend to do is one of the applications.
Under that is a small transformer that accepts 120v or 240v and sends out 20 and 12 volts, if I am not mistaken. I am going to use this transformer to power a few LM317's or other adjustable voltage regulators I find. This way the power sources that I get from this unit will not use up current from the switching power supply, so I can use a lot more current.
In the middle I have a perf board from radioshack. They are horrible, if you try to re solder a hole even twice, the copper layer just falls off, but they are all I have right now, so I will make due with what I have. I will use this board to hold the PIC24 and the propeller, as well as a few Fet's, transistors, and support circuitry.
The random gray ribbon cable is for a VGA connector in the back, that will be attached to the propeller. The VG will be used for a monitor to display voltages and current usage of each voltage output, things like that. Phew, that was a lot of text for only one picture! :P
This is what I will use for high voltage cable in the unit. I am fearful that the tape will not provide enough insulation from the high voltage, so in later pictures cover the wire with plastic tubing. At the end there is heatshrink tubing, which I later will shrink around the connector to the high voltage transformer. The core I got from some TV or something, I don't remember.http://8486.a.hostable.me/pictures/Power_supply_BIG/P1250103.JPG
I was considering using component cables because they seem to have good connectors, but after looking close up at it I realized that I do not think the connector will be able to handle 2 kV.http://8486.a.hostable.me/pictures/Power_supply_BIG/P1250105.JPG
In this picture you can see that I added in a MOT to provide ballast so no breaker will pop when the transformer is being used. It will basically act as a current limiter for high voltage which would allow at most 7 or so amps at 120 volts. This will give me 400 mA at 2100 V (840 watts). The tubing and insulation for the high voltage source is now seen. I used a thick plastic tube used for water as the main insulator to prevent the high voltage wire from touching the metal chassis.http://8486.a.hostable.me/pictures/Power_supply_BIG/P1250107.JPG
Here is the completed high voltage cable and probe. For the connection end I used a multi meter probe. I aim to have the possibility of using a flyback to generate an even higher voltage (40+kV), hence all the worry about insulation. Granted, the multi meter probe is rated for only 1kV, I am going to use proper gloves anyways during this, so not much worry there. I will have a holder for the probe when not in use, which will prevent arcing to something else if I accidentally enable it when I did not intend to.http://8486.a.hostable.me/pictures/Power_supply_BIG/P1250109.JPG
I still have a LOT to do. I need to start working on the digital work, as well as finish the mains wiring in the unit, specifically finish working on the relays to enable/disable the main transformer and high voltage transformer. I expect to have that done by tomorrow, and start working on the digital parts of it.
Thanks for being able to get through this long forum post, congratulations for making it through this boring post! :P