Skip to main content
Topic: firmware for v1.04 hardware (Read 2228 times) previous topic - next topic

firmware for v1.04 hardware

Hi All,
A few years ago I bought  an Open Bench Logic Sniffer, hardware version v1.04. I thought it was a great project so I bought it without a specific use in mind. Now I've whipped it out with hopes of using it and I've been having problems. The client kept crashing on me so I decided to try and upgrade the firmware on it to something a bit more modern.

Using the ols-upgrader.sh script in the ols-0308 archive I believe I managed to get the PIC programmed. I say this because when I issue this command, I notice that it reports FW: 3.0.

$ sudo linbin/ols-loader -write -erase -p:/dev/ttyACM0 -wB:FPGAROM/logic_sniffer_3.07-Demon-Core.bit -t:115200
Logic Sniffer ROM loader v0.3 (November 9, 2010)
Opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' @ 115200 ... OK
Found OLS HW: 1, FW: 3.0, Boot: 2
Error - unknown flash type (48 01 46 03)
$
$ sudo linbin/ols-loader -boot -p:/dev/ttyACM0 -t:115200
Logic Sniffer ROM loader v0.3 (November 9, 2010)
Opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' @ 115200 ... OK
Found OLS HW: 1, FW: 3.0, Boot: 2
Error - unknown flash type (48 01 46 03)
$

The problem is that when I power cycle the board the ACT light blinks then stays on solid. From reading the forums I believe this means that the CPU is not talking to the FPGA (likely because the FPGA is not loading the bit file) and has timed out and defaulted into flash programming mode. Which is fine, but it seems that the software does not recognise the flash chip on my board (v1.04 hardware) so I cannot actually program the flash part. I assume 0x48014603 is a hardware id of the flash chip?

I have tried downgrading back to FW version 2.3 but I still can't manage to program the bit file to the flash using the above two commands.

What can be done to get the board back up and running? Do I need to use an older version of the firmware to use the older hardware I have? I have access to a good variety of programmers at work, I assume there is a flash programmer around somewhere that I could use to upload the bit file. I was kinda hoping that I could make this work how it was intended though. If necessary I can order i different flash chip, assuming of course that the pinouts haven't changed in future hardware revisions...

TL;DR
Questions:
What firmware versions should I be using to program onto my v1.04 hardware?
how can I program the bit file to the flash part?

Thanks for any input

Re: firmware for v1.04 hardware

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply! I reprogrammed the PIC back to version 3.0 with the tool provided in the ols-0308 archive, then I compiled the tool referenced in your first link:
https://github.com/robots/ols-fwloader
and used it to flash the bitfile to the SPI flash.

I guess i was using an old tool that did not like the hardware i have? Maybe the ols-fwloader tool should be added to the archive available here:
http://gadgetfactory.net/logicsniffer/i ... r.Download
I know there is some issues with ownership of websites, but i wus under the impression that the stuff there was up to date.

Anyways, thanks for the help!