Skip to main content
Topic: Can't program bootloader on BP3 from BP4 (Read 3428 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't program bootloader on BP3 from BP4

I've just finished building my BP3, and am trying to program the bootloader with my BP4 using:

Code: [Select]
picprog -p buspirate -u COM3 -s 115200 -c 24FJ64GA002 -t HEX -w BPv3-Bootloader-v4.4.hex -E -V
COM3 is my BP4. -c is my target mcu. Using picprog v0.2

But i keep receiving this:

Found '24FJ64GA002' in programming database :) index = 2
Checking for 24FJ64GA002 attached to programmer...

Wrong device: 0X4704 (ID: 0X4704 REV: 0)

Version info for the programmer (BPv4):

Bus Pirate v4                                                                   
Firmware v6.3-beta1 r2151                                                     
DEVID:0x1019 REVID:0x0004 (24FJ256GB106 UNK)

I've not found any shorts and both of the programming pins are not shorted to ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Can't program bootloader on BP3 from BP4

Reply #1
You are sure you used the right chip on the new buspirate? It says the device-id is wrong (it is detecting an other PIC)

Reply #2
[quote author="Sjaak"]You are sure you used the right chip on the new buspirate? It says the device-id is wrong (it is detecting an other PIC)[/quote]
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty sure i'm using the right chip, i've taken some photos. It showing 0x0 for rev id does look wrong too.

PIC24FJ64GA002-I/SS

Continuity checks finds no faults. I'm really confused here. (I am entering the picprog command right after plugging the bpv4 in).

Where it says 'CS --> VPP/MCLR' i've gone ahead and attached CS on BPv4 to just MCLR. Is this correct?

I've just been wondering, that the intended LEDs have  Vf of 2.2V, where as the LEDs i've used have Vf 3.3v. This might sound stupid, but could that difference cause issues with power during programming?

It's quite strange as i get 'file is invalid' when i try to upload my other 2 jpegs, and can't paste the links as i get told it's spammy - the image below should be clear but i have another two just incase that i'll upload after i've been a member for 24 hours.

Reply #3
I decided to probe what was going on on the ICSP pins.

This is my setup:
[attachment=1]

And i was aiming to match this image that shows how to get into icsp programming mode, taken from the DP protopic wiki page:

And this is what i captured:
[attachment=0]

I'm very new to PIC programming, i know lots about AVR and close to zilch about PIC - does this look right?

Reply #4
EDIT: false alarm, it reads the right device ID but still 0x00 for device REV. but the fact that a different firmware on the BPv4 can read the correct device ID from an incorrect one tells me this is a fault of the BPv4. I wish i had a pic programmer to confirm this.

SOLVED Half THE PROBLEM.

turns out all the new firmwares for the bpv4 break picprog up to Firmware v6.1 r1676.

Only this firmware recognised the right pic! Unfortunately nothing was uploaded to the bpv3.

This is the output:
[attachment=0]