Skip to main content
Topic: Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs? (Read 10993 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs?

Reply #15
DHL try charging a "customs processing fee" or "quarantine inspection fee" in Australia which is pure profit for them. I say "try charging" because you can refuse to pay - they bill you AFTER you receive the goods <duh>. Customs say that unless DHL can produce the relevant documentation you shouldn't pay the fee, and AQIS say you shouldn't pay the quarantine inspection fee unless DHL can produce the quarantine inspection number. So the $25-$45 fee they try to levy on recipients of small packets and parcels is just their extra profit grab. You need to ring them and ask for the customs documentation or AQIS inspection number which they invariably "cannot find" and then generously "waive the fee" :)

I avoid DHL like the plague and always choose FEDEX who've never yet tried to levy these extra profit fees on any overseas package I've been sent.

Reply #16
DHL have charged me on both orders I've had sent with them.

I can't remember the exact rules but we get charged both VAT and Import Duty. One has a threshold (£18 AFAIR) and the other technically is payable in all cases. Most carriers will let low-value parcels through regardless, DHL appear to treat things like PCBs as being for business use rather than personal use in all cases so enforce charges. They also use a very unfavourable $ to £ exchange rate.

They have a flat £12 'handling fee' where they administer these charges. One order was sizeable so I needed to pay something like £25. The other was just a single set of 10x10 boards so practically no duty to pay, so the admit charge swamped the actual amount owed.

Personally, I treat it as an extra cost to get the boards quickly - after all, the cost to use DHL isn't massively more than the post cost but is much, much quicker. If there was a way to avoid it I'd be happy but I can live with it.

Reply #17
Just got billed £18 by DHL. After querying it because they didn't charge last time I used them for a similar parcel they said that any duty under £5 was not charged but over that it was the actual import tax plus their £10 handling fee, although I think they called it something else.
Anyway this would explain why some people are paying DHL and others are not.

Reply #18
There is no duty payable on Australian imported goods with a value under $A 1,000 at least until July 2017 when the low-value exemption is abolished (see http://www.pitcher.com.au/news/gst-be-i ... -australia).

Reply #19
Here in Canada FedEx, UPS, and DHL all charge "clearance fees". DHL is the least costly. There are no tariffs on PCBs and electronic components from China, just 5% tax which can be waived if under $20 for "low value shipments" (which is why packages sent by post to Canada have no duties or taxes). It makes no difference if going to a person or business (but business can be cheaper).

DHL charges a brokerage fee, a fee for converting from USD to CAD, and a clearance fee. So instead of a $2 or so dollars of HST you end up paying >$20. FedEx and UPS are worse.

Canada Customs (CBSA) does everything possible to help the courier companies. They don't care about collecting taxes on low value shipments, yet allow the courier companies to force customers -- who already paid for services -- to pay more when no payments are necessary. It's a cash-grab. I get several small shipments per month, and these cash grabs are costing me more than $1000 a year.

I self-clear, and recently filed and application with the CBSA to be "secured" which will let me pay duties and taxes at the end of the month and on-line instead of per shipment and at the nearest CBSA office. That should be coming into effect soon and hopefully it will makes things cheaper/easier.

Reply #20
I added a few new FedEx options, they seem expensive. Added PostNL registered post.

UPS does not currently seem like an option from our logistics supplier.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #21
Had the same problem here in Italy, but i've investigate it a bit further..
I had to pay 41€ for taxes and dhl fees for a 25$ order! This is due to the changes made to the invoice by the new site.
Before the upgrade only the cost of the pcb was reported in the invoice, making it below the 22€ limit for import duties, now the invoice include the shipping costs and the price is above the limit.
By the way this would not be a problem (i don't want to fraud italian taxes) but Italian duties (though DHL) added to my invoice 41€ of "transport fees" because it was not indicated in the invoice! I was unable to explain that the "DHL Shipping costs" ARE in effect "trasport fees" and they added an evaluated 41€ of value making the total price 63€.
Asking for more clarifications they told me that the sender should have labelled the dhl shipping as "Freight costs" so that they would not add an extra fee to the invoice and i would have to pay 5€ + 13€ for dhl = 18€.

So i'm asking: could we revert to the old invoice (specifying only the pcb costs?)

Reply #22
Thanks for your feedback, I'm really sorry that happened. I will change it to "Freight costs" immediately. The flip side of the problem is if I don't include that, then EU customs will add an arbitrary shipping (41 for you, 100 for sjaak). Maybe I can add an option to opt in or out of that? It seems like something that varies wildly by country and you'd be best off choosing how to include the freight on the invoice. Maybe you could even customize the line item text such as "Freight costs" or whatever?

Reply #23
Hello Ian,
both seems a good idea, an option to let it out of the invoice sound great.

Reply #24
Hello Ian,
i've to make a pcb, would you be able to modify the invoice?

Reply #25
The invoice will read "Freight Costs" as you described above, I already pushed a fix.

Reply #26
[quote author="ian"]I added a few new FedEx options, they seem expensive. Added PostNL registered post.

UPS does not currently seem like an option from our logistics supplier.[/quote]

Are PostNL tracking numbers available over at dirtypcb.com, maybe after few days?
Kind regards

Reply #27
Hi all,
I'm from Italy and I'm using the DirtyPCBs service since some years and I'm very satisfied of it.But in my last order I had an issue, I chose "DHL China" as shipping option (this is the first time since I always opted for airmail).The PCBs arrived after some days but I had to pay custom duties for a value which is nearly the cost of the order.The order was $35.95 and I paid 23.57 euro (roughly $27) for custom duties.Now I have to place another order so I wonder how I can avoid this to happen again (I want obviously a faster shipping with DHL).Is it possible to declare in the attached commercial invoice only the cost of the service (16.95 for the protopack) excluding shipping?Thanks.

P.S.
Is the DHL Hong Kong option the same of China one?

Reply #28
For my personal experience is that DHL don't know the shipping cost and assumes this to be 100USD (which is their gross price for shipping to EU). If you send in the invoice as you can download from the site before they deliver the package they can adjust the customs. Downside they can not deliver it to your address but to a nearby parcelhub.. Because the can't tell the driver the amount dutie has changed..

to me a lot of bullshit in order to make it inaccessible for hobbiest, but if you know the way it is doable. For me when I receive the text that something is heading to me and the customs-duty is due, I directly send an email to them with the correct invoice and ask them to adjust the duties..

I posted it before but here I blogged about it: http://smdprutser.nl/blog/dhl-dyscalcul ... dling-fee/

Reply #29
I recently tried FedEx to see if they were any better than DHL. Wasn't a great experience...

Firstly, their service seems a lot slower than DHL - they say 2-5 days but it seemed to take forever for anything to happen once they'd picked the parcel up and it was actually 6 working days before delivering.

Worst problem was that they delivered the parcel, then demanded a payment for duty. DHL always tell you the duty due first so if there is anything wrong you can query it before accepting the parcel. Fedex don't give you this option - you've already accepted it (and sort of hoped you've not been charged) then they hit you with a massively inflated bill you've got no way to query.

DHL also have a much better payment system - Fedex don't have any online option, you have to ring up and pay over the phone.

Went back to DHL for my latest order (thanks to Bernadette for sorting this) and the billing was seamless and delivery much quicker. Won't be going Fedex again. Don't mind a slower delivery if the import costs are cheaper but slow delivery and higher charges don't appeal.