Skip to main content
Topic: Bus Pirate v4 developer hardware available now (Read 31710 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Re: Bus Pirate v4 developer hardware available now

Reply #15
Version 4 looks great man. I do have one insy binsy itty bitty thing. Although I own one of those BP cables (color coded) i
a) cannot use it with BP4
b) Perfer using female jumpers

The only complaint I got is the pins are no longer labeled on the stop of the board. so I will have to write a cheat sheet or flip it over everytime i need to connect it to something.

not a big deal at all; just perhaps in future designs it would be nice to have it back.

Reply #16
Good call, we need to get that on v4.
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #17
Also along those lines; how do you feel about getting rid of the colors on the 'v' menu? I say this because:

A. version 4 doesnt even have a colored cable yet, does it?
B. Sparkfun's cable colors are differnt as I understand it (reversed right?)
C. It may cause issues for users who hookup wrong polarity and such.

It might be somthing to consider; just using the PIN names and numbers instead of any color coding...

Or if you want to get crazy; we should add a 'BP Settings' screen and you can color code (or just label) the pins how you want and store it in the EEPROM) Like in the settings it has:
Code: [Select]
1. Label/Nickname PINS in the Bus Pirate interface 
Settings> 1
Labeling Pins in the BP Interface
Labels must be no more then 6 chars, longer strings will be cut automaticly.
Label PIN 1 = GND> BLACK
Label PIN 2 = 3.3v> ORANGE
Settings>#
HiZ>v
1- GND    2- 3.3v
BLACK    ORANGE
0.00 v    3.26 v

:D That would be sweet! Just thinking outside the box! Then if you have some special project and you need to label your pins to match the projects pinouts its a possibility to digitally review which pin goes where!

That would be sweet too; if there was a Macro in each mode that printed out the pins you need like:

UART>(14)
UART> PIN 0 = GND > TO Ground
UART> PIN 5 = MISO > TO RX
UART> PIN 7 = MOSI > TO TX

That would be really sweet! and quite easy if you like that Idea let me know; I could easily pop that in there once I get the translation thing down :D and it should always be the same macro for each mode, I think (411) would be perfect! if the macros can go above 255 which I think there ints right? so they should! (411 = information in USA I dont know about other countrys.)

Reply #18
We do need to address both the cable, and the colors shown in the info screen. SparkFun cable (was?) backwards from ours, and on some Bus Pirates the shroud was also positioned so that seeeds cables were flipped. Making it adjustable, or just removing it all together, solves that issue.

Reply #19
[quote author="BrentBXR"]
That would be sweet too; if there was a Macro in each mode that printed out the pins you need like:

UART>(14)
UART> PIN 0 = GND > TO Ground
UART> PIN 5 = MISO > TO RX
UART> PIN 7 = MOSI > TO TX

That would be really sweet! and quite easy if you like that Idea let me know; I could easily pop that in there once I get the translation thing down :D and it should always be the same macro for each mode, I think (411) would be perfect! if the macros can go above 255 which I think there ints right? so they should! (411 = information in USA I dont know about other countrys.)[/quote]

This is already in the 'v' screen done. Every mode has its own string in the bpstrings that get printed when the mode is active. Moving it to every protocol is a waste of programspace IMHO. I know there is atm lots of space, but we run into this before (hence the v4 :))

About the cable colouring I personally want to ditch this option completely. It gave us lots of headaches, userquestions, troubles. Ian told the very short version of the cableproblem.

Re: Bus Pirate v4 developer hardware available now

Reply #20
Ian told the very short version of the cableproblem.

no kidding. lol. In one of the videos I did a full talk and demo of the cable issues. In editing I was like 'who would ever want to watch this?' and removed it.

Reply #21
Hi
How to buy your hardware please send me distributor list

Reply #22
[quote author="DattaHinge"]Hi
How to buy your hardware please send me distributor list[/quote]
BP v4 is available at Seeedstudio, I believe it is a primary place to get it.
However, to get it stable you would probably need to update its' firmware.
Here is a link to the latest firmware v7.0 - http://http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8498