Skip to main content
Topic: Web Platform v2? (Read 213665 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Web Platform v2?

Reply #300
[quote author="sqkybeaver"][quote author="marcelocamposs"]Dear Friends
I want to assembly the AT91SAM9260 Linux dev. board, sorry but i have some questions:
 - there are a linux image for that ?
 - what version of board can i use ? there are 3 i think, and i was confused
 - can i buy this board ? because i was looking in the site but is as "sold out"

thanks in advance
regards for all,

marcelo[/quote]
there was only the one board, i have run into problems getting the atmel boot assistant to initialize the ram due to the 16 bit bus.

there is a repository or two but without being able to use sam-ba i have not been able to test anything other than the voltage regulators and boot rom built into the micro.

a second revision has been talked about, but switching to a 32 bit bus may not be possible due to the already tight layout.[/quote]

Ok, so this is not running yet, i´m looking for a AT91SAM9xxxx linux board to made....
May be sothing like Bipom Gadget PC, i have one: great board but don´t have schematics license to reproduce it

thanks

marcelo

Reply #301
Hello Everyone. I feel I owe you all a serious apology. My work has kept me too busy. I believe this project could move forward if you could boot the initial atmel files with GCC. Without that, we are unable to program the flash with the at91bootstrap. Once that is done, U-Boot and linux will be relatively simple.

Reply #302
There will have to be an additional revision of the board, however i have this on pause until some software are solved and we are sure we can use a 16bit sram, it is already at the max free eagle size, and would have be moved to a 4 layer or larger board to accommodation a 32 bit bus

Reply #303
[quote author="sqkybeaver"]There will have to be an additional revision of the board, however i have this on pause until some software are solved and we are sure we can use a 16bit sram, it is already at the max free eagle size, and would have be moved to a 4 layer or larger board to accommodation a 32 bit bus[/quote]

OK. Well, I know I dropped off the face of the world. So I just wanted to post a quick apology. If we could use ram and nand similar to the at91sam9260evk, then we would not have to use the expensive compiler to rebuild the files for the sam-ba.....

Reply #304
Well I was going to suggest some Stellaris Cortex M3 parts with the built in Ethernet Mac/Phy and USB OTB but it looks like they are NRND :/ Those were really cool parts and there was also a POE reference design for the family.

Reply #305
given the age of this project, it may not be wise to continue to try to use the chosen cpu. there are many in stock around the world, however i expect these to be discontinued soon.

since this project has been started the beagle bone, raspberypi, and many others have been made available. IMHO its hard to justify going any further. although this has been quite the exercise there is a massive amount of errata for the dev kits involved and even for the silicon.

for those who have prototype boards work can continue, however there are many issues that still need to be worked out.

this board may be able to use a pin comparable arm 7, that has no need for external flash or ram.

If you don't have hardware, but want try getting it going, I will be glad to spend some time playing with it again.

Reply #306
Hello,

Among available commercial products, the cheapest is probably the TP-Link mini router tl-wr703n which can be found for 20$ on ebay (with AC adaptor and USB cable).
It has a 400Mhz mips processor, 32 Mb RAM, 4Mb Flash memory, a USB2 host port, a 100 Mhz Ethernet port, a wifi 150 Mbps

It can be reflashed with openwrt linux firmware which brings a huge software library and possibility to develop our own software.

https://openwrt.org/

Through USB2 port, it is easy to extend the flash memory (extroot) and to plug in any other extension (PIC based for example).

Then it is quite easy to build a "small" web server, simply using existing software packages.

A lot of applications have already been described on DP site and on the web for this router.

Best Regards
  JM

Reply #307
I like the idea behind original Web Platform. The only problem is the price. 40$ is a little high for me (as both hobbyist or developer). If you want to develop Web Platform V2, I like original microcontroller flavor. I would like to request more cheaper Mcu dev board with Web access support. Not a full blown linux board like Pi or Beaglebone.

If DP crew want to develop DB embedded linux board, I will be appreciated and eager to use. But it should not be Web Platform-2.

Reply #308
Perhaps a different approach is to not have a central processor in the first place.  Why not a mounting circuit for something like a Raspberry Pi Core or Edison, with sufficient glue to support required functions?  This could reduce your inventory cost for the board significantly, while preserving the "buzz" value of a fully-functional web platform, and using the new cores that are available.