Skip to main content
Topic: Cheaper PCBS on the dev site and $.95/gram SLA 3D prints (Read 151251 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cheaper PCBS on the dev site and $.95/gram SLA 3D prints

Reply #75
http://dev.dangerousprototypes.com/store/pcbs

Does anyone know if the site is down? Tried to log on a couple of times now and getting nothing?
Tony

Reply #76
I know ian did a major update on the code on the devsite. for me it seems to work and I can upload gerbers to the site.

Perhaps you tried during the update?

Reply #77
I've used DirtyPCBs a few times before with good success. I've just placed an order using DHL rather than post and the cost seems to have come out very low - DHL HK at $25 for 4x 10x10 protopacks.

I know the site had some issues calculating postage - have these been fixed or is this still wrong? When I've used 3pcb to quote in the past their carriage on a similar size / weight order would be a lot higher.

Happy to pay the extra if this is wrong - order number is 200486.

Reply #78
[quote author="Sjaak"]I know ian did a major update on the code on the devsite. for me it seems to work and I can upload gerbers to the site.

Perhaps you tried during the update?[/quote]

It worked for me back in November when I last ordered some boards but I've just tried to log on now and still getting nothing.

I could log on over Xmas but every time I tried to add a board to the cart I got:

An Error Was Encountered

Unable to load the requested class: pcbs_quote

and Maz237 reported the same problem.

I've tried a couple of different PC's and browsers now with no luck, so not sure what the problem is :-(
Tony

Reply #79
I tried dev.dangerousprototypes.com and the shop link goes to something without pcbs or sla printing as an option.  Some of the merchandise has changed price, and I think there are some new things as well.

Reply #80
PCBs and 3d printing have been moved to the services area of the store, there are not direct links off of the "shop" option of dev.dangerousprototypes.com .

Reply #81
Sorry if I look like a fool.

What's something like "4x 10x10 protopacks"?

I'm sorry a lot, I don't understand this jargon :(

Reply #82
I ordered 4 times a protopack (which is between 6 and 12 PCBs) of a 10x10cm PCB. THe protopack is a bit cheaper then 10 PCBs as there is a certain uncertaintity. If you design your board with lots of tolerance and clearance the chances are you get more then ten, when you seek the edges of the manufacturing process chances are you getting just 6. THis is ok for prototyping as you'll probably never need more then that.

Reply #83
What's something like "4x 10x10 protopacks"?

Maybe I should have said 4 off 10x10 protopacks? As Sjaak said, I've ordered 4 different protopacks of 10x10cm size. The Protopacks are a great idea, especially as the can be panellised. I've got 2 or 3 designs on each one so should get about 8 or 10 different PCBs in total. They are for testing so I only really need 2 or 3 of each but if they work I can use the surplus as the first production units as well.

Slightly concerned over the processing time - been 6 days since I ordered and they are still in production. Previous orders have been a lot quicker than this to go from order to shipping, although considering the point of the service it's nowhere near being too long.

Reply #84
[quote author="sghughes42"]
Slightly concerned over the processing time - been 6 days since I ordered and they are still in production. Previous orders have been a lot quicker than this to go from order to shipping, although considering the point of the service it's nowhere near being too long.[/quote]

An order I made in December still shows "In Production" as well, but the boards arrived yesterday.

Reply #85
Ah, OK, hopefully I'll see them soon then. I have received shipping notifications for previous orders.

Do you know if we get given a tracking number if we select DHL as the delivery method?

Reply #86
[quote author="sghughes42"]Ah, OK, hopefully I'll see them soon then. I have received shipping notifications for previous orders.

Do you know if we get given a tracking number if we select DHL as the delivery method?[/quote]

The last time I got an SMS from dhl about my parcel before the site had updated the status. AFAIK some things are done manual at this time in the backend, so the status isn't always as acurate as you wish. I hope it will be fixed soon. It had a tracking number included.

Normal turnaround time is 5-6 days for normal processing. Also keep in mind board are only send off on monday, wednesday and friday to the boardhouse

Reply #87
Hello everybody, first time poster here (but I have been lurking around for some time).
I just sent my first protopack (100mmx100mm) order on the dev site, but I have an issue with the rendering of the preview. In fact, even though I submitted the order 14 hours ago, the picture shown is still the placeholder, so I wonder whether it is a problem with my files (I uploaded the gerbers in a zip file, using the CAM export file for DirtyPCBs - but it's still the first ever PCB that I have ever sent for production) or if it is something else. Gerbers open nicely on gerbv...
[Order #200647]

Reply #88
Mine did arrive Monday and still has the rendering icon ;) and they turned out perfectly with all the errors I put into the gerbers :D

Reply #89
[quote author="Sjaak"]Mine did arrive Monday and still has the rendering icon ;) and they turned out perfectly with all the errors I put into the gerbers :D[/quote]

Great! Thank you.