Skip to main content
Topic: No Network Activity (Read 9306 times) previous topic - next topic

No Network Activity

Well after the programming trouble, I programmed the Webserver with the PICKit2 very easy! But now I'm a bit lost, I'm fairly new to all this, so please if anyone can help me. I flashed the "TCPIP Demo App-C30.hex" file, I did not change anything I just programmed it into the Webserver. Now when I connect a UTP cable to it and a 5V power source, the LED closest to the ISCP header is starting to flash about every second, the other LED's for network activity do not light up, also the lights on my router stay off so there seem to be no connection.

I have started the MCHPDetect.exe tool and also nothing.. As stated in another thread, I have tried to connect the MicroSD socket, but I'm not sure if I have the correct pinout, but can that be the reason I have no network activity? can someone help me please, I just don't know where to start.

Thanks,

Ramon

Re: No Network Activity

Reply #1
Ok found the problem, I had a wrong RJ45 socket, I used a PulseJack now, I have connectivity, a IP is broadcasted (192.168.1.131) but when I ping the connection is not very stable, it times out allot! I get an answer 3 times and then 6 times a request time out.

Anyone any suggestions?

Reply #2
Do you have the correct pulsejack? I had that problem for a long time with an ENC28J60 because my jack was reversed from the footprint. TCPIP and your router probably have enough error correction for it to work occasionally, but it won't work all the time.

Also, check the rbias resistor value is correct, but that's hardly ever a problem.

Can you post a picture?
Got a question? Please ask in the forum for the fastest answers.

Reply #3
Thanks Ian, to be honest I could not find the PulseJack described in the HackADay article, so I used another one. I can't order by mouser, only by Farnell and RSOnline, and I could not find the part there. I have attached some pictures of my BC WebServer. Do you know another source where I can get the exact same PulsJack as you where using?

Reply #4
And one more, I could not edit my post so..

Reply #5
Nice self-made board. It looks like you have J0026D21B. I believe that the J0XXX is the inverse of the J1XXX, it was the datasheet I looked at when I made my first (broken) web server. Check the J0026D21B datasheet against the J1006F21 datasheet, if the contacts don't match you've found the problem.

I don't know of another source. I used to get them from mouser, but now I'm using a different, generic jack from china.

Reply #6
Unfortunatly they do match, the schema's are a little different, but I don't know if that is a problem, the pinout looks the same.

Reply #7
Ian, do you have a Eagle layout of the WebServer with the new generic RJ45 jack?

Reply #8
I notice you say you can only order from Farnell or RS... are you in the UK?

Regarding the RJ45 jack problem... I got mine from Farnell, it was a magjack with built in leds but you can get a version without LEDs that has the same pinout as the one on the original layout. I'll have a look for the part number when I get home.

Reply #9
[quote author="bluesign2k"]
I notice you say you can only order from Farnell or RS... are you in the UK?

Regarding the RJ45 jack problem... I got mine from Farnell, it was a magjack with built in leds but you can get a version without LEDs that has the same pinout as the one on the original layout. I'll have a look for the part number when I get home.
[/quote]

No I live in the Netherlands, when I want to order something from mouser they charge 20 euro to ship to the Netherlands, Farnell is free and RS is 5 euro or something. I love to get the partnumber from Farnell.

Reply #10
Your RX is center tapped at the ethernet side instead of the PHY side, I don't know if that's a problem. The ENC28J60 doesn't use the RX center tap, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Can you also check that the pinouts on the recommended footprints are the same? I think I had a problem with inconsistent pin 1 placement in Pulse jacks.

I don't have an updated PCB for the WSBC v1, and failed v2 used the same jack. I've designed a new 'web platform' from scratch (more on that in October). It uses the cheap jacks. I don't think you can get them, Seeed sold me a box of them special to develop my upcoming projects.

Reply #11
[quote author="ian"]
Your RX is center tapped at the ethernet side instead of the PHY side, I don't know if that's a problem. The ENC28J60 doesn't use the RX center tap, but that doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Can you also check that the pinouts on the recommended footprints are the same? I think I had a problem with inconsistent pin 1 placement in Pulse jacks.

I don't have an updated PCB for the WSBC v1, and failed v2 used the same jack. I've designed a new 'web platform' from scratch (more on that in October). It uses the cheap jacks. I don't think you can get them, Seeed sold me a box of them special to develop my upcoming projects.
[/quote]

Whow Ian, I'm afraid I need some translation ;)

What do you mean by this:

Reply #12
If you look at the footprint for the parts, they number the pins differently for these two jacks. Here's the footprints for both, 06 left, 26 right, rotated to go the same direction. Note that pin one is not in the same place.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me, except that I made my board with a 26-style footprint and it didn't work with my 06 jack. If you had a debugger, or used Etherreal to view the net traffic, you'd see all kinds of TCP re-transmit requests because the chip only gets a few packets correctly.

Reply #13
If you spend 75EUR with Mouser, shipping to EU is free. I don't ever need that much stuff at once though.

Reply #14
Lady's and Gentleman, we've gottem!! It works! Ian, thanks you had the golden tip! I looked at the datasheets and the row of pins had the same numbering, except the whole thing was reversed at one datasheet it was front - back and with the other it was back - front on the image! It works now, even the microSD works great! I have the test site on ot now!

I'm going to change the Eagle layout now so that I can use my PulseJack and the new SparkFun MicroSD, I found a eagle lib for it!

Thanks all for helping me out!