Skip to main content
Topic: Wrong PIC Detected (Read 4858 times) previous topic - next topic

Wrong PIC Detected

As I can't program an AVR with the BP and AVRDude, I tried the STK500v2 firmware and got this error ...

Searching for bl .
Found dsPIC30F6013 fw ver. 9.9.9
Wrong pic detected(7)/selected(212), aborting

Re: Wrong PIC Detected

Reply #1
Before or after flashing? Please provide a bit more info..

If i remember correctly you did flash your bp with a pickit. Did you just flash the bootloader and use that to load the main firmware or did you program both with the pickit? I have seen this error before when the ds30loader app is started when the normal buspirate is running

Reply #2
I flashed the bootloader with the PICkit, but I use the bootloader routine to flash any firmware with ds30Loader.

I rather use AVRDude and BP normal firmware (not working), rather than flash the STK500v2 firmware (not sure if it'll work), then go back to normal firmware to use BP as a UART bridge.

The BP passed the self-test without errors.

Reply #3
I assume the BP is still working?

Does the mode led go on with the pgc/pgd jumper in place? can you enter the bootloader with '$'?

Reply #4
1) I was able to flash using the bootloader routine ("$"), but after unplugging/plugging, the VREG LED is ON, like during the self-test, and no way to turn it off.

2) Do I have to go back to 4.1 to be able to use AVRDude? Problem is I'm not sure there's was a UART bridge functionality back then.

Reply #5
BP is unresponsive now with VREG LED on.

Unplugging/plugging doesn't help.

Reply #6
I did some reading for you (you did check the wiki??): http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/STK ... mmer_clone

from the notes section

1.Power supplies are always on. Use them if you like, or not.

BTW programming AVR isn't that hard, just a matter of reading and patience (ow.. you did edit it)

Reply #7
The thing is I don't want to use the STK500v2 firmware, even if it works I still need to go back to a normal firmware.

So the real problem is having AVRDude 5.10 and BP 5.9 working (you can see my post under AVRDude subforum), or go back to old bootloader/firmware.

I tried to flash bootloader 4.3 (BPv3-bootloader-upgrade-v4xtov4.3.hex), but I couldn't as the PICkit2 said the file was missing config words (or similar message).

Reply #8
v4.3 is only for upgrades, not programming:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/V4. ... en_and_odd

Firmware v5.9 seems to work with AVRDude again. I'm sorry I don't have any more suggestions for your AVRDude issues, but I only use it for testing and don't know the app. Maybe someone in the AVRDude forum/mailing list will have some suggestions.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #9
Just received a standard BP v3.6. BL v4.4. Firmware v5.1.

Fired up ds30 Loader GUI.exe, get the same error:

[font=courier:]Found dsPIC30F6013 fw ver. 9.9.9
Wrong pic detected(7)/selected(212), aborting[/font:]

What's going on? The BP has a PIC24FJ64GA002 chip!

pirate-loader.exe worked flawlessly.

Re: Re: Wrong PIC Detected

Reply #10
ver 9.9.9 is odd too. It is in bootloader mode?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #11
I might have run the GUI tool without going into bootloader. I don't know if bootloader mode is required like with the command-line tool, still, the error message about a wrong PIC was invalid and confusing.