Skip to main content
Topic: Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs? (Read 11134 times) previous topic - next topic

Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs?

I've talked to Ian about this, it's not a big issue, I'm trying to see if this is worldwide or local to Canada - I think it is the latter.

On a $US29 PCB order inc DHL (which is a bargain BTW) I pay about $US14 on receipt of the order.  The duty/taxes is 12% which is minimal, DHL add about $US12 of processing fees.  This not limited to DP, the google reviews of the local office are full of similar complaints - they're over zealous on collection of duty to profit on the fees.  Fedex/UPS/Post will let through up to $US200 with no duty.

I'm curious if anyone else eg. Europe sees issues like this.  I'm not expecting Ian will add Fedex et al just for little Canada, but if there's a bunch of people seeing this it might be worth his while.

Re: Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs?

Reply #1
In the Netherlands it is even worse.

Under 22 EUR (+-25$) for combined shipping and goods no duties are needed. more will add 21% VAT with I believe 20 EUR processing fees. Even worse when the shipping costs are not specified they assume the listprice which is insane (they assumed 100$ instead of 25$ for this packet). I did paid in the end about 50 eur for a 50$ total order :/

Getting extra paid money paid back is very cumbersome, it involved getting a letter from dhl, which allows me to make a complaint with customs. then  I need to send that letter, with the invoice to the customs. They process it in like 4 weeks. Then they refund it to dhl, which I should then ask to transfer the money to me.

Reply #2
I usually have to pay VAT on most imports but most of the times Dirty PCBs are under the values for customs.

I have to say I do prefer (and I'm not sure if its possible for you  to provide) Fedex.

I usually import via economy so while it takes longer after my first import with them I got them to link my business's credit card to my address so any import VAT automatically gets billed to it and they waive the £10 admin fee I get charged in the UK.

Reply #3
I remember the 29.95 fees for Dhl in Netherlands (or was it FedEx). If FedEx and ups are better I will add them. back. They have good base rates but always charged us an extra 5USD for door to door delivery than the supposed price. It got annoying so we just disabled them. Can add them back.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #4
Here in Malaysia at least, FedEx doesn't charge a single cent on custom clearing. They do it automatically and have the courtesy to SMS the tax amount in the morning before shipment arrive in the afternoon. DHL and lousy UPS charge some few tens of RM. At times more than the tax, and had to be instructed to clear the custom for you.

Reply #5
I found with Fedex the fees are only if you don't have your details with them. After I did my first import with them then the fees got waived.

I'm not sure about outside the UK but I know others and myself who have had DHL not send the invoices for VAT and then get the overdue invoice letters affecting our credit ratings.

But I'm happy either way.

- Ryan

Are you paying DHL on receipt of your PCBs?

Reply #6
In Greece if the total cost of goods originated outside the European Union plus shipping is less than 22EUROS (~25$US) and the goods are for private (ie no commercial) use there is no extra charge.

However for goods exceeding this value we have :

UPS/FedEx/TNT/DHL customs handling fees ~ 60-100 EUROS
+
Import Goods Duty 2% ... 100+% depending on goods duty class
+
UPS/FedEx/TNT/DHL Storage fees 10+EUROS/day depending on size/weight of parcel
+
23 % VAT on the TOTAL

The whole sport is VERY EXPENSIVE  !!!

Reply #7
Ok, seems like a lot of people are paying this but many of you regardless of the carrier.  Ian I guess putting Fedex back on the list would be cool but not sure you can justify the time.

Reply #8
Here in the UK I've been happy with DHL. They just send me an SMS to say I have VAT to pay and the charges (£4.19 for example) haven't had any crazy fees as I've had in the past with some other couriers.

Reply #9
I am also in Canada and DHL charges $10.50 processing fee and $4.25 transaction fee for every package I receive, in addition to the taxes & duty. The last two packages had duty & taxes of ~$3 but the additional fees brought the COD cost to $20.

I called DHL and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to avoid the $10.50 processing fee, other than self-clearing. The transaction fee can be avoided by setting up a brokerage account (requiring a credit application). Self-clearing, which I have done in the past with UPS, is a significant amount of additional work.

FedEx is nice because duties & taxes charged to an account don't incur any additional fees. Setting up a FedEx account is easy and free, even for residential customers.

I do like that DHL allows the COD charges to be paid online with a credit card before delivery.

Reply #10
Please add other couriers. We have to pay penalty fees over the R1000.00 (ZAR) and it takes forever to get customs to release it once they have flagged it because of the low amount that DirtyPCB's declare.

Reply #11
Bristol, UK.
No charge so far with DHL Hong Kong.

Reply #12
Chicago, USA. So far no charges from DHL.

Reply #13
I already had similar problem with a company over charging processing fee for custom clearance in Germany.

The resolution was simple, I refuse to pay those fee and cleared the tax directly with the custom office. At least in Germany, no company can decide to give a service, and then tell you that you need to pay for something you didn't ask for!
They always presented it like it was the way to do thing, and that THEY need to do the custom clearance. Actually sending the bill (or order confirmation email) was enough, I transfer the money directly to the custom service bank account and a few days later my package was delivered without additional fee.

Reply #14
I got my pcbs via DHL to Austria, no tax to pay. Shipping time vs shipping costs is also incredible. Ordered some on Feb 26th with regular shipping and upgraded shipping to DHL on another order. Shipping vie DHL took about 4 days, regular ones arrived after 40 days.
Won´t think twice the next time when I order.
philipp