Skip to main content
Topic: IR Toy Temperature (Read 5009 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: IR Toy Temperature

Reply #15
I have used the PICkit 2 before with no problems, but it couldn't detect the non-working IR Toy. I explained the experience in the "IR Toy Dead (Again)" thread.

I used a male pin header and hold it in place with one hand (bad contact?). The only way to revive it was to short PGC/PGD using the same pin header.

Reply #16
[quote author="liyin"]
I have used the PICkit 2 before with no problems, but it couldn't detect the non-working IR Toy. I explained the experience in the "IR Toy Dead (Again)" thread.

I used a male pin header and hold it in place with one hand (bad contact?). The only way to revive it was to short PGC/PGD using the same pin header.
[/quote]I have used the PICkit 2 with my USB IR Toy, and it recognized the PIC just fine.  If you're having trouble with a header that is held in place by hand, then I suggest soldering on an ICSP header to avoid these kinds of problems.  There's no good reason why a PICkit 2 would not work with the IR Toy.

By the way, I also have a PIC KIT2 clone from PIC16.com.  It costs about the same as the Microchip PICkit 2, but it has a cable adaptor for the ICSP which fits better on the tiny IR Toy PCB.  I don't necessarily recommend the product, but I mention it here because it also recognizes the IR Toy PIC just fine.

Reply #17
You're right, I'm wrong. I forgot the 18F2550 had a separate divider for the CPU clock. As far as I know, it is still impossible to disable PLL without setting the configuration bits with a PIC programmer (burning a new firmware), but you can manipulate the CPU clock divider from user code.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.